Looking for a certain uke

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
I had been looking into various types of ukes that I would like. I'm really just set on staying in that $300 import range. I really like some of the kala spalted maple, but I dont like the spruce tops on them...I would like to see a cedar top on them not only to warm the aesthetic, but also the sound. I'd also like to see cedar tops on mahogany back and sides...I'm just not a big spruce top ukulele guy right now.

I'm looking for something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KALA-KA-KTE...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5639d50d34

There many ukes out there of this type?

Also, I'm really interested in a concert, but it needs a good pickup much like the one in the picture...but I dont see concerts with pickups. Concerts with pickups...what are the options?

Are you still considering the acacia, too? I don't know much about the one you're mentioning here, but I really like my tenor acacia. Nice tone and beautiful wood grain. Not too bright, but not dull to my ears. Good luck, though.

yeah, I'm pretty sold on the acacia, but all my obsessing has led me to some questions about why I'm not seeing certain combinations.

I had been looking into various types of ukes that I would like. I'm really just set on staying in that $300 import range. I really like some of the kala spalted maple, but I dont like the spruce tops on them...I would like to see a cedar top on them not only to warm the aesthetic, but also the sound. I'd also like to see cedar tops on mahogany back and sides...I'm just not a big spruce top ukulele guy right now.

I'm looking for something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KALA-KA-KTE...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5639d50d34

There many ukes out there of this type?

Also, I'm really interested in a concert, but it needs a good pickup much like the one in the picture...but I dont see concerts with pickups. Concerts with pickups...what are the options?

Why not buy the uke you mentioned? Cedar top, koa sides and back, concert size, with pickup....sounds just like what you're looking for, and right in your price range. This Kala model is available from MGM with a free case and his expert set-up for $338....

Another thought....

I wouldn't let the lack of a pickup be a deal breaker. Pickups are reasonably priced and easy to install. The MISI trio system is available for $109 online, for example. If you find just the right uke, but without the pickup....buy it and have the pickup installed later.

I swear I heard of a uke that was cedar top with mahog sides and back but I can't remember what.

I guess you have rejected the idea of building your own? Judging by the cigar box ukes on your website it seems you have a lot more talent than the majority of us in that area..

Mainland ukes are highly regarded on uu. My next uke will be a mainland red cedar tenor. It's under 300 dollars. I would check out what they have to offer you!

Last edited:
Another thought....

I wouldn't let the lack of a pickup be a deal breaker. Pickups are reasonably priced and easy to install. The MISI trio system is available for $109 online, for example. If you find just the right uke, but without the pickup....buy it and have the pickup installed later.

I put a fishman under saddle pickup on my kala mango tenor. It was 74 bucks, took 20 minutes and sounds SWEET! A piezo pickup is even cheaper and easier to install.

Top Bottom