Intonation Drift, what is acceptable?

casarole45

Reaction score
I need to know what people class as acceptable for intonation of the fret board. I'm currently playing a uke, the intonation is really impressive until you hit the 'A' string. At the 12th fret it falls 1/4 step flat.

It's really noticeable when playing, and quite frustrating as I go up and down the fret board.

I ran it through a tuner being careful to play the note precisely and it's coming up about 25cent flat.

But is this classed as acceptable for a uke (I guess its really noticeable as its a high pitch)??

Last edited:
Is this on the SK-35G? Or the Concert?

I have to say. I love sopranos. But I also think it's fair to say what you are describing is not uncommon. At the 12th fret on the A string: it's easy to push the string ever so slightly "in." Even on a concert.

For you it's not acceptable, and that's what matters. Assuming that the strings are OK, not too new, not too old, what kind of strings are you using? People report improvements w/intonation with changes in string brands.

concert, problem is though as its flat I'd have to push the string in really hard to get it up closer.

strings are two months old Aquilas but as far as I know I'm the first to play them (for a couple of weeks now).

Maybe fretwork (minor) at the 12th would help. Are you happy though with the overall sound and playability? Believe me, I know how something like that can even become a dealbreaker over time.

yep love the uke, its sounds, looks and plays great apart from the above mentioned issue... but you know, once you start noticing something it gets more of a big deal.

I might have someone look at it, a shop you trust for eval, suggestions first, before just doing the fretwork.

Last edited:
It is much more likely to be the strings. If it is primarily the A string that is goes flat at a particular point on the fretboard, it is likely that the string does not have an even diameter. This is quite common. Nearly every company uses Aquila strings. Exactly the same thing happened to me with my brand new Kanile'a concert. I was desperate until I realised the problem.

The strings supplied to the ukulele companies sometimes have a bad string amongst them and this is often the A. Before you start filing down frets, please check this.

After chatting to luvdatuke I've ended up sending it back, I wasn't really confident messing around with setups on accoustic instruments when its still under garentee and I feel a bit stronger now that I'm not happy with that amount of drift. its a UK based company so not to expensive. Hopefully they will check the strings out. But the company does do a setup before they send it out so whether this was picked up and decided to be an acceptable amount of drift I don't know, that kinda leads back to whether its an acceptable amount or not....

Last edited:
1/4 step is a lot of variance. 5 cents is more reasonable, but still too much for me. Absolutely perfect is kind of an unreasonable expectation, but my opinion is that is should be within a few cents. Just my opinion on things though.

Just out of curiosity, did it gradually get flatter as you moved up the board, or was it only at the 12th?

Like luvdatuke said, if it is too much for you then it is too much.

Take care,
Thomas

It gradually got flatter I think, unfortunately I've sent it off now so can't retest it all, but believe me I was pretty thorough. The other strings were about maximum of 5cent flat at the 12th fret (fretted) though I didn't check those ones very thoroughly so don't take that as an accurate reading, I'm guessing with temp changes and lots of other varients its going to fluctuate by a few cents. It's mainly the 'A' string I was concerned with.

So then what's the wait on that? Do they work on it or send you a new one?

not sure yet, they've got to check it over which is fair enough, they said if they've got one with better intonation they can send it out, if not they can either refund or order another in. Or if I'm not into the instrument I can just get a refund. Can't ask for more than that. The only difference is, if they class it as a fault then they cover the return postage, if not I pay it... didn't ask whether they'd class it as a fault though and postage is not to bad.

.... I'll give them a ring and ask them to check the string like Ken suggested.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. If you opt for the refund, consider an Ohana or a Mele.

Cheers bud.

I've already got an Ohana CK-75CG on order... and have been eyeing up the CK-50GS...

Don't know anything about Mele, I'll have to look at some of there stuff.

I really like Mainland, I'm sure its just one of those things. Though this is the second of two internet orders I've done that has gone completely arse up 'doh (ref. Kala thread).

If it got gradually worse as you went up the board it is likely that the saddle was not compensated correctly. But a bad string is always a possibility too, as already mentioned.

Take care,
Thomas

Perhaps a new saddle can be made, properly compensated to fix most or all of the problem. 25 cents is 1/4 of a one fret difference and certainly would not be acceptable to me.

I love my Ohana CK-75CG, and my next "fix" (in June) should be a Mele Concert Pineapple (mahogany). I would like to know your thoughts. Could you write a review?
Thanks.

if the frets were off you would see it in the spacing, it would be obvious like in a home-made job. Saddle or strings can be changed. My sopranos have come with high action and old strings and were quite a bit off until I lowered the action and changed strings, also, changing the type of strings can help. Flourocarbons seem to have better intonation than nylon or Aquilas.

On my ukes my strings get thinner in the middle (right at the 12th) after tuning time and time again. I believe this makes them go flat on the intonation, and the thinner the string the worse the stretching is. I don't use Aquilas anymore partly because I always ran into this problem. My A string would have horrible intonation while my other strings were ok. I'd suggest trying Flourocarbons as clayton56 said. I've had good experiences with them too. Changing your nut or saddle will usually alter all your strings on all frets to some degree. Good luck.

I got my Ohana SK 25 in the mail two days ago with aquilas on them, and it was great except that the A string got flatter as i went further up the fretboard, noticeable at the 7th, and almost 20 cents flat at the 12th fret. I was upset until i remembered this thread, took Ken's advice and replaced the string and voila! intonation solved. A good example of the benefits of the UU forum (for me, at least. It saved my uke!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom