new string confusion...

Yes, many choices. Strings are a continuing thread at UU. A search will give you as much information as you'll find anywhere.

What it will come down to is:
Each brand or type of string will sound different on YOUR ukulele. The only way to know for certain what sound you prefer is to put the strings on, allow them time to stretch into playing condition, play with them on for some time, then decide if you like them or not. Time consuming, yes. And by then you won't remember what the original strings sounded like in the first place. Experiment some. It will cost you the price of a set of strings or two, but that's part of the game.

Any change of strings up from the standard (GHS) strings will get you different sound. What sound you like is entirely up to you.

Best way to see different strings in action is to find a ukulele group and listen to what those people are using.

Being consistent from one brand to the next when changing strings will produce similar sounding results (switching out an old set of Brand X for a new set of Brand X).

These are the strings available for Concert/Soparano Ukuleles. The 63 inch lengths are for tenors. Don't forget, these are double sets.

Clear Fluoro-carbon CM-LG (Medium Low G) 46 inch strings
Clear Fluoro-carbon CD (Hard) 46 inch strings
Brown Fluoro-carbon BL (light) 46 inch strings
Brown Fluoro-carbon BE (extra) 46 inch strings

Last edited:
The Worth Clears are a bit crisper in the treble. The Worth Browns a bit more mellow on the treble. For me, I use Worth Clears on most of my ukuleles, with Worth Brown on my Ohana Zebrawood Soprano. If you think your ukulele has too much bark, go for the Brown strings. On my Kanile'a I have Aquila for the CEA strings, and non-wound Worth Clear for a Low G.

–Lori

I greatly prefer Worth Clears over Browns. I tried Brown Extras on my Mainland Concert and didnt like them at all. They are very thin and just sounded aweful IMO. Some people like them, but I couldnt stand them

Top Bottom