Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Tenor

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • Baritone

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

Mim

Reaction score
Doing some research. I did a search and did not see this... so I hope I not re-asking something asked a lot.
But these poll results will be very helpful to me!
Thanks guys!
You know I love my UU peeps!

My first exposure to ukulele was on a cruise ship. We had cheap plastic sopranos to use. When I told the instructor that I needed to buy an ukulele while we were in Hawaii, he suggested a concert size as the soprano frets seemed too small for me. I'm glad I got a concert. But 2 years later a soprano is fine too Amazing what practice does. Now I have a tenor too and I'm finding that it seems too big.

Last edited:
My first ukulele and the only size that I play so far is the concert size. Tried the soprano size but it was much too small. Tried the tenor size too, its much bigger but I can play it.

First one was a baritone that used to belong to my grandfather. First one I purchased was a soprano. I like all the sizes equally. :B

All my ukuleles are sopranos.Anything larger would be cheating.

My first was a Kingston Japanese soprano bought in Canada when I was about 10. It wouldn't stay in tune, but then I couldn't either

My first uke was an Applause UA-10 soprano which I played for three months. Then I bought a Kanilea super concert from MGM and UAS was born. The Applause is basically unplayable now, even after upgrading the strings. My 10 year old will get it as soon as I can spark his interest.

My first was a soprano and my signature lists them in purchase order.

Regards,
Ray

A Harmony soprano that dad gave me in the 50s as a kid, and I still have it. Recently when I got the bug to play, I tried them all except for the Baritone and the concert was just right, with the tenor a close second. I actually liked the extra frets and scale of the tenor for playing instrumentals, but the tenors just didn't have much of the classic small box tone of a soprano, and the concert did. I have a vintage Martin and the old Uke has that dry woody tone, with plenty of power when needed, and it sustains 'till the cows come home. :drool:

My parents gave me a soprano banjo uke around 1961 when I was 9.

My first ukulele was concert scale. I tried all the sizes at a music shop before buying, and the soprano was too small for my clumsy fingers. Right after getting the concert, I bought an acacia tenor (the headstock was too cool to resist) from MGM. I seem to play tenor more than concert these days, but both sizes feel comfortable. Next up is a baritone with GCEA tuning.

A KoAloha soprano, because I was 5 and I didn't know what I was doing

The first I had access to was a vintage Martin baritone, the first that was mine was a circa late 20s Harmony soprano. I still can't get rid of it, every time I think "I'll sell it", I pick it up and it sings so sweet that I pat it and put it back. Same problem with all my sopranos, they're like kittens or puppies, just to cute and cuddly. I just got another from MGM, he has the Ohana Vita ukes, I had to try one, since all the vintage ones are kind of rough with the bar frets and higher action, as now I've been spoiled by my Kamaka concert and Kanile'a tenor. Can't play anything really on any of them but I love the heck out of fooling around with them, they are cheaper than booze etc. for relaxing and I'm not a substance user, and they are always in theory resaleable, lol.

Started on a tenor and it's still my favorite. I'd never really played a uke before, called Musicguymic and since I was an old guitar player he recommended the tenor. I bought 2 soprano Dolphins at the same time for my grandkids, and now have 2 other soprano's but still find them a bit harder to play. I got a concert for my birthday in January and it's getting about as much play time as the tenor, also bought a baritone a few months ago and recently set it up low g, but haven't played it much yet.

My first uke was a soprano because there was a stack of coloured Mahalos just about blocking the stairway of the music shop a few weeks before Christmas. The only thinking was "which colour"?

Top Bottom