Is is ok to strum with your thumb?

PwnageMonster

Reaction score
I read on a site that use should strum a ukulele with the nail of your index finger. but my finger keeps getting caught between strings. I have success strumming with my thumb but is that a wrong way to do it?

If the type of sound you get from strumming with your thumb is the sound you want to achieve, then by all means keep strumming that way. Use whatever method's comfortable for you; the ukulele is one of those instruments that doesn't necessarily have stringent playing rules. I think the only "wrong" way to strum is if you used a hard pick to strum the nylon strings, and then you'd probably wind up ruining the strings and messing up the uke's true sound (felt picks are okay).

I personally use the nail and pad of my index finger to strum (each alternating with down or up strokes), but that's my preference.

Yes, you may use your thumb. You may do whatever you would like to do with an ukulele.

but my finger keeps getting caught between strings

You might check out some of the free instruction on YouTube and learn the basics. You're doing something wrong or your fingers wouldn't be getting caught between the strings.
Thumb strum is good and there's a place for it but the more strums you have mastery of the more you'll enjoy this wondrous journey.

Jude

As a guitar player, I found it almost natural to use my index finger because it's a much easier downward motion for me. The thumb feels awkward to me. Getting using the index finger really makes it much more natural to use other strumming techniques in the future like fanning, triplets, reggae, etc. Make sure you use the full length of your fingernail when crossing the strings, and not just the tip.

Once you get comfortable fanning across the strings using the full length of your fingernail, then you can take another approach which means you strum coming down at an angle and using the top right part of your index finger (top left if you are left-handed). It's easier to get stuck, but it can also give a little crisper, snappier tone. Fanning the length of your nail gives you a little softer sound. Experiment, practice and soon it will come natural.

Last edited:
Not really. Some fancier stuff will require your index finger. But for simple strumming a thumb is fine and even better in a lot of ways. I think it gives a lighter, less harsh sound for some simple strumming songs.

Top Bottom