Public Domain Source?

Sorry, I can't be more helpful. haha I'm on my laptop and don't have my mouse so I don't wanna struggle getting all the history up but just run a google search... there's some pretty good ones.

http://www.archive.org/

There's a lot of public domain music, videos, and more on Internet Archive. There are different levels of creative commons licenses but they tell you what each one is... at least they're supposed to. Check it out though, it rocks.

Thanks, to the above. I don't why my first search turned up all these pay sites, but I did find some good sources. I'm very lazy when it comes to searching, as you can tell, especially after my recent stroke, my vision is still a bit wonky and I get headachy and grumpy and give up too easily! It doesn't stop me from coming here, though, although I don't lurk as long as I used to!

This one kicks some serious PD butt: http://www.pdmusic.org/

Thanks again.

A fantastic source of old folk songs is www.toneway.com - they have sound clips of many old songs with the lyrics - but without chords.

If you need the chords you will need to buy their book -it's well worth it as you get a lot of great, very fun songs to sing. Great for family style music.

A fantastic source of old folk songs is www.toneway.com - they have sound clips of many old songs with the lyrics - but without chords.

If you need the chords you will need to buy their book -it's well worth it as you get a lot of great, very fun songs to sing. Great for family style music.

Real heartland stuff here, GP, thank you kindly! Most of the chords are pretty easy to figure out. Just played along to "Midnight on the Stormy Deep" and it was great fun. (This one would be right up yer alley, BTW hoosierhiver, if yer a lis'nin...)

Thanks

For folk songs you can also try Mudcat Cafe at www.mudcat.org. No chords but most folks songs follow a I, IV, V chord progression, so make yo your own tune!

The Child Ballads and the Roud Folk Song Index are other sources for lyrics for which you can make your own tunes.

Does anyone have a good (meaning "free") source for public domain tunes?

Thanks for starting this thread! You read my mind! Last night I was trying to figure out how to find copyright-free songs for Cat'r and me to do! All our duets are covers, so far! Well, except the Doctor Who Christmas filk songs...but I'll have to check even THEM on the melodies! I'm not sure parodies are even safe!

Thank you everyone for your great links and help! :)

CountryMouse

P.S. Could this be made a sticky? This would be a great resource for everyone!!

Thanks!

CountryMouse
I'll list these links in the 'Ukulele Resources thread under the heading Public Domain. OK, the listing is updated. As far as additions and updates, post your suggestions here, use the visitor messaging or send me a PM.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread! You read my mind! Last night I was trying to figure out how to find copyright-free songs for Cat'r and me to do! All our duets are covers, so far! Well, except the Doctor Who Christmas filk songs...but I'll have to check even THEM on the melodies! I'm not sure parodies are even safe!

Thank you everyone for your great links and help! :)

CountryMouse
Maybe we should have a "Public Domain Song Challenge" or something - not a contest, but just some kind of a "legal" steam-release after all this copyright infringement hubbubittibubbub going on lately. Just a thought...

I'd like to add that just because a particular song is in the public domain does not mean that a specific arrangement is.

For example, Jake's arrangement of the traditional Japanese folksong "Sakura" is his unique work, and copying it note-for-note would make it a cover tune that infringes on copyright.

That said, most of the people who tab public domain tunes and make their work freely available do so with the intent that others can use them, at least as long as it's not for profit.

Dominator is very generous with sharing his tabs, but I imagine he would be royally ticked if someone decided to burn them all to CD and start selling them on ebay.

I'd like to add that just because a particular song is in the public domain does not mean that a specific arrangement is.

For example, Jake's arrangement of the traditional Japanese folksong "Sakura" is his unique work, and copying it note-for-note would make it a cover tune that infringes on copyright.

That said, most of the people who tab public domain tunes and make their work freely available do so with the intent that others can use them, at least as long as it's not for profit.

Dominator is very generous with sharing his tabs, but I imagine he would be royally ticked if someone decided to burn them all to CD and start selling them on ebay.

I like what Woody Guthrie had to say: "This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don’t give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that’s all we wanted to do."

Wish more people were like that.

CountryMouse

Top Bottom