That raspy voice...

alextate

Reaction score
A lot of my favourite singers (Shane McGowan, Itch Fox, Jamie T, Billy Bragg, Mischief Brew, Chris Murray etc) have a certain raspyness to their voice that I would really love to have. I then realised that most of them smoke, and this is perhaps the reason for their vocal stylings. I don't smoke; I think it's a pointless habbit, but can I still achieve this roughness in my voice without intaking an obscene amount of niccotine daily?

I gave up smokes about 16 years ago. I can sing with or without the rasp at will, not sure if I can describe the technique in print.

Can you growl? I mean like imitate a really pissed off dog. I know that when I do it, it happens fairly low in my throat. When I sing with a rasp I am basiclly singing while growling.

Hope this helps.

sometimes if you use more air while your singing it will make it a little more raspy.. well for me it does.. haha

A lot of my favourite singers (Shane McGowan, Itch Fox, Jamie T, Billy Bragg, Mischief Brew, Chris Murray etc) have a certain raspyness to their voice that I would really love to have. I then realised that most of them smoke, and this is perhaps the reason for their vocal stylings. I don't smoke; I think it's a pointless habbit, but can I still achieve this roughness in my voice without intaking an obscene amount of niccotine daily?

Whiskey. Neat or on the rocks. A lot of it. Then sing with a hangover :)

Seriously though, it's probably to do with things like how hydrated your larynx is (ergo the alcohol - as it'll be dehydrated). Nat King Cole continued smoking as he believed it helped his (fantastic) voice, but look what it got him. Find another way to dry out your throat IMHO. A certain amount of alcohol should do it, you just risk being drunk...

I work with a guy who sings Tenor for the NZ Opera, and he won't touch alcohol for something like three days before a performance for that reason... so there you go.

Last edited:
I know that this will sound crazy, but if you bark like a dog, loudly, a couple of times before you start it roughs up your voice. Be super careful not to hurt your vocal chords; stop when it hurts. Also, don't clear your throat by coughing, let the natural mucus build up. Thirdly, learn songs which have that raspy tone to practice the tone. Anything by Tom Waits.
Penster

Top Bottom