Old Repair on Martin Style 1

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hello Luthiers:

I need your opinions. I'm posting here and not in buying advice because this one needs a luthier's advice.

I'm now comparing a Martin style 1 and 2 in the shop. The 1 has a decal headstock, frets look like bar frets,and has a repaired crack in back that is tight. Inside I can see diamond wooden pegs of mahogany, which I assume is the repair. Finish is good, price $875.

The 2 has no decal and Martin name stamped on back. Pegs are not wooden, frets again are bar. No crack, no finish issues, price $1275.

All things being equal (which they never are) do you have an opinion on which would be the better value? Both play like a dream. As luthiers, do I stay away from the uke with a crack, or doesn't that matter? I don't really know about what's involvd, but I'm certain you all do!

Thanks in advance!

The Style 2 is the older instrument and dates to pre-1935. Martin stopped stamping their logo on the back of their headstocks around 1935 and started putting the decals on the front of the headstock. I wouldn't be too concerned with the crack on the Style 1 being repaired as you say.

Top Bottom