PDA

View Full Version : Stagg solid body electric ukulele

sgporc
02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
A proper review for this uke was sorely missed when I was researching solid body electric ukes so here I am to contribute my review after taking the plunge to get this often passed-over uke. I bought it from Butler Music on ebay and have had it for almost 2 weeks.

Features :10. Simply cannot be beaten!!!
I'll start with the listed specifications which were accurate.
# Body: Solid Maple
# Neck: Solid Maple, bolt-on
# Fingerboard & Bridge: Rosewood
# Machine Heads: diecast nickel minis
# Electronics: UK-2000 active onboard preamp w/ Slider-style 2-band EQ (bass/treble) & Volume control
# Fingerboard Dim. 240 mm (9.4 in.), 16 frets (body is cutaway so all frets accessible)
# Scale length: 375 mm / 14.8 in.
# Neck & Headstock: 325 mm, (12.8 in.)
# Body: 285 mm, (11.2 in.)
# Total length: 574 mm (22.6 in.)
# Power: 1 x 9V battery (included)
# Output: 1 x 1/4" jack
Finish was high gloss throughout (besides the fingerboard of course). Comes with a free gig bag which protects relatively well. Best of all, there were other features that were surprisingly not advertised. It came with an amp cable, and there was a headphone jack and mp3 input too! (just like the eleuke). Volume was not too loud on the headphones. I haven't tried the mp3 yet (don't have the double-ended jack cables) but I expect it to work as it is supposed to. The only minor concern here is that the headphone and mp3 sockets are on the back so there may be pressure on the jacks if you hold the uke too tightly to your body.

Sound :8
I'm a total music novice and everything sounds ok to me. It definitely not the standard uke-y sound, but I expected that from a solid-body. It came with a set of black strings which were rather soft and almost silent when played without amplification, which I changed out to aquilas. It's now definitely audible to people around you but not out of the room, so it's great for late night practices. Intonation is pretty good (to me). When measured at the 12th fret on a chromatic tuner, it's about 10-15 cents sharp, but I understand that no uke has perfect intonation, and the discrepancy could even be because of how I fret or play the strings. So I'm fine with it since I cannot hear the difference anyway.

Action, Fit, & Finish :9
According to commonly recommended action heights of 1/8" to 3/16", this uke came in good at 1/8", but I preferred it lower so I sanded down the saddle a little more. Fit is good with everything tight and snug. The black and glossy finish was also good, but to be extremely picky, there was a very small spot up at the neck just abutting the fingerboard that was not covered well by the gloss coating. Fingerboard also looked fine and not dry.

Reliability/Durability : 10
This is a solid body uke so I expect it to be able to take all sorts of abuse.

Customer Support :10
Never had to bother them. This was my second order from them and no problems so far.

Overall Rating : 8
This uke is great for me... I have no complaints. It's great for almost silent practice (which was why I bought it). It's really a great value for money cause it costs half of it's more popular competitor with all the same features. I'm happy with this buy...

Added on 2/25:
# Neck width at nut: 1 3/8" String spacing: 11/32"
# Neck width at 12th fret: 1 3/4" String spacing: 1/2"

sgporc
02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
a few more pics...

Sambient
02-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Thank you for the review and info! I've long been toying with this very one - in black. The price is terrific.

Since it's not as much a traditional uke sound, how would you describe the sound?
How are the controls on it?

mcnilly
02-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Has anyone tried both one of these and an eleuke?

portlandjosh
02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
It looks great, I actually think it may be cooler looking than the eleuke. But why on earth would they put the headphone jacks on the back? That seems like a terrible design move.

sgporc
02-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Since it's not as much a traditional uke sound, how would you describe the sound?
How are the controls on it?

To me the traditional soprano ukes are distinctively very bright and lively sounding, amplified by the reverberations of the body. For the stagg solid body without amplification, it's pretty much just the sound of the strings themselves, not as bright and "boomy". I'm not sure how else to describe. I'm new to electronic amplification and don't know what to expect with amplified music. I have a honeytone mini-amp but I haven't been playing around with it much. To me, once music is modified by all the knobs you can adjust on the amp, I really don't know how much the original tone of the instrument plays a role. With the electronic modifications that you can do these days I'm sure you can make it sound like a trumpet if you want... :) Many other reviews of other solid body electric ukes describe the sounds as like the electric guitar. The stagg is pretty much like the eleuke videos you can find on youtube. But as for the quality of the electronics, I'd say it's not bad. No hissing or crackling. The controls seem fine too. I normally just leave them in the middle...

I hope this is of some help... I'm really a philistine when it comes to music and these ukes (I also have the kala ka-15s) are practically my first musical instruments (and just for less than 2 months now)...

sgporc
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
It looks great, I actually think it may be cooler looking than the eleuke. But why on earth would they put the headphone jacks on the back? That seems like a terrible design move.

I've never seen these staggs advertised with the mp3 jacks, which was a total surprise to me. I guess they probably got the electronics from the same supplier to the eleukes and just adapted to the new electronics without more extensive redesign of the body. But that being said, the words "headphone" and "mp3" are actually molded onto the plastic black cover, unlike the eleuke which is just on a white sticker being pasted on. One of these days I'll probably open up the back cover and reroute the jack to the side...

portlandjosh
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Is this a concert or soprano scale?

dnewton2
02-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Cool. I have tried one of these in a shop and thought it was pretty nice. They seem like a good deal. I was just hoping for a Concert so never got around to getting one.

Now you can join the Stagg Nation! (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=29)

sgporc
02-22-2010, 08:40 AM

that makes it a concert...

UkuleleHill
02-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for this review! I have been looking at the Staggs for a while... This has convinced me :)

leftovermagic84
02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for this review! I have been looking at the Staggs for a while... This has convinced me :)

I'm with you, sunburst is calling to me...

portlandjosh
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I really like the Les Paul shaped ones better than the Strat shape. I feel the calling of an electric uke for my next purchase. This looks like it may be the good choice. I'd like to know if anyone who has it has an issue with the placement of the headphone jack, though. Seems like you might have to get an adapter so it comes out at an L shape rather than a standard jack so you don't screw it up.

buddhuu
02-24-2010, 03:21 AM
The acoustic ukes shaped like electric guitars look unspeakably awful to me. Not cool in the least.

These, on the other hand, actually do look pretty cool. IMHO, nicer looking than the Eleuke. I'd be interested to try one.

Thanks for your review. :)

leftovermagic84
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
pulled the trigger. My wife loves me and is giving me an early birthday. I have one of these and a microcube on the way, i'm stolked!

mokai
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
pulled the trigger. My wife loves me and is giving me an early birthday. I have one of these and a microcube on the way, i'm stolked!

Congrats and happy early birthday!

Mine shipped on Monday :)

leftovermagic84
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Congrats and happy early birthday!

Mine shipped on Monday :)

back at you! what are you plugging it into?

portlandjosh
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Nice! Make sure to post some better photos than what is available. Also, report on the location of the headphone jack, if it is goofy or okay. I'd be odering that amp-u-plug-n-play thing if I had one coming in the mail.

leftovermagic84
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Nice! Make sure to post some better photos than what is available. Also, report on the location of the headphone jack, if it is goofy or okay. I'd be odering that uke-u-plug-and-play thing if I had one coming in the mail.

will do, but whats a uke-u-plug-and-play thing?

mokai
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
back at you! what are you plugging it into?

I have a 10w Fender amp here, but I will be playing it silently late at night 95% of the time
I like the idea of being able to practice without disturbing others

portlandjosh
02-24-2010, 05:21 PM
will do, but whats a uke-u-plug-and-play thing?

Oops, I meant the amp-u-plug-n-play. http://www.ampuplugnplay.com/ I've heard good things about it on these boards. Cheap and simple, lets you play clear or fuzzed out.

bigploch
02-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Any updates available for this thread. I am seriously contemplating this uke and want to see what your thoughts all are. I really wanted a Tenor for my fat fingers but can't beat the price for a concert. Hmmmm....

leftovermagic84
02-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Any updates available for this thread. I am seriously contemplating this uke and want to see what your thoughts all are. I really wanted a Tenor for my fat fingers but can't beat the price for a concert. Hmmmm....

it should be here friday afternoon. if all goes well i'll try to post up friday evening or saturday morning, but from my acoustic concerts and tenors, I can tell you the difference in size in the fretboard isn't really all that much.

sgporc
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
it's great to see that some of you have jumped in on this uke... Hope you will like them too and let us all know your opinions... I'm so excited for you guys...

leftovermagic84
02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok so first a big thanks to sgporc for the great review. It's the reason I went with this uke, and I'm happy I did. Overall if I had to be super picky:

I'd say the tuners aren't the greatest, but don't appear to be slipping, they're just not super smooth.
Also, I prefer the knobs on the eleuke to the slides on the stagg, just because it's harder to adjust the slides while playing.
The fretboard also came a little dry, but a little oil made it shiny and fixed it right up.

These aren't big problems, just me being hyper-critical. Overall, though, for a $100 uke coming from a store that doesn't do a proper setup like MGM, These are very manageable issues.

The factory action is great for me. It's not too high, and not too low. I think action is like skirts, the theory of lower is better isn't always true, because sooner or later things just get trashy.

The intonation seems pretty good. Strings are still stretching, but so far it seems just fine. Plugged in, the uke sounds super clean and responsive. I'm already a huge fan.

Now as for the questions that arose.
The headphones and mp3 plugs in the back: aren't really a problem for me. They sit in the lower outer corner of the uke, near the plug, and I find that with a strap on that part of the uke is actually in between my torso and my arm, so no problem there. If you wanted to use it without a strap and were pinching it to your chest, you might have an issue though.

As far as the fretboard size, well, here's more pics. I have a kala soprano, the stagg concert, and a honu tenor lined up at the nut. You be the judge
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/hgoodman01/0226001604.jpg
and just the fretboards lined up next to each other for a better view
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/hgoodman01/fretboards.jpg

anyways, I hope this helps, thanks again to sgporc for the great review, as well as UU for being my favorite website. I'm very impressed with the stagg, if you're on the fence, go for it.

P.S.
Here's a couple of pics, because its shiny and pretty.
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/hgoodman01/0226001602.jpg
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/hgoodman01/0226001602a.jpg

mokai
02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I agree with everything leftovermagic84 said.
factory action is perfect for me
the tuners look and function great but don't feel too smooth while tuning.

Most of you don't like the idea of the headphone/mp3 jacks being on the back. I don't think this was a bad design move, but more of a money saving move.
The factory does not have to drill seperate, yet clean holes for each jack........they also don't have to wire them through the holes...
This is fine with me because it's reflected in the price....I paid $122 shipped.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad276/imokai/headphonein.jpg
here is a photo with a regular and L shape jack plugged in
I don't even notice it if I have the L jack in.

Another great thing is that I can plug straight into my computer speakers.
not only that, but you can plug it into your computer as a microphone and record

http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html
if you download this free tuner, you can plug it straight into your computer as a microphone and tune it
this tuner is more accurate than most clip on tuners

bigploch
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Looks great. Got my budget approved today. Probably place the order in a week or two. Any vids of this instrument out there?

portlandjosh
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't think this was a bad design move, but more of a money saving move.
The factory does not have to drill seperate, yet clean holes for each jack........they also don't have to wire them through the holes...
This is fine with me because it's reflected in the price....I paid $122 shipped.

The L jack is a great solution, and good point about saving costs on the drilling. Glad to hear it is a good instrument.

Harry R
02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
I love this Uke, tried one out in my local guitar shop :)
Looks like a sunburst stagg will be my next ukulele...

Pete Howlett
02-27-2010, 12:34 AM
An when the economy improves and you want to upgrade? Try one of thse:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/PeteHowlett/DSCF4269.jpg

leftovermagic84
02-27-2010, 04:10 AM
:drool: I have a feeling that runs a tad more than 130 shipped though

sgporc
02-27-2010, 04:13 AM
wow... great to hear the additional positive reviews... moving on to something more speculative... now that we have piqued the interest of many in this uke, I do hope that they would continue to be available at these prices. I did feel when I ordered that the amazing price may be because the retailer is trying to clear their unpopular/unsold inventory. I mean... not a single online user review in the year or so that they've been out is rather pitiful in this day and age... And as I've read in another thread, anyone can basically order off the internet the exact same ukes as the eleukes at $60 a piece for 1000 pieces and have their name custom stamped on the instruments. So I believe many of these types of house-brand contract-manufactured instruments may just be their one-off order to test the product... So I do hope that the current attractive consumer price points are also viable for the retailer to continue offering the product. Otherwise it may become like the harley benton eleuke by thomann, after we heard of their great prices a month or so ago, they are now no longer to be found on their website...

Another way to read into all these... Grab it while it's still available!!! :p:p

Pete Howlett
02-27-2010, 05:16 AM
And that's why it's called an 'upgrade'. Think of it as going from economy to deluxe....

GrumpyCoyote
02-27-2010, 07:40 AM

Pete - that is one hell of an axe. No MP3 jack though... (I kid, I kid... who needs one? :))

portlandjosh
02-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Wow, that is a gorgeous uke!

Pete Howlett
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
There are more on the website... this was a one off with solid Macassar ebony drop top.

cornfedgroove
03-01-2010, 05:40 AM
ya pete, that uke looks great...but dont you think it would look better with some old school pin-up dolls on it? barf

Harry R
03-01-2010, 06:27 AM
I just ordered this beauty for 99 plus free shipping :D
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0706004/details.html?kbid=1582

spacerock
03-01-2010, 11:30 AM
New to the forum - hello everyone. I like the idea of an electric uke - has anyone compared the Stagg to the Eleuke - Thomann currently have a Harley Benton for 81 + postage but the Stagg looks prettier. Also not so keen on buying mail order if I can help it...

bigploch
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice pick up harry! I got some bills to straighten up and mine is on the way. Where can I hear bits of your album?

Sambient
03-02-2010, 04:02 AM
I just ordered this beauty for 99 plus free shipping :D
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0706004/details.html?kbid=1582

Oh dear. This is a dangerous site for me to know about. Novelty ukes! WANT.

rasputinsghost
03-04-2010, 04:06 AM
I want to pick one up - three questions though.

1. What's the best price you guys have found with a roland microcube?
2. What strings does the Stagg come with?
3. If the strings are bad, what scale should I buy them in? Concert?

Thanks. I'm looking to spend ~200 on all of this put together.

leftovermagic84
03-04-2010, 04:22 AM
I want to pick one up - three questions though.

1. What's the best price you guys have found with a roland microcube?
2. What strings does the Stagg come with?
3. If the strings are bad, what scale should I buy them in? Concert?

Thanks. I'm looking to spend ~200 on all of this put together.

to stay under 200 total, you're going to need to go used for the microcube. I managed to find the uke for a little over 120 and the amp (new) for about 90 shipped, both on ebay. The stock strings are GHS, and they're pretty bad, so you'll want to switch them out for concert scale strings, so tack on another 5-7 bucks. All in all, a little over your budget, but not much. Hope this helps

rasputinsghost
03-04-2010, 04:27 AM
to stay under 200 total, you're going to need to go used for the microcube. I managed to find the uke for a little over 120 and the amp (new) for about 90 shipped, both on ebay. The stock strings are GHS, and they're pretty bad, so you'll want to switch them out for concert scale strings, so tack on another 5-7 bucks. All in all, a little over your budget, but not much. Hope this helps

$120 for the Uke, $130 for the microcube, $7 for Aquila Concerts

$257. I can live with that, but I'm gonna think about it before I make a decision. Thanks!!!

Does the roland microcube come with a cable or do you have to buy your own?

sgporc
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
$120 for the Uke, $130 for the microcube, $7 for Aquila Concerts

$257. I can live with that, but I'm gonna think about it before I make a decision. Thanks!!!

Does the roland microcube come with a cable or do you have to buy your own?

my stagg came with a cable, which wasn't advertised so I ordered another one without knowing. I assume it comes standard (with the uke. I don't know about the microcube) but best to ask the seller first...

also, I know butler music on ebay has some listings that allows you to "make an offer", so you might be able to save some money there. or even better, since butler music has an actual physical store, you can call them directly to try to negotiate a price.

bigploch
03-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Just pulled the trigger myself. Bought the one for $109 on ebay but there was some issue with the checkout system they used. I sent them an email but have yet to hear back. Hopefully get it some time next week. And the wait begins...

Update 2 hours later: Wow what a great experience! I purchased mine from Butler Music on eBay. They are a local store n Missouri called Butler Music & Loan per google. Anyway, I had an issue with the checkout system that they were using which they quickly cleared up from a simple phone call. I was offered a $5 discount for my trouble. I paid when it was corrected and they immediately sent me the UPS tracking info because they shipped it the same day! I highly recommend these folks for any US purchases.

bigploch
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Just checked the tracking info and she is out for delivery! Hopefully waiting for me when I get home. I was thinking of trying a different string than Aquila but I am not sure what I would want to go with. Are there better strings for solid bodies vs. regular? Where do you buy them online? I have no place local around here except for GC and all they carry is GHS. Any suggestions?

dentuke
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Mine came in today... Feels better than the concert eleuke I had last year.... I'm changing the strings to Martin flouros... They are nice and bright.... Flourocarbons have higher magnitude when compared to nylon and this improves the sound transmission on the saddle....

bigploch
03-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Wow, what a coincidence. Mine sounded awful when I got it after tuning so while out running errands I stopped at Guitar Center. The only strings they had were Martin flouros so I picked them up. When I got home I realized I was tuning the G and C backwards. Duh. Noob mistake if I ever saw one. LOL. I wanted to see what people thought of the Martin's before I put them on. So far so good. Any other online choices or are Martins the way to go.

rasputinsghost
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
With some used trickery, I got a Roland Microcube, a black Stagg les paul, and new strings for $212.83 shipped. Woo! Now all that remains is the waiting game.

bigploch
03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Nice deal ras! It is a fun instrument. I was playing mine for about two hours last night. A friend of mine let me borrow his Peavey 15w amp and a Boss DS-1 reverb pedal. He was also teaching me some nirvana and greenday which sounds awesome with that combo. It's a novelty but I spent most of the evening just playing into my headphones which sounds great. I am very happy with the purchase and so is my wife.

dentuke
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Guitar center has the Honeytone Danelectro mini amp for 19 dollars.... This is pretty much all you need for this little beastie..........

The action at the nut is a little too high for my liking but its fine for slide guitar.......

bigploch
03-22-2010, 04:21 AM
I finally put on the Martin Flouros and WOW what a difference. It sounds so much better (although it gets out of tune SO fast. I can't wait till they stop stretching) I found the action at the nut to be fine for me. I guess that is a personal preference thing there. I found leaving the headphones plugged in drains the battery overnight. Woops. My only issue, other than the finish on the body, is the smoothness of the tuners. Save those two items, it's as good as any solid body instrument I have held. There is one minor imperfection (a small 1/4" long shallow dent, it's more than a scratch but below the finish) adjacent to the strings and there is some sort of residue on the back that did not come off with a damp cloth. I may rub it down with alcohol when I go get some but it really doesn't bother me. The wife loves the quietness and I'll be able to play when the baby is asleep. Almost two weeks later and I still love it.

rasputinsghost
03-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Mine came too, and I also found that my flouros got out of tune really quickly. It's really cool, although it's heavier that I'd like - I ordered a strap from MGM.

oldrookie
05-29-2010, 06:31 AM
I just bought one from dentuke. He mentioned in post #52 that he thought the nut is too high and I agree (though I know little about ukes--bass is my usual instrument.) Think I'll tackle cutting the nut grooves a bit deeper to ease the pressure required to fret close to the neck.

dentuke
05-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Its a blast for slide ukulele!!!!!

tune it gCEg ........ have fun!!!!!!

The honey tone also gives it a scratchy blues sound (kind of like a pig nose baby amp)

oldrookie
05-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks dentuke! Really enjoying the uke and the Honeytone! Fingers are very sore...strings are somewhat sharper than the bass strings I am used to fretting!

I'll give the alternate tuning a shot.

oldrookie
06-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Worked on the nut and cut the grooves deeper. Much easier on the fingers at the first fret now.

I'm enjoying the instrument. Pretty decent quality. Only concession I can find to keeping the cost low is some reasonably sloppy glue work done with the frets. Rosewood is really dry (in spite of a lemon oil treatment) and there are few frets where the glue lines are visible.

Bassukuguy
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
oldrookie, it was awesome meeting you. and deep down i kindof loathe you at the moment for letting me play that little beast. Once the high of my mainland wears off this might be my next purchase, especially the black Les Paul style.

oldrookie
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Great meeting you too! Looks like you all had a lot of fun at the rest of UWC.

And... sorry? Ha!

Really appreciated your input on the Stagg. No buyer's remorse, but nice to be able to keep feeling good about the uke.

Glad to see that you got your Mainland!

No, wait... you already had the beautiful Mainland. Remembered you talking about getting a new one, right?

mailman
06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Great meeting you too! Looks like you all had a lot of fun at the rest of UWC.

And... sorry? Ha!

Really appreciated your input on the Stagg. No buyer's remorse, but nice to be able to keep feeling good about the uke.

Glad to see that you got your Mainland!

Good to meet you, too, oldrookie! Thanks for showing me your Honeytone amp. I just may need one of those. Some day maybe I'll be able to make it sound as good with my K-Wave as bassukuguy can!

oldrookie
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Yo! Mailman! It was great meeting you. Wish I could have stuck around and conversed longer. Glad to see you got home safely.

I REALLY like that K-Wave you brought to UWC. I am in the middle of refinishing a Peavey bass. It has a maple neck and I think I'm going to try and recreate the color scheme of your K-Wave. That transparent red with the maple neck just really caught my eye. Transparent red wasn't even on the radar until I saw your uke.

I'm sitting here with sore fingers working hard on Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp materials. I just hope to be able to play something reasonably well by next year...suspect bassukuguy has nothing to fear from me.

Bassukuguy
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
lol, i cant wait to hear your progress. And yes i did get my beautiful mainland tenor, it plays so sweet. As i have said though, im really thinking this may be my next purchase

mje
10-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I've had mine for a few days now, and I pretty much agree with sgporc. This is a great deal (I paid $125, delivered) and have very little to complain about. The strings aren't that good (I'm replacing them with Aquilas), I would have preferred a larger cutaway, and the tuners are cheap, but that's about it. Sound quality depends very much on the amp you choose. Plugged into my Acoustic Image Contra it sounds amazingly rich and full.

harry200577
11-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the review! I'm glad to see some proper photos of it as well, the photos on the sellers websites look synthetic :P

ukulegreg
11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I've had mine for a few days now, and I pretty much agree with sgporc. This is a great deal (I paid $125, delivered) and have very little to complain about. The strings aren't that good (I'm replacing them with Aquilas), I would have preferred a larger cutaway, and the tuners are cheap, but that's about it. Sound quality depends very much on the amp you choose. Plugged into my Acoustic Image Contra it sounds amazingly rich and full.

Yes ,I agree , it's very fun to play with a good amp .
I want to change the strings . But wich strings are recommanded ? I have just buy Worth ( clear and brown) and Ko'olau gold. I have Aquila too but I prefer use them with my Flea.

oldrookie
11-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm using Aquila and Worth mixed.

Put regular Aquila's on, but wanted to go low G unwound on it. Only one I could find was the Worth.

PhilUSAFRet
02-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Hmm, concert scale, but overall length closer to soprano. Sounds like a good thing. Wish it was a little longer overall. Only one I could find on YouTube used so much distortion that you could hardly tell what it sounded like.

olivah
04-10-2011, 01:20 AM
B goode!
Got my Stagg LP (I'm a marley fan) a week ago and I love it!
Seems to me the guy is not playing a solid body. At 3:10 I see a sound hole (maybe).
Peace
Olivah

Vid is gone?

PhilUSAFRet
04-10-2011, 08:33 AM
To me the traditional soprano ukes are distinctively very bright and lively sounding, amplified by the reverberations of the body. For the stagg solid body without amplification, it's pretty much just the sound of the strings themselves, not as bright and "boomy". I'm not sure how else to describe. I'm new to electronic amplification and don't know what to expect with amplified music. I have a honeytone mini-amp but I haven't been playing around with it much. To me, once music is modified by all the knobs you can adjust on the amp, I really don't know how much the original tone of the instrument plays a role. With the electronic modifications that you can do these days I'm sure you can make it sound like a trumpet if you want... :) Many other reviews of other solid body electric ukes describe the sounds as like the electric guitar. The stagg is pretty much like the eleuke videos you can find on youtube. But as for the quality of the electronics, I'd say it's not bad. No hissing or crackling. The controls seem fine too. I normally just leave them in the middle...

I hope this is of some help... I'm really a philistine when it comes to music and these ukes (I also have the kala ka-15s) are practically my first musical instruments (and just for less than 2 months now)...

In researching the Honeytone, several people noted that it can be used as an "effects pedal"...kind of, to get a gritty, bluesy sound similar to the earliest single tube blues amps that you just can't get anywhere else. There's one in my future just to go for that sound for my "blues uke."

sadmemories20
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
A proper review for this uke was sorely missed when I was researching solid body electric ukes so here I am to contribute my review after taking the plunge to get this often passed-over uke. I bought it from Butler Music on ebay and have had it for almost 2 weeks.

Features :10. Simply cannot be beaten!!!
I'll start with the listed specifications which were accurate.
# Body: Solid Maple
# Neck: Solid Maple, bolt-on
# Fingerboard & Bridge: Rosewood
# Machine Heads: diecast nickel minis
# Electronics: UK-2000 active onboard preamp w/ Slider-style 2-band EQ (bass/treble) & Volume control
# Fingerboard Dim. 240 mm (9.4 in.), 16 frets (body is cutaway so all frets accessible)
# Neck & Headstock: 325 mm, (12.8 in.)
# Body: 285 mm, (11.2 in.)
# Total length: 574 mm (22.6 in.)
# Power: 1 x 9V battery (included)
# Output: 1 x 1/4" jack
Finish was high gloss throughout (besides the fingerboard of course). Comes with a free gig bag which protects relatively well. Best of all, there were other features that were surprisingly not advertised. It came with an amp cable, and there was a headphone jack and mp3 input too! (just like the eleuke). Volume was not too loud on the headphones. I haven't tried the mp3 yet (don't have the double-ended jack cables) but I expect it to work as it is supposed to. The only minor concern here is that the headphone and mp3 sockets are on the back so there may be pressure on the jacks if you hold the uke too tightly to your body.

Sound :8
I'm a total music novice and everything sounds ok to me. It definitely not the standard uke-y sound, but I expected that from a solid-body. It came with a set of black strings which were rather soft and almost silent when played without amplification, which I changed out to aquilas. It's now definitely audible to people around you but not out of the room, so it's great for late night practices. Intonation is pretty good (to me). When measured at the 12th fret on a chromatic tuner, it's about 10-15 cents sharp, but I understand that no uke has perfect intonation, and the discrepancy could even be because of how I fret or play the strings. So I'm fine with it since I cannot hear the difference anyway.

Action, Fit, & Finish :9
According to commonly recommended action heights of 1/8" to 3/16", this uke came in good at 1/8", but I preferred it lower so I sanded down the saddle a little more. Fit is good with everything tight and snug. The black and glossy finish was also good, but to be extremely picky, there was a very small spot up at the neck just abutting the fingerboard that was not covered well by the gloss coating. Fingerboard also looked fine and not dry.

Reliability/Durability : 10
This is a solid body uke so I expect it to be able to take all sorts of abuse.

Customer Support :10
Never had to bother them. This was my second order from them and no problems so far.

Overall Rating : 8
This uke is great for me... I have no complaints. It's great for almost silent practice (which was why I bought it). It's really a great value for money cause it costs half of it's more popular competitor with all the same features. I'm happy with this buy...

Added on 2/25:
# Neck width at nut: 1 3/8" String spacing: 11/32"
# Neck width at 12th fret: 1 3/4" String spacing: 1/2"

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

FlakMonkey
04-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I stumbled upon this ukulele on eBay, and was going to buy it, but I always like to read a review before I spend any money, so I went off to Google, and as you mentioned, I was really surprised at the lack of reviews. That put me off a little bit, but reading this has rekindled my love!

I'm going to make my order at the end of the week, thank you so much for the review!

Deaks
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
FlakMonkey, did you get one? If so where from and how much? I'm after the S style and a new ebay dealer has listed that this week at just 60 plus shipping which is 40 lower than Southern Ukulele Store!!

stanpeter
09-24-2011, 08:50 AM
As for amps, I ran it through a Marshall MG2FX, a Vox 3Mini and a Roland Micro-Cube, because I like to make my tinkering sound "serias geetar" :o.

3rd place: the Roland sounded a little fake and plastic, volume was way to dim on the clean channel, distortion was just too much of it.
2nd place: The Marshall was very nice but a hassle to change settings. Every knob has at least 2 functions and you have to press a small button -and keep pressing it- to use the second function. But the sound was hilariously accurate.
1st place: The Vox. No competition, this thingie has an amazing real feel to it. Everyone that walked in the store had to look at that tiny guitar and that tiny amp, and the sound that came out of it. The shop-owner had most of the fun himself.

RETSOP
10-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I just got mine (fueled primarily due to this link's initial review) an I'm thrilled! The one thing that I feel is not stressed enough is the fact that when merely holding the uke one is struck with the quality of the workmanship. I don't know if this has been improving over the life of the sales or if it was just presumed to "be there" all along, but small details like the rounded edges of the frets and the feel of the neck and the balancing all speak volumes about the fact that someone really cared when they were designing, and assembling, the instrument. Also, thanks to the existence, now, of Kala red low "G" concert strings mixed with the EQ settings, you can make this ukulele sound like a happy soprano or a rich tenor. All-in-all, it's a deal!

Wongo
10-22-2012, 11:56 PM
My wife is buying me one of these for Christmas. I can't wait. Thanks for the review :)

v30
10-27-2012, 10:42 AM
How do these compare to eleuke ?

tjomball
11-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Oops, I meant the amp-u-plug-n-play. http://www.ampuplugnplay.com/ I've heard good things about it on these boards. Cheap and simple, lets you play clear or fuzzed out.

I for one am sceptical about this.
Personally I'm using my iPad 2 with Peavey Ampkit for practice.
But for a more portabe solution try looking at the Vox AmPlugs. They come in different flavours if you will.
Bt if you're on an iPhone 4S or better try peavey Ampkit. Just do yourself a favour and get yourself a better soundcard. For example Apogee Jam..
My two cents..
Actually my approx. 500 dollars to be more exact.. ;)

tjomball
11-04-2012, 12:25 AM

Mr Howlett sir..
How much would one of those beauties drain my bank account?
I seem to have developed an "umhealthy"(atleast for my bank account) fascination for electric ukes.

And while I'm at it.
I love your work sir..