Witch ukulele?

ukulele2544

Reaction score
South Korea (Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii)
Which ukulele?

My dad is looking for a new ukulele for me and he couldn't tell that if Oscar Schmidt is better or Lanikai is better. Could you please give me suggestions?

Last edited:
Can't tell you about an Oscar Schmidt, but I have a Lanikai tenor that I really love.
(BTW-- "witch" is the scary lady with the pointy hat. "Which" is what you're looking for :) )

(BTW-- "witch" is the scary lady with the pointy hat. "Which" is what you're looking for :) )
I was hoping to see a radical looking uke! :)

As was I. I thought it would be scary or halloween-like.

Like this?
4326795_a764437e3f.jpg

Dig the cool coffin case for the Jack ukulele.

Sorry, didn't mean to totally hijack the OP's thread. As to the original question, I vote Lanikai.

Yup, Oscar Schmidts don't sound really good to me either. Their necks are really thick too, and they don't look that great.

Go with the Lanikai, especially the ones coming out this year.

If I was at work with my good photo editor I would have been very tempted to take a pic of the Wicked Witch of the Wwst and swap the broom for a Uke... though Mim is a which... she has a Uke... that is besides the point.
Like you guys I was waiting for a creepy uke. Maybe broom shaped.

I would go with the Lanikai... just because Mr. Mraz plays it so it is cooler ;) And for the other resons listed above :)

I've heard of using bone for nuts and bridges, but the Jack Uke takes that to a whole other level!
Who made that?

I would skip the Oscar Schmidt's personally. If your looking at something traditional, then a Lanikai or the ever popular to this site Mainland would be a good choice. If you want something unique, go for the Flea or Fluke. As a guitarist, I know that you can buy starter guitars and get frustrated because they are hard to play, have poor intonation, etc. The same is true of ukes.

I have an Oscar Schmidt OU5 concert and a Mainland Mahogany Concert. Currently my OU5 is being loaned to a kid who's learning to play. After playing the Mainland for a while, then playing the OU5 again, I still thought the Oscar was a really good uke for the money, and I like the looks... koa laminate, high gloss, and lots of abalone.

Do not... I repeat Do not get an Oscar Schmidt...mine is an ou2 concert and is plinky as all get out... I keep it to remind myself what a bad uke sounds like... that and sometimes I want to play a concert instead of a Tenor :D

I'm going to have to go with the Lanikai vote. I love my tenor.

I got a Lanikai koa laminate concert for $60 at Guitar Center because they know nothing about what little toy guitars are supposed to cost. I like it, and not just because I got it for half off. It's a really nice looking and playing uke. I've only seen Oscar Schmidts in pawn shops...

I would skip the Oscar Schmidt's personally. If your looking at something traditional, then a Lanikai or the ever popular to this site Mainland would be a good choice. If you want something unique, go for the Flea or Fluke. As a guitarist, I know that you can buy starter guitars and get frustrated because they are hard to play, have poor intonation, etc. The same is true of ukes.

Flea or Fluke. The Mango Flea (I can not put down) is simply great. The extra money? Your Dad is worth it.

I have an Oscar OU5 it looks nice and plays nice but doesn't have much in the way of sound. I don't mean it sounds bad just that it isn't very loud.
Personally I would go for the Lanikai.

Lanakais have the better reputation. Oscar Schmidts seem to lack quality control, so it can be a gamble. Though this can sometimes afford the opportunity to find one for really cheap just because there was something weird with the finish.
Lanakais come with Aquilas. Oscar Schmidts benefit from a string change.

Like this?
4326795_a764437e3f.jpg

Dig the cool coffin case for the Jack ukulele.

Sorry, didn't mean to totally hijack the OP's thread. As to the original question, I vote Lanikai.

Yes! Just like that! That'sa n awesome looking uke.

I will vote Lanikai if those are the only two options. However, I'd also suggest looking through MGM's store at all the ukes in your price range. Having more options to select from is always better IMO.

Top Bottom