Parlor vs. Baby guitar?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to get into guitar. My mom has a full-size acoustic and it feels overwhelmingly big to me (especially compared to ukes!). I'm thinking about trying either a parlor guitar or a baby (smaller scale) guitar, but I don't really know what I'm doing. What's the difference between the two? I know a baby has a shorter scale but does the parlor? Does anyone have a strong recommendation for either? I need to keep my budget under $500.

Thanks in advance for the help... :)

there's lots of options...lets talk "baby" for now: There just that, little guitars and of course some are nicer than others. The nicest by far is the Martin LXM. It's good looking, sturdy built (has a little heft compared to others) which is a good thing, and it sounds much fulleras well...and comes with a real nice gig bag ($279). The baby taylor is "ok"...much lighter, less sturdy in attempt to maintain taylor sound, BUT at this size, it just comes out sounding "thin" and almost tinny. For what you're wanting...they may just be too small. Try that martin and see.

small scale guitars are a step up in size...such as the Taylor Big Baby, or the like the Breedlove Passport. These might not be a bad option for you, but its a matter of preference. These are not my favorite for the simple reason that for the money...you could get alot better. I'm not a fan of either of these guitars, although there may be some other alternatives.

the third option is the parlor guitar. In my opinion, this is the best option. I personally have always thought the Art Lutherie guitars were always high quality for the price with some nice parlor size guitars. something like this...
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=29&P_ID=1311&PT_ID=34

I have a full-sized guitar and a 3/4 sized guitar and they seem huge after playing my ukulele. I am not very good at barre chords on the guitar and was happy that it was much easier on a ukulele.

Recently, I ordered a 1/4 size Strumal (sp?). It should be like the guitalele (Yamaha?) that is sold in Canada, but not the U.S.

I hope that I will be able to progress with my guitar skills when I get this tiny guitar. Look up guitalale; I think that some ukulele manufacturers make them. I think that they about the same size as a baratone ukulele (maybe a bit wider).

I am not going for the best tone; I just want to increase my skills. Maybe I will be able to get strong enough to play a larger guitar.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for your help. Cornfedgroove, I really like the idea of a parlor guitar, and those Art and Lutherie ones are indeed very pretty. I think I need to start going to stores and trying out all the ones I can, instead of sitting here imagining what they will be like. ;-)

Aunt Betty I've thought of getting a guitarlele but I would prefer to use standard guitar tuning. The guitarlele, I believe, is tuned up several steps, which would defeat the purpose of wanting a guitar. They are very pretty sounding, however! I really liked the tones from the ones I heard on youtube.

I've had several "baby" guitars. Some tuned like a guitar, some higher. I ended up reselling all of them. I'd much rather have a classical, or for a steel string sound I'd go for parlor.

Hi Natalie I am in the same boat as you. In the last 2 weeks I suddenly has this urge to learn and play guitar. I have been doing research for the past few weeks and realized the selection of guitars out there can be overwhelming. I joined a few message forums and narrowed down my seach to a few possibilities. I went to Guitar Center this weekend with my wife and we both played all the propspects and narrowed the search even more. People may tell you to go full size right off the bat but only you know whats best for yourself. Several people, including the guitar center rep, told me to start off full size but comming from a Concert Uke I wanted to learn on a smaller scale. I tried out two 3/4 size guitars. The Baby Taylor and the Little Martin LXM. Between the two I preferred the sound of the Martin. I also tried a few full size: Yamaha FG730s, Seagull S6, Seagull Entourage (Same as S6 but smaller neck and width at nut). I really enjoyed the Seagull Entourage the most for playability and tone.

For parlors (a bit larger scale) several people have recommended the Larrivee Parlor. The price is up their but they have been receiving nothing but rave reviews. I'd like to try one if I can find a dealer. Good luck on your seach. It realy is a whole new animal but it sure is fun hunting down that first guitar. For me its the Little Martin LXM. :D

Hi Natalie,
Are you looking for steel string or classical?
If you want a nylon string classical, you have many options. The parlor guitars have a smaller body but may have a standard size fret board. I have a custom parlor guitar that is 613mm and has a 49mm nut width. Also have a 640mm 50mm smaller bodied guitar that is presently listed at Bernunzio's. Standard size for a classical is 650mm 52mm nut width. Bernunzio's has many options for a beginner small classical - 1/2, 3/4 & 7/8. www.bernunzio.com The Larrivee parlor recommended is a nice steel string, also the Baby Taylor or Little Martin. My first guitar was a LaPatrie Motif which is a nylon string parlor guitar with a standard size fretboard. Any guitar is probably going to seem very large to you now.:)

every "baby" guitar i've played has sounded like a toy, flat and unresponsive. parlor guitars can be very sweet to the ears though.

as far as price to value it seems like blue ridge guitars do a good job.

Oh boy, I think my heart is now set on a Larrivee parlor. You all are right, they are pricey, but after watching more YouTube videos that I can count, and looking at online vendors, I've fallen in love with the P-09 series. The question is: which wood is the best?? They offer mahogany, rosewood, lacewood, and maple. All with spruce top. I like the look of the rosewood and maple the best, and the sound of the maple really stands out for me. These two are also the most expensive-- darn! My mom plays a full-size Larrivee guitar and I absolutely love it.

Graduation and birthday are both coming up for me this spring. Hmm.....

daang, those are expensive!

I would take a seagull guitar any day of the week...they are w/o a doubt the best bang for your buck in an inexpensive range. They are better than any ibanez, epiphone, yamaha, ovation etc. great guitars, solid and will withstand the years. I know several owners who have had theres over 15 years with no problems.

Oh boy, I think my heart is now set on a Larrivee parlor. You all are right, they are pricey, but after watching more YouTube videos that I can count, and looking at online vendors, I've fallen in love with the P-09 series. The question is: which wood is the best?? They offer mahogany, rosewood, lacewood, and maple. All with spruce top. I like the look of the rosewood and maple the best, and the sound of the maple really stands out for me. These two are also the most expensive-- darn! My mom plays a full-size Larrivee guitar and I absolutely love it.

Graduation and birthday are both coming up for me this spring. Hmm.....

If you're interested in a Larivee parlor guitar, contact Don or Marty at Wildwood Music in Coshocton, Ohio. They sell more Larivees than any other dealer in the country and offer them at 40% off list, no haggling required. They are the best folks in the world and have a great selection. They will ship to you. Their web site is http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/
I have two Larivee parlor guitars and they are great pieces of work.

I have a Larrivee O-50. It is a parlor with a slothead. Mahogany with Spruce top. I live very near the CA factory, they are excellent guitars. The parlor is a real guitar. The Baby T. &. Bay M. are not the same sound. I have a Baby T. to use when traveling with a guitar.
My preference is the Taylor, although in the stores the Martin may sound better. Martin puts a heavier string (Meds.) than does Taylor. I changed my Taylor to Meds. from the stock lights and it immediately it got better.
As far as parlor woods go, mahogany is a little drier and missising the ring of rosewood. The Larrivees 03, 05 & 09 series are all pretty much the same. The 03 is made in Canada and is a satin finish. The 05 & 09's are made in CA.
Many say it is just bling that makes them more expensive. Any of the Larrivee guitars are good value all wood and well made. There are also several other Canadian builders that make a great guitar reasonably priced (below Larrivee).
Guitars and ukuleles last and give pleasure a long time, so I tend not to get too wrapped up in purchase price.
I even have a Larrivee ukulele.

I have a Martin Size 5 Parlor and love the parlor size. I'm looking at a cheaper parlor to travel with and that Larrivee is on the short list. Love it.

I've been giving it some thought and decided to scratch out the little martin. Knowing myself GAS will kick in and I will be longing for a Larrivee anyway. I will be saving for a Larrivee P-03 with the satin finish. I just have to decide on which tonewood. Some say the satin finish of the P-03 is more responsive over the P-09 (gloss finish) due to the thinner coating. I personally love the simplicity of the satin finish.

I've been giving it some thought and decided to scratch out the little martin. Knowing myself GAS will kick in and I will be longing for a Larrivee anyway. I will be saving for a Larrivee P-03 with the satin finish. I just have to decide on which tonewood. Some say the satin finish of the P-03 is more responsive over the P-09 (gloss finish) due to the thinner coating. I personally love the simplicity of the satin finish.

Although I haven't played both, I can say that the "gloss vs. satin" stuff is a myth with modern finishes. They are almost always chemically the same material - and the same thickness. Arguably the satin is actually thicker, as it has an additive for the "satin" and less polish than the gloss (thus less is worn away). Either way - it makes no sound difference. Get the one you like.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned the Blueridge BR-341 parlor...

They are import Martin knock-offs, but damn fine guitars for the buck. Nice appointments, love the slotted head-stock. About half the price of the Larrivee.

BR341_front.jpg

Yes those Blueridges are really nice even the 361 with rosewood. The body is a bit bigger than the Larrivee Parlors and some people actually prefer its sound. Although they are imports everyone seems to be happy with them. Definitely one to add to the collection.

Well guys, I had the chance recently to get my dream uke (a really rare issue Pono). So I went for it. I am temporarily aborting the guitar mission due to lack of funds. Maybe I'll try again later! Thank you all for your advice... I'll definitely revisit this thread when i decide to try guitar sometime.

It's flying across the oceans right now, lukuleles. It'll arrive in about a week, I believe, and then I'll definitely post a thread about it. Can't wait!

Top Bottom