Vote for the Ukulele Half Strap Name!

Vote for a name for this new ukulele accessory

• Total voters

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, the straps are going out to the testers, and some people already have theirs.

I would like to have all you UU forum folks vote on a name for this unique strap. If you haven't seen it yet, here is the link to the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEz6nn06aE
I have several names I have been thinking of, and some of you have submitted names too. So, please vote for your favorite names. I want something that will appeal to you, the ukulele playing customer. If you have a name to offer, please feel free to do so.

Thanks
–Lori

must have missed this the first time around...what an awesome idea...good luck with it!

I'm going to have to try one. Looks like a cool idea and if it would make it easier to stand and play I'll have at least 6 of them.
One question: It the material around the peg head soft? I would be worried about ware on the finish after extended periods of playing.

Wearing on the headstock was also a concern of mine. Especially if its nylon. If wear isn't a problem it would be nice if you sold extra straps for just the headstock that you could leave on so that you could just unclip the neck part to switch out ukes.

Very creative idea Lori. I too missed it the first time around. For what it is worth, I thought position 1 and perhaps 3 looked more comfortable for my style of playing. Best wishes on making it a commercial success. It shows how much thought you put into it.

Wearing on the headstock was also a concern of mine. Especially if its nylon. If wear isn't a problem it would be nice if you sold extra straps for just the headstock that you could leave on so that you could just unclip the neck part to switch out ukes.
Yes, I have been thinking about that too. I used the softest tubular nylon webbing on the current headstock samples, and it is pretty soft. But, I would like to offer separate headstock accessories, so you could have them on several ukuleles at once for a quick switch. Maybe soft leather as an option, like those Martin guitar headstraps? Maybe a some sort of microfiber material would be softer? Maybe fleece? The shoelace ties that come with many straps are sure stiff and I wonder how those wear? What would you trust next to your ukulele's finish?

–Lori

I also voted for Uke-a-Loop .. Giving it a cool name will intrigue people.. "Uke-a-Loop ? Whats that.. Sounds pretty cool!!! Let me click on this link to find out :)

Lori,

I use a Planet Waves Guitar Quick Release on a couple of my mandolins. I like the thin flexible strap/lace that loops around the headstock.

7531735_ra.jpg

Lori,

I use a Planet Waves Guitar Quick Release on a couple of my mandolins. I like the thin flexible strap/lace that loops around the headstock.

7531735_ra.jpg

If I sold the headstock accessories separately, I might run into some patent infringement problems. D'Adario has a patent very similar to that. It is a sticky problem. I don't want my design to get rejected in a final Patent application. As part of the entire strap, it may be OK. But if you just look at the headstock strap accessory... well...???

–Lori

Last edited:
Hi Lori I have an admission to make. I have sort of bastardised your idea and have knocked up something similar to help me play standing up. Anyway I have something which you may like to think about doing. My dad was In the navy and has some rope tying skills. He braided some rope into a nice pattern and braided it onto a female clip. This then slots under the strings like the previous picture. Would this affect your patent?

Last edited:
Hey Lori,

Great idea, I voted for the uke-leash name. Put a warning on it, "Do not tie your uke to the bumper of your car at rest stops!"

At the UWC2010, we could help you make an infomercial for your strap. Hopefully there will be an exited uke player attending with an Australian accent which seems to be a requirement. Whatever price you decide in will have to end in xx.99 and you will have to come up with an accessory to throw in so you can say "and that isn't all, call now and you will receive absolutely free a uke shine cloth.

Lori,

I forgot to mention that I LOVE your warning label... great graphic, an unexpected treat <vbg>

I really like the cool sounding names, such as uke loop, lasso, leash, etc., but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's most important to lead with something that stresses how it will make the potential buyer's life easier/solve a problem or potential problem. And the general public is usually in a hurry, has a short attention span, & is easily distracted by a thousand other things - U basically have about half a second to convince a person to continue looking! So I would lead off with E-Z Play, or Easy Hold, (or similar) followed by the cute, & further explanatory name....... Uke leash, loop, half-strap, etc.........

FWIW- a few years back, someone was selling a strap called a uke-a-loop. You can find references and a dead link on some BBs

FWIW- a few years back, someone was selling a strap called a uke-a-loop. You can find references and a dead link on some BBs
Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I Googled Uke-a-Loop and found those references too. It was from 2005. Someone still owns the domain name (.com) right now, but it is up for renewal/ expiration in a few months. It sounds like it was a velcro tape solution... perhaps it was renamed the Flea Collar and sold at Flea Market??? I haven't found anything current on it though. I wondered if anyone here remembers that product? Would it confuse you to see another Uke-a-Loop? Or perhaps it wasn't very well known at the time.

–Lori

I really like the cool sounding names, such as uke loop, lasso, leash, etc., but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's most important to lead with something that stresses how it will make the potential buyer's life easier/solve a problem or potential problem. And the general public is usually in a hurry, has a short attention span, & is easily distracted by a thousand other things - U basically have about half a second to convince a person to continue looking! So I would lead off with E-Z Play, or Easy Hold, (or similar) followed by the cute, & further explanatory name....... Uke leash, loop, half-strap, etc.........

Yes, it needs a good marketing hook. I like Easy Hold Uke Leash.

Hi Lori I have an admission to make. I have sort of bastardised your idea and have knocked up something similar to help me play standing up. Anyway I have something which you may like to think about doing. My dad was In the navy and has some rope tying skills. He braided some rope into a nice pattern and braided it onto a female clip. This then slots under the strings like the previous picture. Would this affect your patent?

I think the strength of my patent depends on the 2 quick release buckle system, and the fact that you don't have to permanently alter your instrument to use it. The configurations might also be unique enough, but I think it is the combination of these things that make it "novel, non-obvious, and useful". "No drilling, no damaging sound hole hooks, glues or adhesives" is a major part of it's features.

I like the idea of a knotted strap, but it would be costly in mass production. I want to keep labor costs down, so that the strap can sell for a reasonable price.

–Lori

Top Bottom