PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the Ukulele Half Strap Name!

Lori
02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, the straps are going out to the testers, and some people already have theirs.

I would like to have all you UU forum folks vote on a name for this unique strap. If you haven't seen it yet, here is the link to the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEz6nn06aE
I have several names I have been thinking of, and some of you have submitted names too. So, please vote for your favorite names. I want something that will appeal to you, the ukulele playing customer. If you have a name to offer, please feel free to do so.

Thanks
–Lori

ritzer012
02-21-2010, 07:08 PM
must have missed this the first time around...what an awesome idea...good luck with it!

nohandles
02-22-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm going to have to try one. Looks like a cool idea and if it would make it easier to stand and play I'll have at least 6 of them.
One question: It the material around the peg head soft? I would be worried about ware on the finish after extended periods of playing.

Ronnie Aloha
02-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Wearing on the headstock was also a concern of mine. Especially if its nylon. If wear isn't a problem it would be nice if you sold extra straps for just the headstock that you could leave on so that you could just unclip the neck part to switch out ukes.

seeso
02-22-2010, 03:44 AM
The Uke-a-Loop!

SweetWaterBlue
02-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Very creative idea Lori. I too missed it the first time around. For what it is worth, I thought position 1 and perhaps 3 looked more comfortable for my style of playing. Best wishes on making it a commercial success. It shows how much thought you put into it.

Lori
02-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Wearing on the headstock was also a concern of mine. Especially if its nylon. If wear isn't a problem it would be nice if you sold extra straps for just the headstock that you could leave on so that you could just unclip the neck part to switch out ukes.
Yes, I have been thinking about that too. I used the softest tubular nylon webbing on the current headstock samples, and it is pretty soft. But, I would like to offer separate headstock accessories, so you could have them on several ukuleles at once for a quick switch. Maybe soft leather as an option, like those Martin guitar headstraps? Maybe a some sort of microfiber material would be softer? Maybe fleece? The shoelace ties that come with many straps are sure stiff and I wonder how those wear? What would you trust next to your ukulele's finish?

–Lori

generem
02-22-2010, 07:17 AM
I also voted for Uke-a-Loop .. Giving it a cool name will intrigue people.. "Uke-a-Loop ? Whats that.. Sounds pretty cool!!! Let me click on this link to find out :)

ukeskywalker79
02-22-2010, 08:11 AM
What a great product Lori. I voted for uke loop but I also like uke-a-loop. Its a very catchy/marketable name that everyone can remember.

AlanZ
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Lori,

I use a Planet Waves Guitar Quick Release on a couple of my mandolins. I like the thin flexible strap/lace that loops around the headstock.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7531/7531735_ra.jpg

Lori
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Lori,

I use a Planet Waves Guitar Quick Release on a couple of my mandolins. I like the thin flexible strap/lace that loops around the headstock.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7531/7531735_ra.jpg

If I sold the headstock accessories separately, I might run into some patent infringement problems. D'Adario has a patent very similar to that. It is a sticky problem. I don't want my design to get rejected in a final Patent application. As part of the entire strap, it may be OK. But if you just look at the headstock strap accessory... well...???

–Lori

raecarter
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Lori I have an admission to make. I have sort of bastardised your idea and have knocked up something similar to help me play standing up. Anyway I have something which you may like to think about doing. My dad was In the navy and has some rope tying skills. He braided some rope into a nice pattern and braided it onto a female clip. This then slots under the strings like the previous picture. Would this affect your patent?

Doug W
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey Lori,

Great idea, I voted for the uke-leash name. Put a warning on it, "Do not tie your uke to the bumper of your car at rest stops!"

At the UWC2010, we could help you make an infomercial for your strap. Hopefully there will be an exited uke player attending with an Australian accent which seems to be a requirement. Whatever price you decide in will have to end in xx.99 and you will have to come up with an accessory to throw in so you can say "and that isn't all, call now and you will receive absolutely free a uke shine cloth.

AlanZ
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Lori,

I forgot to mention that I LOVE your warning label... great graphic, an unexpected treat <vbg>

J'Ukebox
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I really like the cool sounding names, such as uke loop, lasso, leash, etc., but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's most important to lead with something that stresses how it will make the potential buyer's life easier/solve a problem or potential problem. And the general public is usually in a hurry, has a short attention span, & is easily distracted by a thousand other things - U basically have about half a second to convince a person to continue looking! So I would lead off with E-Z Play, or Easy Hold, (or similar) followed by the cute, & further explanatory name....... Uke leash, loop, half-strap, etc.........

EDW
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
FWIW- a few years back, someone was selling a strap called a uke-a-loop. You can find references and a dead link on some BBs

Lori
02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
FWIW- a few years back, someone was selling a strap called a uke-a-loop. You can find references and a dead link on some BBs
Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I Googled Uke-a-Loop and found those references too. It was from 2005. Someone still owns the domain name (.com) right now, but it is up for renewal/ expiration in a few months. It sounds like it was a velcro tape solution... perhaps it was renamed the Flea Collar and sold at Flea Market??? I haven't found anything current on it though. I wondered if anyone here remembers that product? Would it confuse you to see another Uke-a-Loop? Or perhaps it wasn't very well known at the time.

–Lori

portlandjosh
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I really like the cool sounding names, such as uke loop, lasso, leash, etc., but from a marketing standpoint, I think it's most important to lead with something that stresses how it will make the potential buyer's life easier/solve a problem or potential problem. And the general public is usually in a hurry, has a short attention span, & is easily distracted by a thousand other things - U basically have about half a second to convince a person to continue looking! So I would lead off with E-Z Play, or Easy Hold, (or similar) followed by the cute, & further explanatory name....... Uke leash, loop, half-strap, etc.........

Yes, it needs a good marketing hook. I like Easy Hold Uke Leash.

Lori
02-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi Lori I have an admission to make. I have sort of bastardised your idea and have knocked up something similar to help me play standing up. Anyway I have something which you may like to think about doing. My dad was In the navy and has some rope tying skills. He braided some rope into a nice pattern and braided it onto a female clip. This then slots under the strings like the previous picture. Would this affect your patent?

I think the strength of my patent depends on the 2 quick release buckle system, and the fact that you don't have to permanently alter your instrument to use it. The configurations might also be unique enough, but I think it is the combination of these things that make it "novel, non-obvious, and useful". "No drilling, no damaging sound hole hooks, glues or adhesives" is a major part of it's features.

I like the idea of a knotted strap, but it would be costly in mass production. I want to keep labor costs down, so that the strap can sell for a reasonable price.

–Lori

Lori
02-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Lori,

I forgot to mention that I LOVE your warning label... great graphic, an unexpected treat <vbg>

Thanks, I used to do a lot of graphic design. Comes in handy from time to time.

–Lori

Lori
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with your thoughts here. The only question I have with it is that some phases have been so overused, that they become invisible. I do want to communicate those ideas, but I don't want it to become too generic. There should definitely a "First Read" name, and a "Second Read" sub-name that explains it more. So maybe something like "Uke-a-Loop, the E-Z play ukulele support" and a extra exclamation balloon saying "no drilling or tapes needed"... or something to that effect.

So, what do you all think? Is E-Z, or Easy overused? Or does it still have eye catching power?

–Lori

Skitzic
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I think it would feel it was cheap if I read E-Z on the package. I would think TV infomercial. I would just make sure NO DRILLING/GLUE REQUIRED is somewhere in large print. That would draw my attention enough to pick it up.

portlandjosh
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Is E-Z, or Easy overused? Or does it still have eye catching power? –Lori

I personally despise cutesy non-words, like "E-Z." Easy is the word. How about something like: "Uke-a-Loop, the snap-and-play ukulele support leash." Yeah, it's pretty long.

EDW
02-22-2010, 03:34 PM
My recollection of the previous uke-a-loop was that it was for the flea/fluke instruments and involved an adhesive velcro attached to the base of the instrument.

Lori
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
My recollection of the previous uke-a-loop was that it was for the flea/fluke instruments and involved an adhesive velcro attached to the base of the instrument.

Ah-ha! Someone actually remembers it. So, would it be confusing to you to see a different Uke-a-loop? I don't want my design to be strongly associated to a adhesive velcro system. Was it around for very long?
–Lori

Harold O.
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Lori brought a bunch of the prototypes out to our uke gathering last week. None of us were used to using a strap, but by the end we were all pretty impressed. We tied it this way, that way, the other way, commented on softness, clickability, and a host of other things that Lori didn't anticipate but watched with open eyes.

We couldn't come up with any reason the [your name here] uke strap wouldn't fly.

EDW
02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Ah-ha! Someone actually remembers it. So, would it be confusing to you to see a different Uke-a-loop? I don't want my design to be strongly associated to a adhesive velcro system. Was it around for very long?
–Lori

I don't know if there are many who would recall or not. But, for your info check the bottom of p3:

http://www.salemukes.com/Ref_Strap_Options_for_Ukes.pdf

Lori
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't know if there are many who would recall or not. But, for your info check the bottom of p3:

http://www.salemukes.com/Ref_Strap_Options_for_Ukes.pdf

Thanks for the link! That is interesting that someone would mention it even though it has been discontinued. I thought maybe it was changed to this: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=213
but I see that the Jumping Flea Collar has a velcro adhesive tape and a sound hole hook.
–Lori

Mouthy1
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
do you sell these now? How about the strap-on? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lori
02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
do you sell these now? How about the strap-on? Sorry, couldn't resist.
I am hoping to refine the design with the test group before going into real production on it. But, a few people have wanted a strap sooner than that, and we have worked it out. I do not have a lot of surplus materials on hand right now, since some of those materials will change after testing. I haven't set up an internet store, or anything like that yet. There is still a lot to do. The name, packaging, instructions, and marketing venues... all things to decide upon. But only if the testers feel the design has merit.

–Lori

Mouthy1
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, lots of work for sure! Okay, I have a winning name and maybe you can send me a test version then...here it goes:
1) FleaStrap
2) Flea Leash

Those have got to be worth a testing the water version? Cool product and I am always looking for a good useful "FleaStrap" so this is very appealing to me. Thanks for trying to bring it to life!

rock_and_roll_camera
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't care how poorly it's doing in the poll, I'm sticking with my suggestion of Strap-u-lele. I think it's quite catchy! Although marketing over here probably works slightly different then in the US so maybe different things grab us? But yeah, I think an initial "Grab" name and then a follow up "Explination" name would be the best way to go and you definately need to include the "NO ADHESIVE, NO HOOKS, NO DRILLING" bit under there in really big, stand out writing! Maybe that could even be the eye-catcher, with the name and details a secondary item? Either way I think this is a fantastic idea, a real... "Why didn't I think of that!?" So simple and yet so effective, I can't wait to get mine to test out, hopefully arrive in the post in the next day or two...

I already have a few ideas about the item, but I'm waiting until I recieve it to voice them, so as I can make a more informed comment. Really can't wait though!...

Ahnko Honu
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
How about "King Thong", and have a gorilla playing a 'ukulele on the label.

jinny
02-23-2010, 01:00 AM
if you made a strap to fasten to a leg, you can call it a uke-garter.

I was also going to suggest Uke-thong but that name is already taken by a different strap AND I didn't want to think about how, or where, it would fasten after passing it through the butt cheeks.

I tried one out at a San Fernando Valley/Guitar Merchant meet-up and thought it was a great idea.

Lori, if you happen to get any more made (any color/pattern... well, maybe something not too feminine), I'm ready to buy!

mds725
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
–Lori

If someone was selling a product called Uke-a-loop, he, she or it may have gotten a trademark on the name "uke-a-loop," which would permit he, she, or it to sue anyone else who tries to market a product under the same name. Before selecting an official name, you may want to consult with a trademark attorney or trademark search service. You can also get more information at the US Patent and Trademark Office website, http://www.uspto.gov/, which has a search function.

Lori
02-23-2010, 09:34 AM
If someone was selling a product called Uke-a-loop, he, she or it may have gotten a trademark on the name "uke-a-loop," which would permit he, she, or it to sue anyone else who tries to market a product under the same name. Before selecting an official name, you may want to consult with a trademark attorney or trademark search service. You can also get more information at the US Patent and Trademark Office website, http://www.uspto.gov/, which has a search function.
Good advice. My searches so far on that site have brought up nothing. I might have to go to the Los Angeles Public Library Downtown to check out the trademark books. I did that many years ago, before computers were everywhere. As I recall, those books were full of logo designs, more than names of products. I don't want to spend more money on a search service until the test marketing phase is complete. First the product must be deemed marketable. I may have to go with Uke Leash or one of the other choices if there is too much baggage with Uke-a-loop.
–Lori

UkuleleHill
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Just so you know...

http://ukulelia.com/2006/05/uke-loop.html

Lori
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Just so you know...

http://ukulelia.com/2006/05/uke-loop.html

Thanks Ukulele Hill. I saw that one too. Not very many hits on Google, and that one was from 2006. Anybody know the Tony Palomino they mentioned? If I could talk to him, I could find out if he did any trademark or copyright applications, or what his plans are for the product. Is it really discontinued? If anyone notices any more info on Uke-a-loop (I already know who has the domain name) please let me know.

–Many Thanks
Lori

Lori
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
What do you guys think of Uke-aLoop? A minor variation, but it might be enough of a difference to create a bit more distance between the old product. Or should I add an addition to the name like The California Uke-a-Loop, or Uke-a-Loop Leash? What about Uke-a-Looper?
–Lori :anyone:

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Uke-a-Looper made me laugh. That sounds like a really fun roller coaster!

scottie
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
How 'bout the strappado. . . wait. . . NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION. . .

J'Ukebox
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
How about Strap-Ease, the simple no-drill solution.......

Also, it makes a difference how/where U will be marketing them - is it primarily E-bay? Will U be wholesaling to stores? Will there be a photo/illustration of the item in use on the packaging, to help explain, taking some of the pressure off the name?

portlandjosh
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
There were some great illustrations with it showing how to put it on. Did you do the sketches, Lori?

Lori
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
There were some great illustrations with it showing how to put it on. Did you do the sketches, Lori?
The line drawings in the top row I traced from still frames from the video. The other illustrations showing the 4 positions were drawn by my husband, who can really draw! I added the strap details.
–Lori

Lori
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
It's a tight race between Uke-a-Loop and Uke Leash. I don't know if Uke-aLoop or Uke-a-Loop will give me too much trouble, whereas, Uke Leash seems like it might be free and clear of previous products. I emailed the owner of the domain name ukealoop.com, but no response yet.

Also, it makes a difference how/where U will be marketing them - is it primarily E-bay? Will U be wholesaling to stores? Will there be a photo/illustration of the item in use on the packaging, to help explain, taking some of the pressure off the name?

As far as where will it be sold? Unknown at this time. After I get the design refined, I will look in to the pros and cons of each method. It is likely to be sold in a number of different places to begin with. I am looking into doing Ebay, Amazon, Google Marketplace, Flea Market Music Marketplace as well as advertising on Ukulele websites like UU. I will also try guitar strap manufacturer / distributors to see if they would take it into their line. And then there are the Ukulele Manufacturers that might want to carry it as part of their accessories. So, there are a lot of options. One way or another, it will need some good documentation to go with the product.
–Lori

jdogface
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
How about "The Third Hand Ukulele Stabilizer"
T.H.U.S. as in
"Come play with thus."
"With thus Your playing will improve."
etc. etc....

or last idea: "The Flea Bandit" (as in Band-it, it is a band for your uke after all.)
whatever you call it it seems like a good idea, I wish you much luck on this endeavor.
Peace from the dogface

J'Ukebox
02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Re: marketing options... For instance, in-person, booth type sales could easily feature a live person, wearing & demo-ing the product - then U could call it absolutely anything & still be totally successful. However, the less U can "show", which is partly determined by how & where U are selling, the more the name must convey.......

Nichod
02-25-2010, 01:56 AM
It's a tight race between Uke-a-Loop and Uke Leash. I don't know if Uke-aLoop or Uke-a-Loop will give me too much trouble, whereas, Uke Leash seems like it might be free and clear of previous products. I emailed the owner of the domain name ukealoop.com, but no response yet.

As far as where will it be sold? Unknown at this time. After I get the design refined, I will look in to the pros and cons of each method. It is likely to be sold in a number of different places to begin with. I am looking into doing Ebay, Amazon, Google Marketplace, Flea Market Music Marketplace as well as advertising on Ukulele websites like UU. I will also try guitar strap manufacturer / distributors to see if they would take it into their line. And then there are the Ukulele Manufacturers that might want to carry it as part of their accessories. So, there are a lot of options. One way or another, it will need some good documentation to go with the product.
–Lori

Good luck! I have an offer for you...PM'ing

krabbers
02-25-2010, 02:16 AM
i like uke a loop it sounds fun

BashfulPuppet
02-25-2010, 03:25 AM
I have to say the the concept behind your uke strap is genius in its simplicity. The fact that it is able to be used without any modification to the instrument is wonderful.

When you go into production for this product could you come out with one that's made of leather. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to man made materials and musical instruments. I just think leather looks and feels better.

Oh yeah, and my vote for a name is Uke-a-loop. It identifies the application to the uke right off in the name. If there are legal issues with using that name my second is Strap-u-lele, not quite as good but still catchy.

Lori
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM
When you go into production for this product could you come out with one that's made of leather. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to man made materials and musical instruments. I just think leather looks and feels better....

When you picture a leather version, do you think of the buckles being stitched in, or would a rivet be OK? Also, I expect when you think of leather you are thinking of smooth, top grain leather like what is used on belts, not suede. Would plastic buckles bother you on a leather strap? I don't want to use metal buckles because they might mar the ukulele if they happen to make contact.

–Lori

wickedwahine11
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
When you go into production for this product could you come out with one that's made of leather. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to man made materials and musical instruments. I just think leather looks and feels better.

Just some initial thoughts after having the prototype for a little while now, I can honestly say, it really is helpful. I've only tried two of the positions so far (the hook to the belt loop -- which for me anyway was a tad wobbly), and the on the bicep version. I know I need to try the other methods, but to be honest the bicep one is working great for me. I've only used it so far on my Pineapple Sunday but is it such a help. The little concert body with the tenor neck was a little awkward for me in certain positions, and I was able to play easily in class for all two hours this week with not a bit of discomfort. Because I wasn't having to support the neck myself, and the strap was, I was able to play much better, and easier. And that was seated. Now, it is actually possible for me to play that uke standing up as well (though I very rarely would choose to do so).

I second the idea to try for leather though. I'm happy with this version but I admit, I would feel more comfortable with something a bit softer on the finish of my headstock. Or if not leather, perhaps if the strap could be lined with felt or something similar to avoid the potential for scratches. I don't think it will scratch my uke (believe me, it wouldn't go on my baby if I did) but I could see where others might not feel confident about the material.

On the whole, it is great Lori, I'm really enjoying it...

Lori
02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Just some initial thoughts after having the prototype for a little while now, I can honestly say, it really is helpful. I've only tried two of the positions so far (the hook to the belt loop -- which for me anyway was a tad wobbly), and the on the bicep version. I know I need to try the other methods, but to be honest the bicep one is working great for me. I've only used it so far on my Pineapple Sunday but is it such a help. The little concert body with the tenor neck was a little awkward for me in certain positions, and I was able to play easily in class for all two hours this week with not a bit of discomfort. Because I wasn't having to support the neck myself, and the strap was, I was able to play much better, and easier. And that was seated. Now, it is actually possible for me to play that uke standing up as well (though I very rarely would choose to do so).

I second the idea to try for leather though. I'm happy with this version but I admit, I would feel more comfortable with something a bit softer on the finish of my headstock. Or if not leather, perhaps if the strap could be lined with felt or something similar to avoid the potential for scratches. I don't think it will scratch my uke (believe me, it wouldn't go on my baby if I did) but I could see where others might not feel confident about the material.

On the whole, it is great Lori, I'm really enjoying it...

WW11– Thanks for the feedback. It is possible that I might offer leather headstock straps as accessories. Would it be strange to have just leather on the headstock and not on the strap? I have nothing against leather, except it will be more expensive, and the selling price would reflect that.

I know your problem with the PS... I have a similar problem on my Kanile'a SuperConcert. Actually I had the problem on all the ukes.

Thanks for being a great prototype tester!

–Lori

BashfulPuppet
02-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Regarding stitched or riveted with the leather I don't think it matters as long as there is no danger of scratching. And yes a smooth belt leather is what I had in mind probably brown in color. As to the connectors use the plastic ones they will be smoother and less expensive. Also it would make them able to be used with one another, if a musician has multiple ukes set up with them.

As to price, I suspect that a leather strap would be more expensive but I don't think the price would be off putting.

Jon

Lori
02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Regarding stitched or riveted with the leather I don't think it matters as long as there is no danger of scratching. And yes a smooth belt leather is what I had in mind probably brown in color. As to the connectors use the plastic ones they will be smoother and less expensive. Also it would make them able to be used with one another, if a musician has multiple ukes set up with them.

As to price, I suspect that a leather strap would be more expensive but I don't think the price would be off putting.

Jon

Thanks Jon
I am going to see what I can whip up as a prototype. Since several people have mentioned it, I feel it is a worthwhile option to offer. I will check out a Tandy store in town, and see what their advise is. I also need to see what kind of super soft/ strong leather could be used for the headstock strap, as well as a leather thickness that could be used on the main strap with the buckles. Thanks for the input on the rivets!

–Lori

mailman
02-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Lori,

In reference to the head stock strap and the potential for wear of the finish....

I worried about that issue, too. I think the problem could be averted using either fleece material or sweatshirt material. A tube or sleeve could be sewn out of one of these materials. Then you could either slide the sleeve over the existing strap, safeguarding the headstock, or the original strap could be replaced altogether by sewing the buckles directly to the new material.

The material would be cheap, available in a myriad of colors/patterns, and easy to stitch up.

Just a thought....

mailman
02-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Regarding the potential for problems using the name Uke-A-Loop....

Would a different spelling solve the problem? How about the Ukuloop? Sounds enough like "uke-a-loop" to retain the catchy feel, looks more like "ukulele"....

Lori
02-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Lori,

In reference to the head stock strap and the potential for wear of the finish....

I worried about that issue, too. I think the problem could be averted using either fleece material or sweatshirt material. A tube or sleeve could be sewn out of one of these materials. Then you could either slide the sleeve over the existing strap, safeguarding the headstock, or the original strap could be replaced altogether by sewing the buckles directly to the new material.

The material would be cheap, available in a myriad of colors/patterns, and easy to stitch up.

Just a thought....

That is a good idea. I need to watch the thickness of the headstock strap, since it has to fit under the strings. The standard fleece I have here is too thick, but maybe a microfiber (like what is used to clean eyeglasses) would work for that. I am about to go to the fabric store, so I will see what they have. I just bought some upholstery leather to test out. It is very soft, and thin. I need to test for strength though. I have a small scrap sample, and if it works, I will by a hide and make up some leather headstock straps. Possibly try it for the main strap as well.

Regarding the potential for problems using the name Uke-A-Loop....

Would a different spelling solve the problem? How about the Ukuloop? Sounds enough like "uke-a-loop" to retain the catchy feel, looks more like "ukulele"....

That is a pretty good suggestion. It is very close in sound (you-koo-loop), and the domain name is available. It's not quite as strong as Uke-a-loop since it is easier to see Uke as Ukulele, since people are used to seeing that shortened name. But, I like the repetition of letters, it has an interesting look. There will still be people who will search the other spelling. It is always a little more difficult if you have to spell a name out for people. Uke Leash is still getting a lot of votes too. I probably would have less trouble communicating that name to folks.

Good Ideas!
You guys are the best!
–Lori

Lori
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Here is my test with leather. It seems soft enough with the suede side toward the ukulele. I wish it were a little thicker, but it might work as it is.

–Lori

wickedwahine11
02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Here is my test with leather. It seems soft enough with the suede side toward the ukulele. I wish it were a little thicker, but it might work as it is.

–Lori

Lori, that looks great. I would definitely buy one of those in brown for my uke...definitely. And it alleviates the concern about scratching the finish on the headstock. How did you make the leather one? If I can't buy one from you, I'd like to make one myself in leather.

Lori
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Here is a sleeve of "Soft and Comfy" fleece around the Tubular Nylon strap. They didn't have very many colors, but I figured this one will do for testing. It is a little tricky turning it inside out after stitching. I just know there is some quick and easy trick to it!
I think it looks like a caterpillar. This stuff is way softer than regular fleece, and softer than flannel too.

Below it you can see the suede side of the leather strap.

–Lori

Lori
02-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Lori, that looks great. I would definitely buy one of those in brown for my uke...definitely. And it alleviates the concern about scratching the finish on the headstock. How did you make the leather one? If I can't buy one from you, I'd like to make one myself in leather.

WW11– Since you are in the test group, I could send you one to try in black. They had one Black and one Dark Brown hide to buy (along with some other colors) for around $75, but I didn't know if it was going to work, so I just got a small black swatch from the nice man at the leather store. I would also send you a green caterpillar to try too, so you could test the two options. I am running low on plastic parts, and have reordered, but I can send samples to a couple of other testers who have asked about this... Mailman, portlandjosh, and Country Mouse.

If you want a brown one now, out of leather of your choosing, you could send it to me, and I would make it. I had to buy a bunch of leather related tools to punch the holes, and install the rivet (mini anvil, hole punch, mallet, rivets, rivet set, rotary cutter). PM me or email if you want to do that.

–Lori

wickedwahine11
02-26-2010, 03:49 PM
WW11– Since you are in the test group, I could send you one to try in black. –Lori

Sweet Lori! I just sent you a PM! :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
uke-a-loop !!!

portlandjosh
02-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Hi Lori, I'd be glad to test out the leather attachment. It looks like it'd be a gentler connection with the uke. Do you recommend connecting between the four pins or up against the nut? Cheers!

Lori
02-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Lori, I'd be glad to test out the leather attachment. It looks like it'd be a gentler connection with the uke. Do you recommend connecting between the four pins or up against the nut? Cheers!
I prefer between the 4 posts, but I have tried it both ways and it works. I guess it depends how you hold the uke. The against the nut position was a little close to the fingering at the first fret, so sometimes my thumb would feel a little bit of the strap in the back. The leather is thin though, so it wasn't really annoying.

If you rotate the buckle toward the back, behind the headstock, I find the central position between the 4 posts stays fairly clear of the tuners.

I am sending you a leather headstock strap and caterpillar today in the mail.

–Lori

Melissa82
02-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Strap is working great! I think it would be nice to have some strap covers. The buckle bothers the back of my neck unless I'm wearing a sweater. But that's something I can easily make myself. :) These are awesome, great work Lori!

Zaza The Rebel
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm really liking the way this strap is working. I've explained it to my family, and they seem to think it's a little odd but they like it. I like position 2 - around the upper arm - best, but the thigh strap is also surprisingly comfortable. I'll have my sister try it out (she's learning to play), and it looks like it should be fine on her.

Thanks again so much!

Lori
02-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Strap is working great! I think it would be nice to have some strap covers. The buckle bothers the back of my neck unless I'm wearing a sweater. But that's something I can easily make myself. :) These are awesome, great work Lori!

Thanks Melissa
Good comment about the buckle comfort. You might try shortening the arm loop a bit, and maybe the buckle will be more on the shoulder instead of the neck. And the idea a movable shoulder pad might be an interesting optional accessory. So far, I haven't found any ready made suppliers for a shoulder pad for a 1/2 inch strap.

I'm really liking the way this strap is working. I've explained it to my family, and they seem to think it's a little odd but they like it. I like position 2 - around the upper arm - best, but the thigh strap is also surprisingly comfortable. I'll have my sister try it out (she's learning to play), and it looks like it should be fine on her.

Thanks again so much!

Thanks Zaza
I know the idea is a bit unusual, but I am glad you like it. I show the position 1 first since it is the closest to what people are used to seeing, and it is a good introduction to the concept. But I think positions 2 and 3 are the most useful. I could see position 4 (with the leg strap) as one you might use instead of #3, if you didn't want to have your clothing gathered up around the belt loop.

Thanks for the great input. Keep it coming!

–Lori

Lori
03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Well, the votes are in, and
:smileybounce:Uke-a-Loop is the winner! :smileybounce:
It appears that the name is available, and hasn't been registered as a trademark.
If I find that there are problems with getting the domain name, when it is due for renewal in April, I will go with
Uke Leash instead.

Thanks for all your input and help with the name!

–Lori

Lori
04-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Well, update to the final name for Ukulele Half Strap. I contacted the person who had made the discontinued Uke-a-Loop strap (with hook and loop tape) and she was very nice. She still has the option to continue her domain name, and hasn't decided what she will do yet. She did say, however, that she found the "loop" part of Uke-a-Loop made many people think of Velcro, which surprised her. That is not a good association for my product. She also wasn't sure she wouldn't start making them again, because when she stopped making them, it was more about taking up too much of her time, and not about product demand. Her product was really geared more toward use on inexpensive or plastic ukuleles, so that might also be a negative connection. I loved the name, but too much history to make it a comfortable choice. So, the new winner is
Uke Leash. I am constructing a website right now (it has been changing constantly this week) and I am about to shoot new videos and product photography for the site. What is there right now are placeholders, using the videos I already used for the prototype testing group. The website will have a shopping cart, and I will also sell on eBay. Still so much to do... I expect it will take another 2 or 3 weeks before everything is ready. If you want to check on my progress, I am at ukeleash.com (http://www.ukeleash.com)
–Lori

Pippin
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
How about the Uke Sling Thing or Uke Sling.

Lori
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
How about the Uke Sling Thing or Uke Sling.
I had considered Sling (actually Sling-a-Long), and it has a nice sound to it, but I kept feeling like something was broken, or that something is difficult to carry. Leash isn't perfect either, but it is a more accurate description of what is going on. One person said leash sounded like taming a wild thing. It came in pretty strongly in the poll. For some, "leash" has positive connotations from boogie boarding or surfing (board leash), and many pet owners seemed to like leash as well. I am having a branding iron made now, and I bought the domain name, so it is pretty much decided now. I love how much you all have helped me. Many Thanks!

–Lori

Mouskie
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
How about "Ukulele Strap-On." Sell like hotcakes in the sex erotica shops...