D'addario T2 vs. Savarez Alliance

Saverez Alliance Red or Blue works better on a Kalla Acacia Tenor? I use worth strings and I am not happy with the sound, although my other ukuleles work just fine with worth.

I changed the Aquilas for Ko'olau Golds & never looked back. Will give the new Ko'olau Platium a chance as soon as they are available.

where are you guys buying the Savarez strings? I've been looking online, but so far can only find guitar strings

where are you guys buying the Savarez strings? I've been looking online, but so far can only find guitar strings
Just Strings or Strings by Mail. At Just Strings, click on single strings on the left side. At Strings by Mail, go to Classical Guitar and click on the manufacturer.

Having just finished a trial of the T2's...I found them waaaaay too high tension for my uke, I was afraid they would cause damage. I would not recommend them to anyone...nice idea D'adarrio, but NO cigar. Personally I went back to Aquila's and my uke thanked me for it!
:wtf:

asking for what's the best strings is like asking what is the best color/number/letter. everybody's got opinions.

i look at it like this. i have two (actually more, but stick with me here) solid koa `ukulele both made by the same company, yet one sounds maika`i with t2 as recommended by kekani and the other sounds better with savarez as rec'd by uluapoundr. sound is subjective. both are great strings, but good sound is relative, so try them both on for yourself. don't cut the excess and test them each for a week.

and austin1, strings are strings. there's no `ukulele specific savarez.

Having just finished a trial of the T2's...I found them waaaaay too high tension for my uke, I was afraid they would cause damage. I would not recommend them to anyone...nice idea D'adarrio, but NO cigar. Personally I went back to Aquila's and my uke thanked me for it!
What brand uke did you string them on?

I realize this is probably a dumb question, but please chalk it up to the fact that I'm a general musical noob. I'm confused: if Savarez (or any other guitar company) doesn't make ukulele packs of strings, then where do you get the C-string? I thought guitars were strung eadgbe, while ukes were gcea.

(apologies again)

i thought the E-string was used both for the "g" and "A" on the uke. And then the G-string for the "C" and the B-string for the "E".... that's a lot of single letters, hope you get what I mean.

At least I have done this once, and it worked out just fine.

I realize this is probably a dumb question, but please chalk it up to the fact that I'm a general musical noob. I'm confused: if Savarez (or any other guitar company) doesn't make ukulele packs of strings, then where do you get the C-string? I thought guitars were strung eadgbe, while ukes were gcea.

(apologies again)

Technically, D'Addario Pro Artes are not `ukulele strings - they are classical guitar strings. The C string is the third string (from the bottom). Capo a guitar at the 5th fret, and see what your "open" strings are on the first four courses.
No apologies. See below.

i thought the E-string was used both for the "g" and "A" on the uke. And then the G-string for the "C" and the B-string for the "E".... that's a lot of single letters, hope you get what I mean.

At least I have done this once, and it worked out just fine.

Correct. The first 4 strings off a classical set will be the four strings on a Tenor for low g. You can use the first string and slack it for a high g fourth string, or, I prefer to take a lower tension 2nd string and bring it up to pitch (when the rest of the strings are high tension).

You should've used a lower tension set (which D'Addario has). Of course, I too would not recommend them to anyone that has an instrument that won't take advantage of the strings. Same goes for Savarez. Personally, I love higher tension strings, especially on Spruce tops - can set the action lower so playability increases. Depending on the bracing, like MGM's most recent thinline, Savarez seem to gravitate towards my hardwood tops, generally. They're a little "softer" than the D'Addario's, but they have that certain "ring" that's non-existent in a string like Aquila. Between the two, its a tossup. Like 1014, it comes down to two things - the instrument, and the player. That's how it should be.

I think once a player gets past the "volume" issue (or lack thereof), they will be able to focus on the sound (or tone) issue.

Just my $.02 - Aaron

Last edited:
okay, another question that might seem a little bit dumb.... is the classical guitar string thing just for larger ukes, or could I do this on my soprano too? My uke looks even smaller next to my classical guitar.

I use T2's but I tune my uke down a step. It's a great way to have a lower sounding uke without floppy strings.

I do use T2 normal tension on most of my uke and really like them. I think that it has less tension than the normal Savarez Alliance.

I also prefer more the feeling of T2 compare to the Savarez which I find maybe a little bit too thin. I think T2 is the closest to the nylon feel strings and it's a very nice alternative to classical nylon if you want to try something different.

Top Bottom