To Fluke or not to Fluke

Skitzic

Reaction score
So I've been eyeing up Flukes recently, but I'm wondering if the Rosewood fret vs the plastic fret really makes a huge difference? I've read a handful of reviews, and they all have differet opinions. What's yours?

Thanks

I first bought a Fluke (the Midnight Blue one) about a year ago and ended returning it after a week (Thank goodness for the return policy). The Fluke bought had a plastic fretboard because I wanted to save money. I read that the difference was not too noticeable but when I was playing it it just felt odd. The sound was great but I was not enjoying the way it fely while playing. I recently bought another Fluke, the one with a Mahigany top, with a Rosewood fingerboard, and now I bring it with me everytime I am travelling. My vote is that the extra bucks is well worth it.

I have had the plastic one for years. It is a bit of an issue if you want to see the frets in low light. The feel and intonation are fine for me. It is a personal thing. You have to see what you like. I don't think the rosewood is necessary overall, but if you have a little $ to burn it is a nice upgrade.

Whether it makes a big difference to you depends on several things:

1. Are you someone who must look at the frets when you play in low light - the plastic fretboard is clearly harder to see in low light. Personally, I try not to look, and the plastic fretboard doesn't bother me. If it did, I would put a few drops of white fingernail polish on the side of the plastic as a guide. Alternatively, drill a tiny hole and insert some white plastic as one thread here demonstrated.

2. Do you not like the way the uke looks with the plastic fretboard - again I like the way my all black lava flea looks, especially with the all white Aqulas sort of floating above it.

3. Do you want to play with wound C strings - I don't, so I don't have to worry about that one. I didn't even like the wound C on my tenor before I went to Aquilas.

4. Do you want to play outside and in harsh environments without worrying about it - I do.

5. Do you want to worry about humidity etc. with wood and metal frets - In my short ukulele career (2 1/2 months) I have already had enough experience with popped up frets, bad intonation etc, to last me a lifetime.

Even if they are more worry, I love my wooden fretboard ukes btw, I just also like the utility of the all plastic fretboard, and I like the way it feels, just as much as I like the way my rosewood fretboards feel. It is just different, but I enjoy the Flea for what it is.

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that you can send a Flea/Fluke back and have the fretboard replaced with the wooden one for $85, compared to the $75 more it costs to get one like that in the first place. Of course there would be shipping charges, but its not an irrecoverable decision.

Last edited:
I prefer the rosewood fret board. To me it looks and feels better.
I use the fluke when traveling and don't believe the rosewood fret board is a hinderance.
I don't/won't subject any ukulele to harsh conditions.

i have flukes with both the plastic and rosewood fretboards and they are equally nice to play. i have no problems seeing the frets on the plastic one. if you like the look of the rosewood and are willing to pay for it, you should go for it. otherwise, you'll probably regret it later.

Clearly not a right or wrong answer on this preference, it is very personal. I love the plastic on my Fluke. Like SweetWaterBlue, I really like the look of white Aquilas on the all black surface of the plastic. Someone marveled at a photo of mine, "Wow, is it fretless?!" as in, how cool is that?

The only MUST about the metal frets (as others have mentioned) is wound strings. If you plan to play low G, or with a wound C - then I strongly reccomend the non-plastic fretboard. Wound strings will chew up plastic frets over time.

That said - I love the plastic frets on my fluke. Very easy to slide - no rough edges. From a pure hand feel point of view, they play better than any custom I've layed a finger on. They are the best seated and best dressed frets I own. Of course, that's because they are neither seated nor dressed, but molded - so it's not really fair.

When I get my next Fluke - I'll probably stick with the plastic (although I like the fancy top-woods, so I may be stuck with the other fretboard).

The only MUST about the metal frets (as others have mentioned) is wound strings. If you plan to play low G, or with a wound C - then I strongly reccomend the non-plastic fretboard. Wound strings will chew up plastic frets over time.

That said - I love the plastic frets on my fluke. Very easy to slide - no rough edges. From a pure hand feel point of view, they play better than any custom I've layed a finger on. They are the best seated and best dressed frets I own. Of course, that's because they are neither seated nor dressed, but molded - so it's not really fair.

When I get my next Fluke - I'll probably stick with the plastic (although I like the fancy top-woods, so I may be stuck with the other fretboard).

that is good to read. I have in my mind I want a concert flea, so I dont take my Lehua to work, and wondered if I should pop for the wood. I also wanna take to beach,, which Im sure plastic would be better. I just like the way the flea looks better than the fluke

You can get a tenor Fluke, though, which was a bigger draw to that over the Flea. I love my tenor Fluke!

I wish I liked the way the flukes look. I had a sop flea before & like a moron sold when I needed some cash,, but I think I will get a concert next time

I'm looking at a used concert Fluke right now. I'm pondering. For under 200 I'm thinking it's a steal.

I'm looking at a used concert Fluke right now. I'm pondering. For under 200 I'm thinking it's a steal.

I managed to snatch a used (but basically, new) tenor Fluke for $100. I'm pretty sure it was the deal of the century. If the price were creeping up to $200, I think i might go with a factory order myself.

ROFL. I tried to hold back, but the only thing worse than a Flea/Fluke proselytizer is one that also likes the plastic fretboard. Its probably best to just ignore us.

Then stop casting dreamlike images...

Yes, love the Flea for "what it is": magnificent...

Here's an Idea thats Way out of the box. Buy your self a Makala Dolphin for $35 in some groovy color and see if you like plactic. The buy the Fluke. the best part of the idea is you'll have 2 Uke's. One that is a great beater and 1 to enjoy in the more prestine environments. Also the 2 Uke's will help satisfy the burn UAS feeling inside you.

I think SWB said it best. "Its probably best to just ignore us."

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Top Bottom