Low Wound G Suggestions that last longer.

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had trouble with wound low g stings in the past (just coming apart at where it touches frets after a couple weeks of play). I normally go for all fluorocarbon Worth Brown sets for Low G tuning, but I want to give a Wound Low G string another try on a tenor of mine soon.

Can anyone suggest a wound low g tring (single meant for ukes or classical guitar or a set) that you know lasts long?

Thanks

I have had pretty decent luck with D'addario and Aquila classical strings (D wound).
They do wear at the frets and Iwind up replacing them 2 or 3 times before replacing the whole set.
If you want to use a wound string I believe it just happens. There are plain low G strings. I had some intonation problems with them so went back to the wound.

I use a D'addario classical guitar D string for my low G. It lasts a while but not nearly as long as the worth clear strings I use. I usually go through 3 wound G strings by the time I change the other strings.

I've never met a classical style wound that was durable. It's just in their nature to wear out quickly. Even if they don't pop or fray at the fret points - they lose tone quickly. Florocarbons are the only solution I've found (with all of the trade-offs they bring).

On a side note I've also never met a wound D'addario string that didn't sound terrible - but that's just my opinion.

After shredding a few Aquilas, Ko'olaus, and D'Addarios, I'm pretty convinced that there isn't a durable wound low G on the market. Seems like you're better off living with the loose tension of the Worth or Fremont fluorocarbons for a low G.

I just got a set of Worth Clear Medium Low-G's on my Kala concert. I like the sound so far but man is that G touchy. I read on the net somewhere that Iz restrung his ukulele for low-G with standard strings by swapping the C over to the G and then following through with the next lower gaged strings for the C, E and A. Of course I can't find the webpage now to support my wild claims. Has anyone else ever heard of Iz's doing this?

Last edited:
I just got a set of Worth Clear Medium Low-G's on my Kala concert. I like the sound so far but man is that G touchy. I read on the net somewhere that Iz restrung his ukulele for low-G with standard strings by swapping the C over to the G and then following through with the next lower gaged strings for the C, E and A. Of course I can't find the webpage now to support my wild claims. Has anyone else ever heard of Iz's doing this?

I don't know about Iz, but one of the premier ukulele players in Santa Barbara switches strings 3 & 4. I have played his ukes and the feel was a little off for me. Probably would get used to it with just a little play.

The problem is likely with your frets, not the strings.

Do your frets have a nice rounded profile? Has your uke ever been to a luthier to have this done?

My baritone lanikai used to chew through strings in a few weeks. Then I had it set up (after letting it get too dry, the poor thing) last winter, and I still have the strings on it now that I had on it during UWC.

Top Bottom