Flea/Fluke Concert vs. Ohana CK-70RB

grasshopper

Reaction score
Has anyone compared these two ukes side by side? I want to get a composit-back uke but can't decide on which one.

I have not compared these instruments side by side. But if you want a youtube performance do a search on Justechords, who demonstrates a roundback in his clips. I own a concert flea with a rosewood fretboard, which I am very happy with. Sound is good, and in my opinion the neck is "spacious" , a feature which I enjoy very much. Looks are modern pineapple on the flea, and ovationish on the Ohana. In terms of numbers sold, I think the flea will win it....Kantor has the Ohana you are enquiring about, and from what I re-call he is very happy with that instrument, and found it to be well worth the money. The end choice will still be yours. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Both are nice ukes, but there's something to say for the solid spruce top (Ohana) vs laminated pine (Flea/Fluke) - it makes a difference in tone. Volume wise the Ohana is louder. Feel, well the Ohana comes standard with rosewood fretboard, whereas with the Flea you'd have to upgrade. Ohana has in their wisdom put a strapbutton on this uke. On the other hand, Fleas and Flukes have a certain "cool-ness" about them.

I am glad someone asked this because I was curious myself. I will say that I have 4 Ohana's and they are terrific. They are just great Ukes and super sound and playablity. I had a Fluke which I didn't like but really want a flea now for somereason and now this thread makes me start thinking???

I am glad someone asked this because I was curious myself. I will say that I have 4 Ohana's and they are terrific. They are just great Ukes and super sound and playablity. I had a Fluke which I didn't like but really want a flea now for somereason and now this thread makes me start thinking???

Owning a Flea right now, it's easy to know about that "some reason." I'm seriously thinking about getting another one.

Until I got my Ohana SK-35G, I thought my concert Flea sounded like a soprano. Now, I know it doesn't really. The Flea is much bassier than a real wood soprano, because the body is larger, even though they only classify the neck as a concert. The Flea sounds more like a pineapple than a figure 8 soprano, or perhaps more like a concert. I don't own a traditional concert, so I can't really say. In some ways, the real soprano sounds more like a banjo. I guess I should do a side-by-side sound sample, rather than trying to describe it in words, which is hard to do.

Last edited:
Until I got my Ohana SK-35G, I thought my concert Flea sounded like a soprano. Now, I know it doesn't really. The Flea is much bassier than a real wood soprano, because the body is larger, even though they only classify the neck as a concert. The Flea sounds more like a pineapple than a figure 8 soprano, or perhaps more like a concert. I don't own a traditional concert, so I can't really say. In some ways, the real soprano sounds more like a banjo. I guess I should do a side-by-side sound sample, rather than trying to describe it in words, which is hard to do.

I think that's a fair comparison. It depends on what sound you're after.

Thanks everyone for your input. After much thought, I must go with the CK-70RB for their solid wood top, neck and fretboard. The price is very reasonable, too.

revitalising this thread as I've just asked a similar question elsewhere. The Clearwater UCW7R seems identical to the Ohana CK-70RB, but shiny backed rather than matt. It also has a pick-up. I changed Aquilas for Worth CTs and its got much quieter and 'tighter' (feel/tension and perception) and doesn't seem to like them at all. Any other suggestions on strings for the 70RB other than keeping Aquilas? I'm also interested in whether the composite dynamics of the Flea influence strings similarly.
I'm now wondering whether the small tension/diameter differences on two of the four strings will make any feasible difference in feel over the recommended CMs (for this concert size)...

Top Bottom