Some words of encouragement for everybody

Citrus

Reaction score
Occasionally, when I've been playing/recording myself I get a little down in the dumps and focus on the negatives of where my skill is at at the time. When those times rear their ugly heads, I find comfort in some wisdom I've picked up along the way.

1) If you're worried you don't have a good singing voice, listen to bob dylan. Most people have heard this one before, but you know it's true! It helps put perspective on with what a-normally-would-be-a-really-lousy voice can do if you train it enough and put heart into your music

2) If you're worried you only have "a couple pieces" ask yourself this: "How many popular films did George Lucas really make?" It comes down to just star wars and raiders of the lost ark. He's considered one of the best film directors in history, and he only has "a couple good pieces"

3) If you're worried about not having started early enough on ukulele (I started when I was 22), think about the Jackson 5. How many years could Michael Jackson really have spent before he learned to belt out music the way he did when he performed with them.

4) Conversely, if you're worried you aren't making enough gain in your attempts to be the next Jake S. in the time you have, remember Jake S. has been playing ukulele since he was 3!

5) One of the most popular YT ukulele videos is Elephant Town. That teaches you so much right there. It shows that if you really have spirit you can rock the world even if you aren't the best player out there. It shows that if you're not afraid to go out there and play, you can do a lot to inspire other musicians, and it show's so much more too when you look close enough!

6) Everybody's rooting for you! I know I personally want to see as many great ukulele players out there as possible, so keep on ukein' :shaka:

2) If you're worried you only have "a couple pieces" ask yourself this: "How many popular films did George Lucas really make?" It comes down to just star wars and raiders of the lost ark. He's considered one of the best film directors in history, and he only has "a couple good pieces"

Steven Spielberg might have something to say about crediting him with "Raiders". But he did direct "American Graffiti", one of the greatest films of all time. And who could forget his deeply moving epic "Herbie"?

However, you do make a really good point. And I agree.

But he did direct "American Graffiti", one of the greatest films of all time.

Yeah, and those three Star Wars films were pretty awesome too!

Yes. There were only three.

Some will say that there were six, but they're dirty stinkin' liars who are trying to fool you. These "prequels" do not exist. Repeat this over and over to yourself. You'll be glad you did!

(Oh, and good post, Citrus!)

JJ

wise & encouraging words , I will try to remember them. I havent heard elephant town ,, but I will check it out.

I dont have any goal to play like Jake ,, not that he isnt excellent ,, but I basically want to be my own version ,,of a rolled up ball, consisting of some Howlin Hobbit & Craig Robertson,,, I know very high goals ,,, who am I to dream that?? ,,,,, nobody,
but its still a dream,
dreams are fun,

Good thread, Citrus.

I will add this thought:

If you were to sit down right now and play the absolute best you will ever play in your life, the rest of your life will be spent wishing you were as good as you once were.

Good thread, Citrus.

I will add this thought:

If you were to sit down right now and play the absolute best you will ever play in your life, the rest of your life will be spent wishing you were as good as you once were.

That is the best advice I have ever heard. Well said.

Good thread, Citrus.

I will add this thought:

Wow, that's a great philosophy. I'll remember that if I'm shooting a 17 and standing on the 18th tee! : )

I appreciate the sentiment, but can't we use Harper Lee as an example instead of George Lucas? Please?

Wonderful encouragement for all of us to consider.

We will all get better and better as we grow in our love for this little instrument
and spend quality time with it.

Our singing will improve, our digital dexterity will smoothen out, our rhythmic
efforts will become noteworthy (in a good way), and our enjoyment will become
even more positive than it is now.

Right Ken, a ukulele is forever!

Those are some really thoughtful and inspiring words, Citrus! Thanks for the encouragement. I sometimes feel like kicking myself for starting to play the uke seriously so late in life -- in my fifties. But I guess if I practice hard, I can be pretty good in about 50 years. Anyway, good to hear that other ukers have the same up and down feelings as I do.

Segovia decided at the age of 26 that he would take guitar playing seriously. He was still getting better when most people retire, give up, pass way, et cetera.

And not to sound self-aggrandising, because they're not my words, but read my signature. That's all you need. That's my sense of perspective.

Thank you so freakin much :)

These were my exact thought today

Remember it's not the destination it's the trip. If you picked up the uke for the first time and played like your favorite Uke God what fun would that be? Listening to yourself is a great way to get better but don't fret if you don't sound like Pavarotti, remember, he couldn't play a lick on the uke.

Top Bottom