Spruce Soprano...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
After suffering a cheap first Soprano for so long and having now upgraded to an amazing solid Mahogany concert which is now my main player I'm looking to upgrade my Soprano to something more playable, but not so bank breaking. I want cheap but reliable. I keep the concert in it's case as its very valuable to me. My current Soprano usually hangs on the wall, though my brother-in-law is has it now as he's taking up uke. I want my new soprano to be nice, but not something that I'll be protective over, just something I can hang on the wall without worrying about it's value should the temperature affect it etc...

My first instinct is to recommend you the Kala travel soprano with the spruce top.
That's on the inexpensive side, but not cheap.

Now, as far as something cheap that would look good hanging on a wall, I have a surprising recommendation. The banjo-shaped uke that Mahalo is making has a solid spruce top. It's a strange little bird. A novelty item with charm. The fretboard is flush with the top, and it has a single strap button on the bottom. Between the round shape and the solid spruce top, it's got a spanky little sound. It comes with the dark strings, maybe Hilo or GHS. No doubt the round little honey would benefit from a string-change, but after these stretched and settled, they're playable.
I got one of these a week ago. It had been a desire and novelty item for me, but once I realized it had a solid spruce top at such an inexpensive price I figured it was time. I got the sunburst finish, which has a very rustic look. It's a fun little beastie at a stress-free price.

Another great choice is the "New" Ohana solid spruce top with solid mahogany back and sides with ebony fingerboard and Gotoh tuners. They just came out and we should have them in this week .They also have a cedar/rosewood soprano that just came out but thats cedar. The Kala travel soprano would be a great choice too.

You might try a flea. They have a nice sound.

My first instinct is to recommend you the Kala travel soprano with the spruce top.
That's on the inexpensive side, but not cheap.

Now, as far as something cheap that would look good hanging on a wall, I have a surprising recommendation. The banjo-shaped uke that Mahalo is making has a solid spruce top. It's a strange little bird. A novelty item with charm. The fretboard is flush with the top, and it has a single strap button on the bottom. Between the round shape and the solid spruce top, it's got a spanky little sound. It comes with the dark strings, maybe Hilo or GHS. No doubt the round little honey would benefit from a string-change, but after these stretched and settled, they're playable.
I got one of these a week ago. It had been a desire and novelty item for me, but once I realized it had a solid spruce top at such an inexpensive price I figured it was time. I got the sunburst finish, which has a very rustic look. It's a fun little beastie at a stress-free price.

you got a pic of this???

MAHALO UKE-BANJO Item Number: UB-30SB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032FOI1C...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0032FOI1C
UB-30SB.jpg

Last edited:
the kala flamed mahogany sopran is cool, and $112 at MGM. cheap ohana's have friction tuners, which aren't as fun. i might get the thinline soprano from kala...

that's says something about my attention san, i think... ;)

I sure like the Ohana Vita uke I just got from you today, case and all, mahogany with the solid spruce top, it is a little honey, just what I was hoping for. Not sure I like the Aquilas on it but it doesn't seem to mind them, I'll swap them out later. Messed around with it so much today my fingers are sore from all the slides and hammer ons, it really has a lovely sound and response and very nice playability, I'm enchanted.

Top Bottom