musical theory section on main page?

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
so im noticing that there are a lot of questions from a lot of the newer people here about musical theory. i already got the ukulossary going, but i didnt want it to become a go-by for theory. so i left all that stuff out.

but what you guys think about a section on the main page with musical theory FAQ's?

maybe have links to threads that answer these questions. or even maybe have some of our more theory inclined member write articles on the FAQ subjects.

I like the idea too, b/c I can play, but I dont know hardly any music theory.

I like the idea too, b/c I can play, but I dont know hardly any music theory.

ya same here. it would be great to learn more about music theory and applying that to playing the uke, or maybe even other instruments too

:cool:

i love that there's no shortage of smartass on this site --- i'm with it -- i'd like to see this section

yessir. the fact that deach is a smartass, makes me respect him even more. for those that know me personally... can you imagine a conversation between deach and myself? hahaha... youtube worthy.

Personally, I’m not sure a new section in the forum is necessary. Couldn’t this be a part of the tips, and techniques area? I think a sticky in one of the sections for FAQ on music theory would be great. I’m just not sure if it warrants a new section. The forum has expanded with so many sections that it’s getting difficult to find enough time to get through just the few of interest with all the increased activity. But that’s what happens when you grow and become the best ukulele forum on the Internet. Lord knows that if you do create one, I should spend lots of time there because I don’t know squat about music theory to speak of.

Ima take music theory next seem its sapose to be hard :uhoh: any thing I learn ill be glad to post it up if it applies & if i understand it ide hate to post the wrong information

Personally, I’m not sure a new section in the forum is necessary. Couldn’t this be a part of the tips, and techniques area? I think a sticky in one of the sections for FAQ on music theory would be great. I’m just not sure if it warrants a new section. The forum has expanded with so many sections that it’s getting difficult to find enough time to get through just the few of interest with all the increased activity. But that’s what happens when you grow and become the best ukulele forum on the Internet. Lord knows that if you do create one, I should spend lots of time there because I don’t know squat about music theory to speak of.

my thoughts exactly. thats why i was thinking about how cool it would be to have a music theory FAQ on the main page. hopefully with articles written by some of our members. and/or links to threads where the answers are already explained.

...a music theory FAQ on the main page. hopefully with articles written by some of our members. and/or links to threads where the answers are already explained.

You are hitting the nail on the head with that last sentence. In the past weeks, some very good references have come by, and the FAQ could very well take on the form of a "You want music theory? Read these links before you go further".
On the other hand, the lack of a FAQ is not the cause of the repeated question threads. That blame goes to the "Search" link not being large-font, blinking fluorescent color with a beeping sound. It's just so hard to find on the front page.

Music theory??? You mean there's a theory to this whole thing? Ok, then I got the first question for the FAQ:

What is musuc theory?

Having a basic grounding in music theory is a good thing and no mistake but do realize that much of it was put together to explain stuff that was already being done.

It's like Miles Davis once said at a performance, "We're going to play it for you now and tell you what it is later."

So that's what music theory is.

Top Bottom