Saddle under tension

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
We are working on a small guitar (42 cm scale length, same as a tenor uke) and decided to use a buffalo horn saddle. The problem is that the horn piece is slightly bent so that when it is pushed into the bridge slot it is under some tension. I'm wondering what kind of effect this could have on tone transmission. Any ideas?

As long as the tension is not enough to keep the saddle from fully seating to the bottom of the slot, I would not think it would be a problem.

Brad

I doubt it'll make a clearly audible difference, but I would guess that the tension could be a good thing. Kind of like a loaded spring, adding energy to the vibration. Other than what Bradford mentioned about bottoming out flat, I can't think of any negatives. If you're putting in a UST, then different story...

Thanks guys. I think we may have to reconsider using this saddle as there is practically no way of actually removing the sidewards tension and without doing so I'm not sure the downward pressure from the (albeit steel, but low guage) strings will be sufficient to keep the saddle pressed down to the bottom correctly.

Hi Erich. Would you perhaps be able to test it with the slightly bent saddle first, and then with a perfectly straight one, preferably of the same material? It would be good to know exactly how much difference in sound they would give. I'm thinking the energy from the strings will get to the soundboard without a noticeable loss even if the saddle isn't seated in its full length. Energy will not just disappear, it can only transform. Of course, if the fit is bad the saddle can make a rattle or a buzz, or maybe some notes will be affected more than others. If it's simple to check, I think you ought to try two saddles.

ATB / Sven

Hi Sven. No problem. The "warped" saddle is practically finished, so I can just pop it in for comparison. The other horn pieces also have some wavy lines, so I don't know how much luck we're going to have with this material. Honestly, I am such a wood addict that I'm tempted to just pull out our box of treasures and make a nice ebony or boxwood bridge, but I guess we can give the buffalo horn one more try.

BTW, is this stuff actually "correct" with regard to preservation, protection of animals, etc?

B2U2 (best to you too),
Erich

Top Bottom