Bridge pins

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
I have a few questions about bridge pins. I've noticed that some of you use them - maybe you can help.

1) What kind of pins do you use? I've seen plastic, wood, bone, horn, metal... Apart from the looks, what about durability, tone, etc.

2) What size would be right for a (tenor) uke? The same as the ones available as replacemet pins for guitars? I've seen guitar pins with 5 mm and with 4.2 mm diameter at the top.

3) How do you bore the tapered pin hole through the bridge>top>bridge plate? Do you have a special reamer?

Ideas :anyone:

Hi Erich, I have used wood, ivory, and plastic pins. The mass of the pins will have some effect on the sound, generally lighter and smaller are better, but there may be exceptions, the only way to know is to experiment with a specific instrument. You do need a bridge pin reamer to match the taper of your pins. Stew-Mac has them.

Brad

Belated thanks for the info, Brad.

I would like to try a pinned bridge on the tenor we're about to embark on but I'm still wondering about the size of the pins to use. Standard guitar pins seem awfully big for a ukulele bridge. Does anyone know a good source for ukulele-size pins?

Top Bottom