Listened to my older videos this morning.... Ouch.

PoisonDart

Reaction score
Anyone else ever do this?

I must have improved a lot because I can hear a bunch of flaws...

It kind of makes me want to get rid of them (vanity) or redo them all (potentially constructive vanity) or just accept them as what they are (lazy? accepting? hurtful to others ears?)

I don't know. I'm glad that my ear has improved, and I'm glad I am willing to sit in a song longer these days.

I've been singing (and playing some, but mostly singing) at a house music night every week for about six months, and it really has made a lot of difference. Part of it is just vocal practice, learning my range, and how to listen to myself while playing, but also slowing songs down and really learning the melody inside your mind. If you don't know what the note is, you can't sing it. If you don't know what the rhythm is, you can't strum it.

Before I took down all my covers, I was thinking about taking down my older vids for the same reasons you stated. But it's YouTube. Screw it. I put/keep them up to journal my progress.

deach is right -- it's a great way to show your progress.

If you don't know what the note is, you can't sing it. If you don't know what the rhythm is, you can't strum it.

Wise words, my friend. Wise words.

Anyway, I say keep 'em up there, if only to have documenation of your improvement that will inspire others who are just starting out.

JJ

Before I took down all my covers, I was thinking about taking down my older vids for the same reasons you stated. But it's YouTube. Screw it. I put/keep them up to journal my progress.

Aw, man... Didn't know YouTook down YourCovers! Guess YouHadTo... Maybe YouCould start a new channel like Seeso did. Deachcovers. Don't take your old originals down. You're right - it's actually kinda fun to "visit" them from time - they get lonely... :(

Slash always says he cringes whenever he hears 'Appetite for Destruction', life would suck a little more if he could make the choice to recall it... keep it, its history and deserves its place, listening to older stuff can bring back great memories and feelings like ukecantdothat says.!

I think that having videos that document your entire musical journey is valuable not only to you but also to the public. As a student it can be helpful and inspiring to see the progression from ragged to polished.

It's a good way to get feeling better when you are in a wierd funk and think you suck after hearing a new vid/mp3. Just go back and listen to the old stuff....and you'll say now THAT sucks. It's all relative. I also like to hear how some of the older sutff was done. As I play them the same songs change and morph. It's a great way to enjoy that journey.

Top Bottom