My attempt at a thickness sander

luvzmocha

Reaction score
Thank you Timbuck:

My friend let me use an Atlas machine to cut the key way in the shaft. I have not touched a machine in 20 years and he cussed me for cutting it .006 to deep.

I used a 5 inch hole saw for the roll.

Then answered an add on Craigslist for free laminate sink cutouts, roughly 22x 32 inches. I carried as much as I could in my little car. Felt like I hit the lottery.

Cost so far:

20$ for a 1hp motor
7$ for the pulleys
15$ for the bearings

More to come as I get the time!

George

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 48
Great work so far. I spent so many years with a 3 inch planner in the drill press and then a 3 inch sanding disc to finish when I had a chance to afford a thickness sander I bought one. An 18 inch open end Grizzly. Really don't know how I ever lived without one. Once you get one you will wonder why you didn't have one already.

A few more pics

Had a few hours that past few nights.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 58
I forgot to mention when I built mine ..It's a good idea to drill a small hole through the roller and spindle and knock in a short piece of rod (nail) to prevent the roller slipping and turning on the spindle when in use...you could just drill a hole thro' the pully into the roller end on yours, as it's held with a keyway.

I forgot to mention when I built mine ..It's a good idea to drill a small hole through the roller and spindle and knock in a short piece of rod (nail) to prevent the roller slipping and turning on the spindle when in use...you could just drill a hole thro' the pully into the roller end on yours, as it's held with a keyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I drilled the and tapped the pulley for a 1/4 20 thread and ran a 6 inch piece of all thread into the roll. I have been working a lot of hours so I have not made to much progress but here are a few pics.

George

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
Looking good!

My velcro and paper came in today. I had to try it out even though the dust collector is not done.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 33
Great stuff!:cool: coming along nicely..Make sure you fit a guard to it as well..It can get nasty if your hand gets sucked in

Thanks Timbuck, will do! Does anyone have a source for a round sanding faceplate that I can attach to the rod on the outsiide of the sander?

TIA

George

Top Bottom