Help Dating This Mysterious Vintage Kamaka

VixDee

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

I'm looking for help with this vintage Kamaka. There are many unusual things about it, but the most unusual is the double label in the soundhole. There is a gold label and a white label glued on top of the gold one. Also, it appears to be a tenor size but with the sail style headstock. The bridge has come loose, but doesn't appear to be original. There is also no butt joint, it's just one solid piece all the way around the sides.

Anyone have any ideas as to the era of this Kamaka? I'm trying to get the story behind it from the owner, but I would appreciate your opinions.

Mahalo in advance!
CIMG0204.jpgCIMG0222.jpgCIMG0225.jpgCIMG0228.jpgCIMG0231.jpg

More pictures in next post!

CIMG0217.jpgCIMG0216.jpgCIMG0218.jpgCIMG0219.jpgCIMG0226.jpgHere are the rest of the pictures!

have you considered dinner and a movie? Or maybe a nice walk in the park?

It's pretty similar to my tenor Kamaka. Sail head stock, bridge pins, friction tuners, the wood is a little darker though and mine is a gold label. The label switched from gold to white in 1969. Why would someone put a white label on top of a gold one? I have no idea. Maybe a factory second from around the time that the label design switched? Just a guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that white label on top of the gold one is interesting. I'd love to find out what that means.

Thanks again!

I'll probably shoot Kamaka an email about the double labels. Hope to find an answer.

Top Bottom