sound port cutting fixture

zog

Reaction score
You luthiers that put the side sound ports in your ukuleles.
I assume it is done after the sides are bent at least, probably after the top and bottom are on.
Anybody willing to share what you use to make the hole and get it symmetrical.
I am making a koa tenor with a hibiscus soundhole and think I might have to add a sound port to get the
proper area for a big sound.
Mike

First thing you need to know Mike is that it needs a patch behind it. I use a solid patch of Spanish cedar, about .060" thick, glued and clamped to the inside of the upper bout. I cut the sound port after the sides are bent and the kefing is attached and sanded to the proper contours. That way I'm sure it'll be centered. The most common way I've seen it done is with a hole cutter in a drill press. It looks scary but it works OK. If you do it that way make sure the uke is supported well and that it doesn't get away from you. I don't do it that way any more because I do oval sound ports, simply cutting the interior with a Dremel and saw wheel attached finished with a sanding drum. Of course you'll be using a pattern to mark bothe the location and the shape.
Good luck. If you find a better way, let me know. BTW, binding a sound port is a complete PITA!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Chuck I know you are doing lots of them. At least the ones on your website a large percentage have the sound ports.
Are you making them on your spec ukes, the ones you send to the shops or just mainly on the customs?

I have been getting repair work lately from a Hawaiian transplant over here that plays music for the local hula dancers,
incredible huh! Hula dancers in Alaska. I made a new nut for his Kamaka 8 string and a new bridge/saddle for his Sonny D 8 string.
Now he wants me to make a custom 8 string for him.
Mike

Top Bottom