Today was Ko'olau Day

clayton56

Reaction score
koolau_ula.jpg

I left plenty of time before work to pick up my newest uke at the UPS center, then spent an hour in the parking lot playing it like a crazy person.

This is my first Ko'olau, and boy is it nice. I chose ulawood and it was just the sound I wanted. A little lighter and poppier than mahogany, very sweet tone with lots of character. Maybe a folk sound more than an island sound, but I'll have to think about it. And the workmanship is superb, no flaws anwhere in playability, cosmetics or tone. All balanced. But there's an extra dimension, the Ko'olau magic, this thing is more resonant than any of my other ukes, it just sings. I couldn't be happier.

It came with friction tuners, but the kind that cost more than geared. Grovers maybe? Anyway, the feel of the tuners is very smooth, not that 'fingernail on the chalkboard' feeling I get twisting other friction tuners. I think there's some sort of bushing in the tuner that buffers the friction bearing surfaces, regardless, I don't miss geared tuners.

And the wood is gorgeous, it glows orange. Even grain though, no flame. But very nice color and appearance.

Last edited:
Congrats on that one! Just goes to show you what they say about quality...

As far as "even grain" tonally...you're probably better off...

I hope you get many years and mileage out of that one.

They look stunning. I've never had the privilege of even seeing one in the flesh, let alone play one. You lucky person!

Congrats! This is a great uke. Anxious to hear and see you play it!

Congrats on your new uke! Looks beautiful! I know that Gotoh makes a deluxe friction tuner than has a toothed washer in it or something... quite expensive and work really well. Maybe that's what you have. Anyway, hope you put up some video soon so we can all hear it. :)

It's Stunning. Even the case is beautiful. I've never seen or heard 1 in person either and I don't see on in my immediate future. It's nice to live vicariously through the folks on UU. Good luck with it. congrats!

Congratulations Clayton, beautiful 'ukulele. The Ko'olau factory is just a minute away from I lake I like to fish at in center of island, and John Kitakis has invited me personally to come visit. I'll have to combine fishing and 'ukulele and get up there to Wahiawa town. Is the top Ula wood too?

Congrats, it's a beauty! I have 3 Ko'olaus on order and can hardly wait! No, I'm not wealthy, I've just fallen really hard for this new hobby and, having practiced every day since I started in Aug. last year and getting ready to retire this summer, I figured I might as well lay in 3 more quality instruments so I'll have one in each size, while I'm still earning a paycheck, otherwise good luck convincing the wife on spending the big bucks on my rest of my life hobby after I stop working. Anyway, good on you. Enjoy!

Congrats, it's a beauty! I have 3 Ko'olaus on order and can hardly wait! No, I'm not wealthy, I've just fallen really hard for this new hobby and, having practiced every day since I started in Aug. last year and getting ready to retire this summer, I figured I might as well lay in 3 more quality instruments so I'll have one in each size, while I'm still earning a paycheck, otherwise good luck convincing the wife on spending the big bucks on my rest of my life hobby after I stop working. Anyway, good on you. Enjoy!

OMG! Hope your Social Security doesn't run out! : )

OMG! Hope your Social Security doesn't run out! : )

That's the other part of stocking up before I retire: my wife will still be working for another year! Picture me retired, hanging around the house with my ukes, when not kayaking, and I order more? Not a chance!

That's the other part of stocking up before I retire: my wife will still be working for another year! Picture me retired, hanging around the house with my ukes, when not kayaking, and I order more? Not a chance!

Denial is the first sign of UAS. You will never conquer it until you admit that you have it. But then again, why would you want to conquer it? :)

Congrats on your new Ukulele! Its so beautiful. I got my Pono Mahogany Concert Ukulele also from Ko'olau 'Ukulele also. I hope that you will enjoy yours as much I do. I love my Pono and the sound of it.

Denial is the first sign of UAS. You will never conquer it until you admit that you have it. But then again, why would you want to conquer it? :)

Very perceptive! I actually plan to buy a basic concert Flea for the beach and kayaking, but I will order it for my birthday, which comes right around retirement time!

Top Bottom