Birthday Uke is coming Sunday...I am getting impatient...

Eriquito

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its a Mainland (though it could be a Flea). I'm positive its a soprano. I am DYING to play it. This feeling is especially acute when I'm playing my Hilo with action higher than a US tourist in Amsterdam. But I digress, is it generally accepted that a person's playing will get at least easier if not better on a higher quality Uke? Is playing my Hilo kinda like running with weights on?

If the action is as high as you say it is? yes, it's harder to play than mainland or a flea (which has a very very low action). I was surprised how much easier it is to hit chords when you're not using a death grip to for chords. Congrats on the new surprise!

is it generally accepted that a person's playing will get at least easier if not better on a higher quality Uke? Is playing my Hilo kinda like running with weights on?

In my experience, my playing improved overnight when I went from an Oscar Schmidt Concert to a Mainland Soprano. Not only will a better sounding uke help YOU sound better, it will also cause you to play and practice more, which tends to yield good results (although your family or significant other may disagree:))

So I would say yes to both questions. Assuming your new uke is properly set up, it should be a bit easier to play. It will also sound much better as the intonation will be much better as you move up the fretboard. I can't tell you that you're gonna sound like Aldrine after a couple hours with the new uke, but I can almost guarantee you will notice a BIG difference.

Have fun with it, that's the whole point...

hilarious metaphor

action higher than an american tourist in amsterdam. Is it just me or is the writing better on the uke forum in addition to being more civil? I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your style.

I also liked your writing. I also agree with the others that the lower action alone will knock you socks off. Then the sound will blow you away. What kind of strings are on your Hilo? Brecause if you are getting a Mainland (Great choice) then you will be getting a beautiful Uke set up with Squila strings and that could help also. Keep us posted as to what you get. Good lcuk. You'll do great.

I also liked your writing. I also agree with the others that the lower action alone will knock you socks off. Then the sound will blow you away. What kind of strings are on your Hilo? Brecause if you are getting a Mainland (Great choice) then you will be getting a beautiful Uke set up with Squila strings and that could help also. Keep us posted as to what you get. Good lcuk. You'll do great.

Not to change the subject but I LOVE Squila (shako) sushi!
squilla.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG

A better instrument is insperational also which will or should make you want to practice more. Mainland is a great choice. Congrats and good luck.

Happy birthday - mine is on saturday...

I agree - you'll gain more confidence on a better instrument.

Top Bottom