PDA

View Full Version : oh , no did I screw up buying this?EBay ,

Swampy Steve
02-24-2010, 04:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=350319916875&view=all&tid=0

34.00 bucks ,+ shipping ,, could it really be solid wood ?? I saw it and couldnt help bidding ,, really thinking I wouldnt "win"

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Info no longer available to view.

But for 34 bucks, you can't lose. Even if it's just a pretty decoration.

Swampy Steve
02-24-2010, 04:59 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-Koa-Tenor-Ukulele-MOP-Art-Inlay-1033_W0QQitemZ350319360341QQcategoryZ0QQcmdZViewIt emQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DRPSI%252B NGRI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUA%252BUCP%252B MAGEXP%26otn%3D10%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8073 611138911110374
heres one just like it ,,, hore link works

paraclete
02-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Not sure.... I've heard mixed things about some of these Chinese inlay artists. There is one guy, can't remember name, that is total trouble. Have you tried googling the company and seeing what comes up?

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Wow, I don't know. It is really pretty, but I have a hard time swallowing solid koa for 35 bucks.

But it's pretty, and if it sounds decent then you made a decent buy. It's only 35 bucks. :)

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:10 AM
$85 shipping?! Holy steep pricing Batman!!!

But hey, I still stand by the whole if it sounds good it wasn't a rip-off thing.

Swampy Steve
02-24-2010, 05:11 AM
but the shipping is 85.00 impulse control issues again

Paul December
02-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Sorry to Rain-on-your-parade.... but I've heard nothing but bad stuff about the Vietnames inlay ukes :(
Poor craftsmanship, warps, cracks, ugly inlay work, and etc.
Once you factor in the high shipping... that's $120 for wall art.
If possible, I'd cancel the order and put the $$$ towards an instrument that can be played. IMO a properly set up laminate would probably sound (and play) better.

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Oof. In the end it's live and learn I suppose.

Maybe you'll get lucky and score a decent one.

Paul December
02-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Oof. In the end it's live and learn I suppose.

Maybe you'll get lucky and score a decent one.

Ebay has ways to retract bids, and cancel sales if you made a bidding mistake.
You can even offer to cover the re-listing cost for the seller because you "misread" the listing.
$120 can get you a nice uke nowadays.

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Ebay has ways to retract bids, and cancel sales if you made a bidding mistake.
You can even offer to cover the re-listing cost for the seller because you "misread" the listing.
$120 can get you a nice uke nowadays.

Is that newish? A few years ago I put in a bid by mistake and I was told I was out of luck. I'm very careful now.

Paul December
02-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Is that newish? A few years ago I put in a bid by mistake and I was told I was out of luck. I'm very careful now.

What I did was appologize to the seller saying I made a mistake and asked for a refund minus his listing costs. I made sure to say I'd leave positive feedback.
It was for a $200 watch, and I think he kept $10

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:42 AM
What I did was appologize to the seller saying I made a mistake and asked for a refund minus his listing costs. I made sure to say I'd leave positive feedback.
It was for a $200 watch, and I think he kept $10

Maybe I just got a bad seller. I thought I was nice enough and they just kind of told me to eff off and pay.

Swampy Steve
02-24-2010, 05:44 AM
I just did as Paul described, hope it works,,, Im thinking if he says no way,,,, why couldnt I just pay the 34.& change for the uke,& I will in fact have bought it,,, even if I dont pay to get it shipped to me.

Seems I totally screwed up,,, rather lose 35.00 than 120.00

Skitzic
02-24-2010, 05:46 AM
I just did as Paul described, hope it works,,, Im thinking if he says no way,,,, why couldnt I just pay the 34.& change for the uke,& I will in fact have bought it,,, even if I dont pay to get it shipped to me.

Seems I totally screwed up,,, rather lose 35.00 than 120.00

I hope it works out for you.

buddhuu
02-24-2010, 05:54 AM
The damage limitation idea is understandable.

Just thinking aloud here...

If it is not as described surely you have some recourse through ebay/PayPal... If it is as described, you win.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you somehow.

Paul December
02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
The damage limitation idea is understandable.

Just thinking aloud here...

If it is not as described surely you have some recourse through ebay/PayPal... If it is as described, you win.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you somehow.

If I remember correctly...
...the problem with this seller is he doesn't refund shipping cost and might even duduct the original shipping cost which ends up costing $170 to return the $35 uke you spent $120 to get :p
I don't believe PayPal/Ebay helps in this case :mad:

leftovermagic84
02-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Maybe, maybe not, Here's a thread where member Dino got one from the same seller and seems happy enough. Here's the thread. Let us know how yours turns out though.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?24041-Is-it-true

kalmario
02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
http://www.chionline.com/Antoniotsai/index.html was posted in the above post, noticed bruce wei was mentioned in compliant 47. (i was just scanning too.) why would some one buy 5 defective guitars from the same person?

cheers

Cliff

SailingUke
02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
I've never seen any of his ukes, but I saw and played a mandolin, mandola and a guitar. The instruments were beautiful from a distance, but up close were less than desirable.
The mandolin played quite well and sounded good. The mandola did not play or look nearly as good, but had a rich tone. The guitar shaped like a mando was not at all good.
With the market today and ukes available I would not take a chance. If you can not get out of the deal, I would pay for the uke and not take delivery and lose the $35.
I have bought some great looking stick-ons (ebay) that look like inlays to dress up guitars and ukes. Buy a nice sounding uke and go crazy with the stick-ons to get fancy.

SailorQwest
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
We got a couple of Bruce Wei Ukes. Very nice looking not a great sound but not a ripoff. Good for wall hanging

jdogface
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I once ordered one that had a very pretty inlay on the fretboard. It was pretty nice..., for about two months. then the neck started warping making it unplayable (could have been my fault though, I didn't know about humidity and ukes back then, I may have let it get too dry.) On a good note, I think I can remove the fret board and level out the neck...(maybe)
I wish you luck, sometimes ordering from unknown companies is like a crap shoot, it may be bad, or you may get a work of art that plays as good as it looks for cheap. (just don't let it dry out, regardless)

Gaby
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Had a customer in the shop once with a guitar from this seller and it was the dullest, heaviest instrument I have ever seen. Covered in a thick layer of lacquer. But then, I have seen some ukes like this that weren't all that bad (as long as I don't have to play them). I bought some bridge pins of this guy and my issue with those was that the sizes were all over the place.

If it sounds to good to be true...it usually is.

clayton56
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM
if their luthier skills are anything like their English skills, you're in trouble...

ok, that was a joke. Just go with it - have fun with it. If it breaks, fix it yourself and learn more about ukes.

But if you want out:

I believe you should deal fairly with the seller rather than stiff him somehow. Be nice. Ask him to offer it to the next lowest bidder on your behalf, or sell it for you and you'll pay the difference.

Nichod
02-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Maybe you should PM dino from that thread and see how his turned out? I was looking at those myself at one point...but couldn't stomach paying $85 for shipping!

Ukuleleblues
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
One of my criteria for buying off of E-bay is the shipping. If the shipping is out of line I don't buy as they are putting their reserve in the shipping. BTY I hope you get a nice sounding uke. Let us know.