String suggestions wanted for vintage Martin

R

RyanMFT

Hey Everyone,
I am the very lucky owner of several vintage ukes. I have strung them all with Aquilla's, which I love on every uke but my Martin soprano. The sound is EXTREMELY bright and somewhat harsh....almost banjo like. Those same strings sound great on my Favilla, but the sound of the Martin is causing me not to play it as much.....

So, what strings are you running on your vintage Martin, or what would you suggest?

Thanks!
Ryan

Last edited:
I have a 30's Martin style 1 and I use Martin strings. I use the M600 nylon. They don't make them anymore I have a couple old sets. If I didn't have those I would use the new Martin fluorocarbon strings. I have the new ones on my SO and I like them.

I use Worth Clears on my 50's Martin Style 0. I think they have a sweet sound while retaining the bark the Martin should have. Also, the Worths are just nice to play. I have them on most of my ukes.

If you aren't playing it much, just send it to me... :)

I like Aquilas on all of my ukes except the old Martins. On those I like the Worth CD set which are high tension clear flourocarbons. The new Martin flourocarbons are nice too but they have a lower tension.

- Steve

Thank you for these thougths and suggestions, it is very helpful!

Pdxuke.....it's in the mail brother....hang out by the mailbox.... :)

DaKine Line makes the identical fluorocarbon strings as Worth. The tone is wonderful and they stay in tune for a very long time. I used to use aquila's for everything, but we've now converted all our 'ukuleles to the DaKine Line strings.

Elaine
www.kani-ka-pila.com

Top Bottom