nasally voice...

mtiuseco

Reaction score
Hey there, I was wondering, how do you get rid of a nasally voice when you sing, because usually me and my homie try to get in songs, and he's not a too great of a singer so he makes me sing. but when i rewatch the videos it sounds as if i have like a stuffy nose or something... could anyone help me with that?

You may be singing more from your throat than from your chest and diaphragm.

Try to sing from your chest and breath using your diaphragm. You will produce more volume and your voice will also be more rich sounding. It also helps to sit upright when you sing (or stand) and not be slumped.

As an exercise for singing and breathing from the chest and diaphragm, lie down on the ground (a firm but comfortable surface) your back and inhale. You should feel your stomach rise a little. Now push the air out and sing an "ahhhhh". You should feel your voice come more from your chest.

I was at a workshop with a well-known voice teacher and he talked about this. Try dropping your tongue, but keep it just behind the teeth. So, you will be dropping the middle - back of tongue. When you do this, if you place your finger on your adams apple, it should drop down quite a bit. Breathe from your diaphragm as mentioned above and you should see some improvement. You may have to train yourself a bit, but it should help. Understanding the difference between your chest, middle and head voices will help too. good luck!

I struggle with this all the time! I find that when I exaggerate vowels vertically in my mouth, I tend to open up and relax more. For instance, in one of my songs I had to sing the word "job"...it kept sounding like "jaahb"...so I forced myself to open my mouth more 'up and down' and it came out "jowwb". While it looks stupid in writing, it fixed the nasally sound because I was physically 'rounding out' the sound.

Now if only that would help that my normal nasally speaking voice... :)

are you sure its not just cuz your from chiCAAAAAAAGo?

You may be singing more from your throat than from your chest and diaphragm.

Try to sing from your chest and breath using your diaphragm. You will produce more volume and your voice will also be more rich sounding. It also helps to sit upright when you sing (or stand) and not be slumped.

As an exercise for singing and breathing from the chest and diaphragm, lie down on the ground (a firm but comfortable surface) your back and inhale. You should feel your stomach rise a little. Now push the air out and sing an "ahhhhh". You should feel your voice come more from your chest.

Activate the OTHER part in other words...a good exercise is shared here.

Have less of a sense of "singing" especially where vowelization leads to nasalization and practice almost "telling" "speaking" vs this overwrought sense of really trying.

Hey there, I was wondering, how do you get rid of a nasally voice when you sing, because usually me and my homie try to get in songs, and he's not a too great of a singer so he makes me sing. but when i rewatch the videos it sounds as if i have like a stuffy nose or something... could anyone help me with that?

Hey if you can't sing like me, I grab the uke with the Aquilla's and drown out my voice..he he...only kidding.

Last edited:
I have a 'Dylanesque' voice,and am frequently told that I
cannot sing! But I enjoy what I do,and like playing an
instrument,the only thing I have found that helps is to
PRACTICE! I can sing in tune,in the correct key and make
the tune recognisable;there comes a point where it comes
to 'you can't sing' or 'you have a style all of your own'!
Think of many popular singers over the years;Some hold
that Frank Sinatra was always slightly off - key! Same for
Diana Ross.Dylan and Tom Waits are generally held to be
'poor singers' purely on a TECHNICAL LEVEL! Okay,they
ain't Pavarotti,but if you're singing along with a ukulele,
I don't reckon you need to be! Just relax and enjoy it!

I struggle with this all the time! I find that when I exaggerate vowels vertically in my mouth, I tend to open up and relax more. For instance, in one of my songs I had to sing the word "job"...it kept sounding like "jaahb"...so I forced myself to open my mouth more 'up and down' and it came out "jowwb". While it looks stupid in writing, it fixed the nasally sound because I was physically 'rounding out' the sound.
Don't know if this applies, but in choir we were taught to emphasize the vowels, like for the word "glory" you'd sing it as "glow-ree" (like "glow little glow worm") instead of "glore-ee" (like story).

good posture, tall/exaggerated vowels, structured breathing (breathing deeply from your stomach), and confidence ^_^

Relaxation is the key. Try preparing by "belly breathing" before singing. This is how...

Inhale slowly counting to nine while pushing out your stomach. Hold for four counts. Exhale slowly drawing in your stomach for nine counts. Hold for four counts. Repeat this for several minutes and then try singing.

"Belly Breathing" is used in martial arts to relax. It causes beta-endorphine to be released in the body causing muscles to relax. This brings oxygen-rich blood to every part of the body, relaxes all muscles and sharpens the mind at the same time. You can use it to lower your heart-rate, enhance visualization practice, and a lot more.

Lift your soft palate when singing!
practice singing, "kay kay kay" Koh koh koh etc.
your soft palate will lift for the "K" consonant

open your mouth, look in mirror, and pull up on soft palate,
the little "boxing bag" Uvula will lift w/ the soft palate

you can also run your finger from front to back over the top of your mouth, hard palate is the roof of the mouth
soft palate is just behind that

another way to lift it is to imagine that you are smiling w/ the back of the mouth, which lifts the SP too

Your body (diaphragm, throat, mouth and nasal passages) is an acoustic cavity. So when you sing you must open up your sound hole (mouth), support the vibrations of your vocal cords by breathing and pushing your breath from the diaphragm and keeping your shoulders more in a backward position. Otherwise the sound goes out through your nose, volume and resonance get pinched off by poor posture and not using the diaphragm.

I liked what bongo fury suggested. I tried it and found I sound the same either plugged up or not, because I sing from the diaphragm.
Regardless I see this a lot with a friend of mine who has lost all his teeth and is embarrassed about showing his gums. So he tries to sing with his mouth closed as much as possible and the sound that results is reedy and very nasally. He's learning... and getting better.

"Now if only that would help my normal nasally speaking voice..."

I had a community college theater teacher make us do Elocution drills with our mouths filled with marsh mallows. (or erasers) It forced us to concentrate on the enunciation of the words. I've heard that some actors have actually changed the timbre of their voices by doing these drills.

I ended up using the erasers because I kept drooling too much with the marsh mallows. :D ha ha ha.... "Classy"

What everybody else said is spot on.
(except maybe the drooling marshmallows ;-)

Also,
Keep your head and chin down; especially on the high notes.
That will keep your throat relaxed and may increase your upper range.

Top Bottom