Worth Browns v. Clears

itsme

Reaction score
Since I can't find my original thread where I mentioned this...

My Cordoba tenor came with Aquilas, wanted to try Worth Clears but all MGM had was Browns at the time so I bought them. Had the Browns on for ~2-1/2 mos. then replaced them with Clears. I thought they sounded great at the time.

After another 2-1/2 mos. the Clears were sounding rather dull so I put the old Browns back on tonight.

All I gotta say is the (used) Browns sound awesome in comparison!

YMMV, and I still have the other unused half of each set, but if and when it comes down to needing to buy more strings, I think I'll go for the Browns. :)

I'm with ya. Worth Browns are my favorites. When traveling I use aquilas for the bark ;)

How do worth browns compare to daddarios pro artes? I think I might try them to see what they're like.

Clears are not in this video. But I came across an interesting comparison of different string types on the same Uke. It really shows how significant strings are to the final sound of your Uke.

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSgV6POe9nI

Compares:
- Galli strings
- Aquila genuine gut
- Worth (brown, medium)
- Uke 24 Excellence
- Aquila nylgut

To me the Worth Browns and Aquila genuine gut sounded the best!

I have not tried the clears but I have Medium BrownS (low G) on one of my ukes right now and really like the sound I am getting out of the instrument.

Last edited:
I have not tried the clears but I have Medium Brown (low G) on on eof my ukes right now and really like the sound I am getting out of the instrument.

Browns seem to have a more of a mellow tone while still retaining some of that bright pluckyness...

I have browns on my kala smhc for a great mellow sound and aquila on my mainland tenor for the bright grunty sound

Interesting - I seem to have had the opposite experience. I tried some Browns, and found them incredibly dead and dull - I had to take them off and go back to Clears, which to my ears are much more lively and pure-sounding.

I kind of like the clears, they seem easier on the fingers, I like the browns too. I have some clears on my KoAloha 6-string and they sound great !

I use both Worth clears and Worth browns, just on different instruments.

I had tried the Worth BT strings on both of my tenor ukuleles, and it sounded sort of dead to me, so I switched and now have one of my tenors permanently strung with Worth clears. On the other hand, my pineapple came with the Worth clears on it, and it sounded pretty good, but I switched over to some Worth brown lights, and I loved the sound. It sounded very crisp, and I much prefer the feel of the lights on my fingers. I put some new Worth clears on it to see if it was because the others had been old, and nope, the Worth brown lights were much more to my liking.

So the moral of the story (mine, anyway) is different strings for different ukes. I now will only use BL strings on the KoAloha, and CT (usually low g since my other tenor is High G) on the Kanile'a.

wickedwahine11 brings up a good point: different strings sound good on different ukes. I love Aquilas on my Flea, but didn't dig them on my Fluke. I love Worth Clears on my Fluke, but wasn't knocked out by them on my Flea - they sounded decent, but the Aquilas sounded better, for the way I play. But the only way to have found that out was to try each type of string.

The nice thing is, strings aren't expensive, they last pretty long, and they don't take up much space, so it's fun to buy lots of different types and experiment!

How do worth browns compare to daddarios pro artes? I think I might try them to see what they're like.

I'd give it a shot. Diaddarios seemed really dull and soft spoken on my honu, I threw on some worth clears and it just came alive. The volume went way up, and there was a crispness and a sustain that wasn't there with the pro artes. I have worth browns on my mainland mahogany concert, and it gives it a wonderfully mellow tone. The clears are a bit brighter, and I think I like them a bit more, but just a bit.

Top Bottom