should i break my one take youtube policy?

raecarter

Reaction score
Hey I've just recorded empire state of mind by Alicia keys and my voice is straining and breaks in one part. My question is should my policy on only doing one take include ones where I should have maybe I should have chose a lower key. Your opinions would be helpful

Lol krabbers but I would know! I think I'm gonna post it warts and all because I'm not going for perfection I'm going for feeling

Do what you want. Why have a rule at all? :)

Do another take and see if your conscience will allow you to post it. If not, post the flawed one.

Perfection is dull.

At least if you only do one take, WMG won't get much when they take it down.

I have never done a one take YT vid, and as bad as my multiple takes are, they might ban me from YT, if I did.

I agree with Rick et al - why have a rule at all?

Thats right jcm but im happy with crappy covers as long as people enjoy watching/listening to it

I don't post videos of myself on youtube, so I really don't have much to say about the subject, but I must say I like the idea of the one take rule. When I read the topic my first thought was "NO!" A one take rule adds some charm and uniqueness to a channel, and it adds the possibility for some flaws, but that is not important imho.

Anyway, keep the rule if you like the rule. I like the idea of the rule. And say go screw yourself to anyone posting a shitty comment about a crack in the voice. They are douchebags anyway.

Rae, I cant do too many takes. I just start screwing up worse. If I dont get it in a few, I come back to it later.
also,, if I played any of my songs from my vids, sitting right in front ofyou.,, Im sure I would make a mistake at some point , so I what the heck, Playing live , the mistake goes by & for the most part is forgot,
but do what feels right to you, just my 2 cents
Steve

I have people for and people against now i don't have time to upload it now so may record it 2 steps lower then do that in one take because technically I haven't broken my rule I've just done a new version in a more appropriate key

I think of first takes the same way I do sight reading. When I was in high school, I was a pretty good trumpet player. I took lessons and my teacher made me do a lot of sight reading each week. I got really good at sight reading, but the performance still improved the more I played the song. Of course we are talking about YouTube vids here lol.

You have my permission to violate the policy. Good luck.

Rae, I cant do too many takes. I just start screwing up worse. If I dont get it in a few, I come back to it later.
also,, if I played any of my songs from my vids, sitting right in front ofyou.,, Im sure I would make a mistake at some point , so I what the heck, Playing live , the mistake goes by & for the most part is forgot,
but do what feels right to you, just my 2 cents
Steve

That's how I feel too. It's like playing live. When I do a video, if I make a mistake or two during it, I watch it afterwards. If it wasn't too bad or too noticeable, and I got the feeling right and all the rest was right, then it goes up on my channel the way it is--the heck with it! I never am able to get a song in one take though. I always have mess-ups right at the beginning of every song, so there are usually a few false starts. But after I'm into it? I finish the song, take a look, and make a judgment call then. :)

Top Bottom