Why do you post YouTube videos?

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
I have often wondered why people post videos on YouTube (or any other video posting place), especially those of us who can't really play or sing. It would be interesting to hear why you guys post em.

As for me, I guess I like the praise I sometimes get, even though I know people are just being diplomatic. I also post comparison videos just to help people out trying to pick an instrument, just as people helped me out. Mostly, I post because my biggest fan (my mom) begs me to post them. Since she lives 300 miles away, its one the ways she gets to see me more.

Posting also makes me work on songs harder than I do when I am just singing and playing for myself. I am about 50 takes away from being a 1 take poster.

For me , I mostly play by myself. So if I didnt ever have the expectation of somebody hearing what I play,, well ,there would be little incentive to try to improve.
Its fun to try stuff out & get some feedback. Trying to figure out ,,is this ok,, or is this horrible.
and all the 3 mentioned in the previous post
Steve

In a year I think I've made 4 videos. I do it if the occasion presents itself. My first one was Elephant Town. Everyone should make one. I did a contest and a birthday video for a very good friend. And I had to put one up of the Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra performing. I wish I was good at them.

• It's the thing to do.
  • To track my progress.
  • It's fun.
I agree 100%. Although, lately I haven't picked up m uke and really don't have the feeling inside to want to. I guess it just comes in waves.

Actually, people here kept asking me to do it! Kinda like a "put up or shut up" thing, because I'd been shooting my mouth off when I first got here, but also because people here have a genuine love and interest in the uke. Plus like what SailQuest said, my family in Texas can keep track of me, musically speaking.

• It's the thing to do.
  • To track my progress.
  • It's fun.

Yup. Although in this case, I'm sorta tracking my voice progress. Wow, I had almost no breath control when I started last September--I had not sung for years! I'll never have great lung power, but I think I'm somewhat better now than five months ago!

But yeah, it's fun and it's the thing to do. :)

Oh yeah, also the farther-flung members of my family get to see what I *look* like once in a while. ::grin:: And it's good to get feedback. And...if I can bring a little happiness to someone, then that's the best part. :)

CountryMouse

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time "messing around" on the uke. For me, making the vid is about committing to learning the song. I look at a lot of tunes, learn this one 50%, that one 80%, but I don't know too many songs from beginning to end. So making the vid is about documenting that moment in time when I actually got all the way through the song the way I meant to play it. Or close enough . . .

It's also like my own tutorial if I later forget how I'd played a particular song.

Posting the vid is about being social, which is, you know, "the thing to do" and "fun."

It's performance... Why does anyone perform? For me, it's a virtual open-mic venue.

I practice, improve, and get feedback via youtube. I also enjoy the folks I've met through youtube and like to share music with them... pretty much like an open mic, only bigger.

So my grand kids can laugh at how young their Grampa looked in 2008.

And to embarrass my Kids.

:)

I like Deach's answer, but this one is true too! Haha. I am definitely known around here as "the weird mom," but somehow, also "the cool mom" too. I am okay with this.

I'm supposed to be playing and sharing music.
It's fun.
It keeps me working. I'm uploading 2 videos right now. January was a bad month and February wasn't much better. I made a commitment to post at least one video per week and I hope today will get me back on track.

Regards,
Ray

I've only posted a few videos myself, but I think making a video (whether you post it or not) is a great self-teaching tool. It forces you to learn a song well, and you can learn a lot by watching yourself play afterward and see all kinds of things that can be improved upon.

But I just LOVE the fact that so many UU'ers post videos... I've learned tons from watching everyone else, and it give me lots of ideas and inspiration for my own uke playing... so keep those videos coming, everyone!! It's a wonderful thing that so many people are sharing their music!

I don't plan on making any videos, but I sure am glad that others do. Keep up the good work - I learn by your examples. Sometimes it is easier to learn from another beginner. Even if skill and talent aren't prerequisites, I lack confidence...and a camera.
:eek:)

It is a good way to judge how much you have improved over a certain time. I enjoy it. My friends enjoy me doing it. Nice thoughts make me feel warm and snuggly inside. Equally negative/constructive critism helps me improve.

Top Bottom