Question about Koa wood

lefty dan

Reaction score
Im thinking about doing a build in Koa wood. Im new to building and have never used Koa. In the past if I broke a side Id be bummed. Koa is so expensive Id really be bummed if I ruined a side. . Can anyone that has worked with Koa tell me about it as far as , how easy does it bend compared to walnut or mahogany. How does it sand. and anything else. It would be a big purchase to buy Koa but I would like to experience building with it.

Thanks
Dan

Dan, I think you will find that koa is easy to work with. It bends easier than mahogany. That being said, any highly figured wood can be problematic, and koa is no exception. If bending it by hand, do not soak the wood, just mist it with a plant sprayer right before bending and repeat as necessary during the process. It is always best to use a sheet metal backer behind the wood while bending. I just bent a set of sides for a Jonah Kamalae style uke with a sharp bend at the waist with no problem. I would recommend that you start with some plain to lightly figured koa to start with to get a feel of the wood. Good luck.

Brad

Brad thanks for the info.
I should mention my bender is home made. It is the fox bender type using two light bulbs for a heat source. No heat blanket is used. I dont want to buy or make something different if possible. So far Ive only bent mahogany and walnut.
Dan

Top Bottom