PDA

View Full Version : ebay , excessive shipping is not accepted by ebay

Swampy Steve
02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Ok, I just started a different thread dealing with , the Vietnamese uke I "won" off ebay yesterday.
I thought about it & had decided to pay for the uke , but not for shipping. Figuring my integrity is worth more than 35.oo.
Called ebay this morn.
The words from their mouth were helpful
They told me that seller has put what THEY consider a excessive shipping charge. In this case 85.00

I told them I was willing to pay for the item,, they said do not.
Their instruction was ,,to send the seller a request to cancel order. If he agrees fine. If not he can file a complaint on me.
Which the ebay person said they would remove because this item had the excessive shipping charge. They said if I paid for the uke &not shipping I would violate , because I had not entirely paid for item.

The reason I posted this is we DO have recourse,,,, in this case It was my fault , but Im sure some of you have had problems , that were not your fault

SweetWaterBlue
02-25-2010, 04:36 AM
I admit I haven't checked lately, but ebay used to have many less than reputable sellers that set very low prices on their items, then try to make it up with shipping. I mostly used to notice it on small cheap items like cell phone batteries, or cases. I think you are wise to move on when you see one like that.

raecarter
02-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Wow that's a lot. can they close down sellers who are clearly trying to con people

Skitzic
02-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Hm. I didn't realize eBay would side with the customer so quickly.

I'm glad it's all getting sorted out.

leftovermagic84
02-25-2010, 04:49 AM
I admit I haven't checked lately, but ebay used to have many less than reputable sellers that set very low prices on their items, then try to make it up with shipping....

They do it for two reasons. First, Ebay doesn't take % fees out of shipping cost, a $1 item with a $20 shipping gets ebay a cut of $1, not $21. Second, if there is a problem and you need to return the item, only the cost of the item is refunded, not the shipping, so not only would you have to ship the item back, you'd only get $1 back, while they still pocket the $20. To be honest, ebay only cares because of the first reason, because it takes money out of their pocket, but because of it, they can be pretty fierce about enforcing it.

SweetWaterBlue
02-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Slightly OT, but another favorite con on eBay is the shill bidder. That's a bidder the seller has bid up the price of the item. Ebay claims they closely monitor bids from the same IP as the seller, but it doesn't prevent them from asking a friend to bid it up. Often shill bidders will have only 1 or 2 recommendations. Ebay claims they also monitor bidders who are always withdrawing bids, and never buying anything to prevent this, but its still important to not get caught up in a bidding war with a shill. I can't stand eBays new policy of concealing the bidder's screen name, since I think it makes shill bidding more likely.

dentuke
02-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Yup.... I've seen some things sell for 2.99 with a 24.00 shipping charge from Hong Kong!!!!!!!

Skitzic
02-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Slightly OT, but another favorite con on eBay is the shill bidder. That's a bidder the seller has bid up the price of the item. Ebay claims they closely monitor bids from the same IP as the seller, but it doesn't prevent them from asking a friend to bid it up. Often shill bidders will have only 1 or 2 recommendations. Ebay claims they also monitor bidders who are always withdrawing bids, and never buying anything to prevent this, but its still important to not get caught up in a bidding war with a shill. I can't stand eBays new policy of concealing the bidder's screen name, since I think it makes shill bidding more likely.

I agree with you. I think it's crap. I mean, I see why they're doing it, but fake bidders bother me more.

leftovermagic84
02-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Slightly OT, but another favorite con on eBay is the shill bidder. That's a bidder the seller has bid up the price of the item....

This is the reason why I snipe. I know it's tacky, and buyers and other sellers alike hate it, but the fact of the matter is, that way nobody has time to react and bump a shill bid. I put in the maximum I'm willing to pay with about 20 seconds left on the auction. If I win, great, if not, somebody else wanted it more and that's fine, because now I can't be impulsive and outbid them when it's more than I'm willing to pay. Quite frankly sniping wouldn't work if people didn't put in shill bids to bump their own stuff, and if everybody could resist the temptation to bid out of competition.

Skitzic
02-25-2010, 05:04 AM
This is the reason why I snipe.

The last few items I've tried to snipe have all left me empty handed. I thought it was karma telling me not to do it...

SweetWaterBlue
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM
This is the reason why I snipe. I know it's tacky, and buyers and other sellers alike hate it, but the fact of the matter is, that way nobody has time to react and bump a shill bid. I put in the maximum I'm willing to pay with about 20 seconds left on the auction. If I win, great, if not, somebody else wanted it more and that's fine, because now I can't be impulsive and outbid them when it's more than I'm willing to pay. Quite frankly sniping wouldn't work if people didn't put in shill bids to bump their own stuff, and if everybody could resist the temptation to bid out of competition.

I agree with you on the sniping. That is the way I usually do it, but I have also done it the traditional way, usually when I haven't bought anything in a while and don't have time (or am too lazy) to find or remember how to use my sniping program.

Swampy Steve
02-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Is there really a sniping program,, or you pulling my leg? Seems I usually end up losing ,, by just a small amount. maybe I need some educating here..

SweetWaterBlue
02-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Is there really a sniping program,, or you pulling my leg? Seems I usually end up losing ,, by just a small amount. maybe I need some educating here..

There are many. Some are free, some are not. Many of the free ones reside on your computer waiting to bid, some reside on servers (usually those cost money to use).If you use one of the free ones on your computer, its important to leave your computer on and synchronize your clock, since most successful snipes come in the last 30 seconds or less.

leftovermagic84
02-25-2010, 05:21 AM

yup, I use jbidwatcher (http://www.jbidwatcher.com/). It takes a little bit to get it set up just right, but as long as your computer is on, it will place the snipe automatically for you so you don't have to sit around and wait for it, plus its free. There are also websites that will do it for you, but most of them cost money to use, and I can't quite get the courage to give them my ebay logon and password. I've had great luck with jbidwatcher once I finally figured it out though.

Skitzic
02-25-2010, 05:23 AM
I didn't know there were snipe programs. I only snipe if I really, really want something...and usually I want to know right away if I won or not so I don't mind waiting.

SweetWaterBlue
02-25-2010, 05:27 AM
I also have used this one with success:

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/

Skitzic
02-25-2010, 05:33 AM
...why couldn't this thread have popped up on Monday? I may have won that cow print Fluke with this jbidwatcher!!!

Dino
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Ok, I just started a different thread dealing with , the Vietnamese uke I "won" off ebay yesterday.
I thought about it & had decided to pay for the uke , but not for shipping. Figuring my integrity is worth more than 35.oo.
Called ebay this morn.
The words from their mouth were helpful
They told me that seller has put what THEY consider a excessive shipping charge. In this case 85.00

I told them I was willing to pay for the item,, they said do not.
Their instruction was ,,to send the seller a request to cancel order. If he agrees fine. If not he can file a complaint on me.
Which the ebay person said they would remove because this item had the excessive shipping charge. They said if I paid for the uke &not shipping I would violate , because I had not entirely paid for item.

The reason I posted this is we DO have recourse,,,, in this case It was my fault , but Im sure some of you have had problems , that were not your fault

Do you mind if I ask what is the name of the seller of the item you were bidding on? I had recently bid and won an ukulele from Vietnam. The shipping cost of $85.00 was clearly stated. I got the ukulele I was bidding on for $65.00. Hence....$150.00 for the ukulele. The reason I bought the ukulele in the first place to was see if I could squash any skeptisism by people giving opinions about this sellers items. I admittingly was taking a chance not really knowing what I would get, if what was posted was what I was going to get, how it was built or how it sounded. I just felt it wasnt fair for people to bash this seller without even knowing, but I figured that if I got something junk, then everyone would know the truth. On the other hand, if I got something that was good and on the up & up, GREAT. Long story short, the item I had bid on was exactly as shown. It was built very well. Very reminiscent of a Kala built ukulele. If you were to put up a $150 Kala or Lanikai against this Vietnam ukulele, I honestly would pick the Vietnam uke. It had nice inlays, aquilla strings, the action was good with no buzzing and this particular uke had a bridge where the strings tied on the inside of the body. $85.00 shipping from Vietnam may seem a little high, but hey....the auction did start at like $0.99. Would of been even greater if I won it for $85.99 but that hardly ever happens. In auctions, it basically, it comes down to total price. I kind of laugh when I tell everyone that the shipping was more than the item but hey, it came from HO CHI MEIN city. I have never tried to ship something that far before so I can't say if its extremly high or not. Would you have felt better of the auction ended at $85.00 and the shipping was $35.00? Again, if we were dealing with the same seller, $125 for one of his ukulele would of been a great deal.

paraclete
02-25-2010, 06:51 AM
FWIW, years ago, my father shipped a small package to the Philippines. I believe the cost was $70 or $75 for a box considerably smaller than a uke box and prolly not much heavier. It was put on a ship and took weeks. I don't know what the shipping rate is now, but $85 does not seem completely unrealistic for something coming from SE Asia. It seems to me that a lot of things I've seen coming out of Vietnam (not on eBay) have a high shipping cost.

However, because it's not a big company, like Kala, I would be concerned that quality could vary a lot. I've looked at some supposed "luthier-built" ukes coming out of Vietnam and the Philippines. The shipping cost has always kept me from proceeding, since I have no way of verifying quality and I don't have the luxury of buying something just to see what it's like. Of course, if I ever go to the Philippines to see my dad, the local ukes are prolly the first thing I'll check out.

Interstellar
02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I bought a ukulele from Vietnam in December - it's most likely from the same Ebayer you committed to yesterday. The difference is my brother lives in HMC and I asked the seller if he could go by the factory to select and buy my uke. He agreed and my brother ended up buying three ukes from him (of course he got the better of three - brothers!). He was not allowed into the factory itself (common practice in Asia) but he could tell this operation does more than their own little EBAY business - read you may already own a uke built by them. Bruce Wei is the seller.

The tenor I got is sold koa and has some very nice inlay. The neck is a little thick which make it heavier than my other but it has a great tone. Overall it is a very well built uke.

Personally, I would pay for the auction as agreed to. I think you will fine the uke to be as advertised and worth the overall cost.

Swampy Steve
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Do you mind if I ask what is the name of the seller of the item you were bidding on? I had recently bid and won an ukulele from Vietnam. The shipping cost of $85.00 was clearly stated. I got the ukulele I was bidding on for $65.00. Hence....$150.00 for the ukulele. The reason I bought the ukulele in the first place to was see if I could squash any skeptisism by people giving opinions about this sellers items. I admittingly was taking a chance not really knowing what I would get, if what was posted was what I was going to get, how it was built or how it sounded. I just felt it wasnt fair for people to bash this seller without even knowing, but I figured that if I got something junk, then everyone would know the truth. On the other hand, if I got something that was good and on the up & up, GREAT. Long story short, the item I had bid on was exactly as shown. It was built very well. Very reminiscent of a Kala built ukulele. If you were to put up a $150 Kala or Lanikai against this Vietnam ukulele, I honestly would pick the Vietnam uke. It had nice inlays, aquilla strings, the action was good with no buzzing and this particular uke had a bridge where the strings tied on the inside of the body. $85.00 shipping from Vietnam may seem a little high, but hey....the auction did start at like $0.99. Would of been even greater if I won it for $85.99 but that hardly ever happens. In auctions, it basically, it comes down to total price. I kind of laugh when I tell everyone that the shipping was more than the item but hey, it came from HO CHI MEIN city. I have never tried to ship something that far before so I can't say if its extremly high or not. Would you have felt better of the auction ended at $85.00 and the shipping was $35.00? Again, if we were dealing with the same seller, $125 for one of his ukulele would of been a great deal.

I never would have gone to 85.00 From re- reading my original thread , lots of folks have had problems. Im glad yall got good ukes. But it seems many are not. If offering to pay for a uke ,isnt enough for the seller,I dont know.
When I sell something,, I base shipping on what is actual,, not to make money off shipping , so something wrong here.

cornfedgroove
02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
ya, I simply refuse to pay for items that aren't reasonable. People are just trying to screw both you and ebay over...I'm not really into that kind of "business"

Interstellar
02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I just ran a comp international shipping rate on USPS.gov and it came up at $41.50...fedex international saver (VM to California) is $75. Not sure how it would have been shipped it - either he is making $40 off the shipping or is making $5 less the cost of the packaging.

Hope you get out of the bid.

Best of luck.

Ukuleleblues
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
They do it for two reasons. First, Ebay doesn't take % fees out of shipping cost, a $1 item with a $20 shipping gets ebay a cut of $1, not $21. Second, if there is a problem and you need to return the item, only the cost of the item is refunded, not the shipping, so not only would you have to ship the item back, you'd only get $1 back, while they still pocket the $20. To be honest, ebay only cares because of the first reason, because it takes money out of their pocket, but because of it, they can be pretty fierce about enforcing it.

You are a worse cynic than me :cool: but dead on and 100% correct. I was wondering what the high shipping scam was all about but hadn't figured it out like you. THANKS

fhorndog
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
good sniper program.... http://www.ezsniper.com They charge a small fee. But it works well!

heymelbs
02-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I've seen 20 dollar items at $1 for the auction, and $19.95 for shipping - sad!!!

MGM
02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Shipping rates can be confusing... I ship most everything 2nd day air to the states...If you go to UPS and calculate a typical 12 x 12 x 3o box that i send ukes in with average 8 pound rate from Kaneohe to east coast heres the rate. I sually charge 18.95 or ship free.. you do the math lol

Guaranteed By Total
UPS 2nd Day Air® 6:00 P.M.
Thursday
February 25, 2010
By End of Day,
Saturday
February 27, 2010 83.06 USD*

Days In Transit: Saturday Schedule by
5:00 P.M.
Thursday
February 25, 2010 Billable Weight:
23.0 lbs.
UPS 2nd Day Air® 6:00 P.M.
Thursday
February 25, 2010
By End of Day,
Monday
March 1, 2010 67.08 USD*

Days In Transit: 2 Schedule by
Thursday
23.0 lbs.
UPS Ground 6:00 P.M.
Thursday
February 25, 2010
By End of Day,
Thursday
March 4, 2010 27.41 USD*

Days In Transit: 5 Schedule by
Thursday
8.0 lbs.
UPS Express Critical
Our same-day service provides U.S. customers with reliable delivery of urgent shipments to every U.S. address and more than 180 countries worldwide. Get a UPS Express Critical Quote

Result estimates calculated by UPS: Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:42 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)

* Rate includes a fuel surcharge .

* Based on Flight Availability. Not available at UPS Retail Locations. Please visit UPS Express Critical for rates and additional details.

Shipment Information Shipment Details
Ship To: 23454, UNITED STATES Ship From: 96744, UNITED STATES Shipment Date: Thursday, February 25, 2010 Total Shipment Weight: 8 lbs. Daily Pickup? No Drop-off / Pickup? I will pay shipping charges and ship my package at a retail location such as The UPS Store® or UPS Customer Center
Rates may vary at retail locations. Origin Type: Commercial Destination Type: Residential Number of Packages: 1 Package Details Package DetailsPackage Actual Weight Dimensions / Packaging Declared Value Notices
1 8 lbs. 12 x 12 x 30 in. /
My Packaging 200 USD Dimensional Weight applies

*10KG and 25KG packaging and rates are not available at The UPS Store or UPS Customer Center locations.
Next StepsNext Steps
Modify Shipment Information
Get Another Rate Quote

Guarantees and NoticesSubject to the Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service, UPS guarantees on-schedule delivery of packages shipped via UPS's services listed as guaranteed, or will refund your transportation charges. Guaranteed Service is not available in all locations and scheduled business days and delivery schedules are revised occasionally due to changes in distribution and volume. Service to some remote areas also may require additional delivery days. For current delivery schedules, service availability and information, and a description of the UPS Service Guarantee, see the UPS Rate and Service Guide. Certain commodities and high value shipments may require additional transit time for customs clearance.

Rates are estimates only based on Prepaid service.

Please Note: Shipping rates quoted are estimates based on the information you have supplied. Shipping rates quoted do not include duties, taxes or other non-routine customs brokerage charges. Other shipping charges, surcharges or accessorial charges also may apply. Your final shipping charge may differ based on your shipper characteristics and the characteristics of, and services requested for, packages actually tendered to UPS. Rates quoted here are based on UPS published rates. Please see the UPS Rate and Service Guide or the applicable service and rate guide in your jurisdiction for details. Rates and service may vary at retail locations.

clayton56
02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the shipping doesn't sound unreasonable to me, I ship sheet music all around the world and it's usually around $12 for less than a pound to the nether regions. Additional weight increments are quite expensive, unlike domestic. And the big airy box of the ukulele creates charges disproportional to the weight. I know a small uke is $50.00 just from Hawaii, and that's all US mail. So to cross international boundaries I'm not surprised if it's $70 or $80.

They sure aren't making it up on the price of the uke, plus, remember, Paypal takes a bite of all funds, shipping included, before the seller gets anything. Box, packaging, Vietmanese peanuts, there's not much left over for the poor luthier's rice bowl.

Teek
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Just agreeing with above two posters, I have shipped ukes which is a PITA, if it is over 32-33 inches, like a baritone in a case, it's $95.00 just within the US via USPS because of a lovely "balloon" fee they add on which doubles it. UPS is the same.

YES, eBay takes a cut of shipping now and so does PayPal! Selling a $20 item for $1 plus $19 shipping is still $20, so why the beef? But eBay wasn't getting enough money, so they have made it almost impossible to get actual out of pocket shipping charges back if you are a seller, and now they penalize you in search rankings if you don't offer free shipping, and that shipping HAS to include insurance and delivery confirmation! They tell the buyer (who often has no idea what anything other than a 1oz. first class envelope costs) to report excessive shipping, then tell the seller to add all shipping into the price of the item, which often makes the price unattractive. There are a lot of other problems and I have quit selling after 12 years because it's just ridiculous. The sellers paid the fees that put billions in eBay's pockets and and made it the commerce giant it is today, and buyers pay NO fees to buy and never will; eBay was built on the backs of many great sellers and eBay has decimated them, I love it when their stock tanks and I rather hope they immolate themselves. I had sold and bought since 1998 and I have had enough of eBay's agressive tactics and of ignorant buyers with inflated senses of entitlement, which is actually taught and encouraged by eBay. :p

casarole45
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Just agreeing with above two posters, I have shipped ukes which is a PITA, if it is over 32-33 inches, like a baritone in a case, it's $95.00 just within the US via USPS because of a lovely "balloon" fee they add on which doubles it. UPS is the same.

YES, eBay takes a cut of shipping now and so does PayPal! Selling a $20 item for $1 plus $19 shipping is still $20, so why the beef? But eBay wasn't getting enough money, so they have made it almost impossible to get actual out of pocket shipping charges back if you are a seller, and now they penalize you in search rankings if you don't offer free shipping, and that shipping HAS to include insurance and delivery confirmation! They tell the buyer (who often has no idea what anything other than a 1oz. first class envelope costs) to report excessive shipping, then tell the seller to add all shipping into the price of the item, which often makes the price unattractive. There are a lot of other problems and I have quit selling after 12 years because it's just ridiculous. The sellers paid the fees that put billions in eBay's pockets and and made it the commerce giant it is today, and buyers pay NO fees to buy and never will; eBay was built on the backs of many great sellers and eBay has decimated them, I love it when their stock tanks and I rather hope they immolate themselves. I had sold and bought since 1998 and I have had enough of eBay's agressive tactics and of ignorant buyers with inflated senses of entitlement, which is actually taught and encouraged by eBay. :p

Yep I came back to ebay not long ago and was very confused when I tried to sell CD's/DVD's it would not let me charge postage and packaging, meaning I would have to take that out of my profits and give them a cut. Just sold some more stuff, and they allowed me £1 this time... hmm that might pay for the envelope, I guess I'll fork the rest out for insured postage etc....

clayton56
02-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, they're starting to up the ante and impose a lot of little rules like that. I have a store, and can still charge shipping, but am going to have to discontinue it this spring because they are increasing listing fees by seven times. It is .03 cents to list an item and that's going up to .20 cents. Doesn't sound like much until you list 100 items like books or CDs, and only sell one a week or so. And prices have to be close to cost or nobody will buy. And I pay a monthly fee for the store plus all the usual final value fees.

I think it's still good for selling used stuff at garage sale prices, but it is getting tougher. And maybe it's just me, but it seems to take an excruciating amount of time when you use their online form to list.

SweetWaterBlue
02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
That's probably why I use Craigslist mostly now to sell things. The problem is that the local market for things like Ukuleles can be very small.

Swampy Steve
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I guess there are way more sides than I realized to this story. now Im second guessing, my second guessing.

Dino
02-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I guess there are way more sides than I realized to this story. now Im second guessing, my second guessing.

So are you considering still purchasing this uke? For $120, its a great deal. I wished i got mine for that price, but oh well. Still a good uke.

Paul December
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't ... why gamble $120 when you know you could get a good Kala, Lanikai, or Ohana for just a few more bucks?

Swampy Steve
03-02-2010, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't ... why gamble $120 when you know you could get a good Kala, Lanikai, or Ohana for just a few more bucks?
I wasnt 2nd guessing getting it. When I thought he was taking me, I had no problem using the ebay system to cancel order,, but when it seems he wasnt being unfair ,, now I feel like I have taken advantage of him. oh well I t was cancelled by him anyway.
i wasnt in this to rip the guy off

Paul December
03-02-2010, 06:54 AM
I wasnt 2nd guessing getting it. When I thought he was taking me, I had no problem using the ebay system to cancel order,, but when it seems he wasnt being unfair ,, now I feel like I have taken advantage of him. oh well I t was cancelled by him anyway.
i wasnt in this to rip the guy off

I wouldn't lose much sleep over even that part. IMO the high shipping isn't only to avoid paying eBay (I don't care about that part) ... but more importantly it is to keep the buyer from returning the instrument if-and-when it craps-out.

blueswithafeeling
03-02-2010, 09:52 AM
There should be no reason that sniping programs are better than eBay's own proxy bidding, and could actually easily be worse for you. Pick the maximum price you are willing to pay, enter it using eBay's proxy bidding and leave it alone! Things like sniping will only make you pay you more than you wanted to if you get caught up in a bidding war. The same applies for any buying in an auction setting, be it stocks, a house, your next ukulele . . .

leftovermagic84
03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
There should be no reason that sniping programs are better than eBay's own proxy bidding, and could actually easily be worse for you. Pick the maximum price you are willing to pay, enter it using eBay's proxy bidding and leave it alone! Things like sniping will only make you pay you more than you wanted to if you get caught up in a bidding war. The same applies for any buying in an auction setting, be it stocks, a house, your next ukulele . . .

Actually, it's the opposite of that. If you snipe, you have no chance to get caught up in a bidding war, because you only get one bid, and furthermore, it prevents competitors to get into a bidding war with you, because it prevents them from having time to find that their maximum proxy was out-bid and then raise again. Sniping would be worthless if everybody just entered the most they were willing to pay for the item, but since people get caught up in things, sniping takes out the human element of competition.

Proxy bidding is an attempt to replicate a traditional auction, where all potential buyers are present for the entire auction, by automatically re-bidding up to a maximum bid because the buyer will not always be present to do so in a week long online auction. In a traditional auction, you don't put in your maximum bid at first, because your bid is what you pay. If you are willing to pay $200 for an item, but there is nobody else to bid, you could have won the auction for the opening bid of $100, but now must pay $200. On ebay, if you put in 200, it will bid incrementally for you. The two are apples and oranges and can't really be compared.

blueswithafeeling
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Actually, it's the opposite of that. If you snipe, you have no chance to get caught up in a bidding war, because you only get one bid, and furthermore, it prevents competitors to get into a bidding war with you, because it prevents them from having time to find that their maximum proxy was out-bid and then raise again.

The point of "maximum bid" is exactly that - it should be the maximum you are willing to pay. So if you get outbid, and you now want to raise - it wasn't the maximum you were willing to pay and you should have put in the maximum (but more likely, you are caught up in the moment and are paying more than you wanted to when you were still thinking "rationally"). Since eBay instantaneously ups your bid if you are outbid at the current bid, you will unconditionally beat a sniper unless the sniper wants to pay more than your maximum bid. If the sniper wants to pay more than your maximum bid, more power to him/her - and you are better served hunting for another deal because hopefully this sniper is done buying the item at more than you are willing to pay!

http://ebay.about.com/od/buyingeffectivel1/a/_shp_sniping.htm

leftovermagic84
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I understand what you're saying, but you admit that there is a chance people stop thinking "rationally" because they get caught up. This is what sniping prevents, because there is no more time to think, or stop thinking for that matter. Yes, your maximum bid could still be higher than the snipe, but that prevents the sniper from bidding recklessly, and for that matter, it also keeps the price, and therefore the percieved value, lower until the very end of the auction.

blueswithafeeling
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I understand what you're saying, but you admit that there is a chance people stop thinking "rationally" because they get caught up. This is what sniping prevents, because there is no more time to think, or stop thinking for that matter. Yes, your maximum bid could still be higher than the snipe, but that prevents the sniper from bidding recklessly, and for that matter, it also keeps the price, and therefore the percieved value, lower until the very end of the auction.

How about putting your maximum bid near the snipe time :) - I think that would work out since your (less than your max) bid wouldn't be sitting out there as high bid tempting people to raise and re-raise. Near the end your maximum bid would beat most snipers who are just trying to beat the high bid by $1.00 or whatever unless the sniper actually puts in a higher max bid than you. I'm going to try that (I don't normally do auctions, but have a couple of things I want to acquire used right now).

SweetWaterBlue
03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I never liked eBay's "idea" to use the maximum bid early. I have seen too many auctions where it caused other bidders (some of them just tire kickers and lookey-loos) to keep biding up the price. When I snipe, I put my maximum price I am willing to pay in the snipe program at the beginning. No one knows what it is, or even that I am going to bid, until about 20 seconds or less before the auction is over, so it doesn't bring on the bidding wars from non-serious bidders. It still won't stop some people from needlessly biding it up, or putting in an "eBay" type high bid at the beginning, but nothing will stop that. I think eBay's idea will definitely feed the shill bidders more because they feel like they have time to withdraw their bids or have someone top it if they can uncover it early. Asking eBay to give you advice on bidding is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

leftovermagic84
03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
How about putting your maximum bid near the snipe time :).

exactly, you don't snipe at a buck over what the auction is, you snipe at what you're willing to pay and let ebay's automatic bidding sort it all out

blueswithafeeling
03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Just saw that happen on an auction for a mixer - the price jumped from 57.00 to 65.00 to 80 something in the last 5 seconds! I didn't play - I was watching to see if others do it and sure enough!