Grain filling blues ....ever use ?.....

Cateye

Reaction score
I've been running some tests on various pieces of wood, trying out different grain filling options. Not real happy with the results with paste fillers. Sort of dull and muddy looking. I've seen the videos on Youtube for using epoxy, and even one guy using dyed drywall joint compound!

Seems to me I read somewhere someone using thick CA glue. I searched the archive, finding some info in there but I'd like to hear what the pros here use and recommend for koa, rosewoods, mahogany, etc.
Thank you

Thanks Chuck,
No, not leaving it on the surface. Just notice it's not a very pleasing tone of color or sheen, even though it's only in the very small pores. I've tried Behlens, both water and solvent based, and don't care for the look of either of them much. Do you use epoxy for a "see through" look? Ever try CA?
Yogi

After several frustrating attempts at using Reranch grain filler on my homebuilt swamp ash tele style guitar I gave up and used epoxy. It worked out very well since it was a four piece body with an opaque nitro finish. I was very pleased with the results and relative ease of application.

Thanks Euchre,

I'm going to experiment with some Z-poxy I guess. I thought maybe it was one of Moore Bettah's posts where I read about using thick CA glue, but my memory fades. The paste stuff seems too opaque , the wrong color and is hard to work with, especially on the rather large open vessels in mahogany. Wondering if thick CA might be too brittle and how it might work under lacquer.

Top Bottom