Party uke songs?

bunnyflower

Reaction score
My singing group has been booked to perform at a "tropical party" in a couple of weeks, and they asked if I could do some uke songs while everyone is eating dinner. (My group is acappella, so it'd just be me singing with my uke for that portion.)

I have a book I put together of songs I like to do, but does anyone here have ideas for popular requests of songs? A list of things you usually perform at parties or out busking? Stuff you'd want to hear as background music if you were at a party? I know I have some funky-weird tastes in music, myself, so not everyone would be into my personal favorites.

Party songs help? Please?

Thanks in advance!

What's the age group you'll be playing for?

I might have some suggestions if the grouping is in their 50's and up.
These would be some popular island favorites from the past.

If the group is in their 30's and younger, they might prefer some more
contemporary melodies, and, sorry to say, I'm out of the loop on those
melodies.

Please check out this link to my MP3s:

http://www.4shared.com/file/118556341/90b0f07e/2A_is_for_Aloha.html

It's for one song, but you can follow the links to other songs that might
be appropriate for your gig.

I've been noodling around with an easy version of Tequila in a different key than the original:

The main part goes G / F / G / F etc...

The break goes C7 / G / C7 / G / C7 / G / D / D (add the 5th fret on the A string)

Bring a kazoo.

--Mark

Can't Go Wrong with Brudda Iz

Over the Rainbow, Wonderful World -- too obvious?

Definitely try to match the music with the average age.
I know you are supposed to be background music, but if you include some great sing-a-long standards, they may actually stop talking long enough to listen to you.
Some of one I include in my party list are: You are my Sunshine, Five Foot Blue, Hey Good Looking, Tiny Bubbles.
Everyone knows them and pretty soon the whole room is singing and you are the star, much for fun than fighting to play while everyone yells to get over the music while stuffing their face.
While I don't need to be in a concert setting, but if someone asks me to play background during a meal, I tell them to use a cd player or ipod.

Tuscadero put together a great little song book a while back. Look under tabs and chord section. Maybe on page 4 or 5. Lots of fun stuff

The best party song there is: The Sex Pistols -- Friggin' in the Riggin'.

Or perhaps you attend different kinds of parties from those I fondly remember.

If it's a tropical-themed party, I'd probably go light on the vaudeville-era and pop stuff and learn more toward "island" music. Such as:

Bob Marley
Jimmy Buffett
Polynesian Pop / Hapa Haole songs (Don Ho, etc.)
That danged "Hot, Hot, Hot" song they always play on cruise ships. (Yeah, I know... but people seem to like it!)
Harry Belafonte

JJ

Last edited:
I second Ukulele JJ's perspective. Island music for an island crowd. Anything Jimmy Buffet. Anything Reggae and of course anything Hawaiian. Ric
ricdoug.....now you're in trouble my friend,,,,it's Buffett with two T's.
Bunnyflower, my band specializes in tropical parties. Our typical audience is in the 30 to 60 year range. If it's just you and your uke there are very few Buffett songs that will work for just one performer. Margaritaville is good but I wouldn't attempt Fins or Volcano. If this is during their dinner hour this is the set I'd do with just one person. They'll want laid back easy listening while they're eating.

Blue Moon
Under the Boardwalk
Brown Eyed Girl
Hawaiian Wedding Song
I'm Yours
I can see Clearly Now
Lahaina
Little Brown Gal
Lovely Hula Hands
My Little Grass Shack
Margaritaville
Montego Bay
Pearly Shells
Rainbow (Iz version)
Slow Boat to China
Star of Gladness
Tiny Bubbles
To You Sweetheart Aloha
Tropical Hawaiian Day
White Sandy Beach

Tuscadero put together a great little song book a while back. Look under tabs and chord section. Maybe on page 4 or 5. Lots of fun stuff
I'll second this, it's a great little song book with lots of familier stuff in it.

Heya! I want to say super extreme thank you to all of you! All of the suggestions were awesome, and I used some from each of you. :)

I found out the party crowd was very mixed; definitely kids from one to ninety-two. So, I played a great variety of songs; some tropical (like Ukulele Lady), some oldies (like Buddy Holly and Beatles), some traditional (like Five Foot Two), and family songs for the kids (like Rainbow Connection). I was expecting to just be set up in a corner and "background music" during the dinner, but they actually had a little stage set up, with good mics and everything. So, that was super cool. Also, the audience sang along most of the time, and applauded after every song. I played for over an hour and it was great fun! I would have been happy to just keep going. :D

So, thanks guys so much! You rock. I love this community.

I second Ukulele JJ's perspective. Island music for an island crowd. Anything Jimmy Buffet. Anything Reggae and of course anything Hawaiian. Ric

I agree...you can't go wrong with Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley and Hawaiian. This would cover most age groups.
Don't forget the rum!!!!

Top Bottom