Maple Uke?...

I played a Greg Bennett model UK100 uke by Samick at the store. It's not a maple uke, it's a laminate koa, I think. The bottom line is, it sounded awful. It was dull, muddy, and lacked volume. It had nothing I would call tone. That being said, it was quite good looking. Good looking enough that when I first saw it I was convinced I would have to give in to UAS and buy it. Then I picked it up and played it. I went home empty-handed.

I have a solid maple uke. It sounds very bright.
With, like, a maple top as well as back and sides??? :eek:

Or maybe a spruce top and maple back/sides...?

With, like, a maple top as well as back and sides??? :eek:

Or maybe a spruce top and maple back/sides...?
I don't know but I'm pretty sure it's all maple. It was given to me anonymously. It's a Dawgnot, believed to be a luthiers 1st or 2nd attempt.

If you stacked in on top of two mahogany ukes could it symbolize pancakes and maple syrup?

I've had a couple maple ukes - I've sworn them off as they're too bright for me.

the whole violin family is almost always made with maple back and sides and spruce top

There are some classic Brueko-Models that are all maple. The Sunburst No. 4 and the black Brueko No. 1 slim line are all maple and belong to the most popular ukes over here. Sound is crisp, snappy, with a lot of trebles. Not very subtle, but with a lot of drive!

I -personally- wouldn´t get one as a main uke because I wouldn´t consider them to be very versatile. But I really like them as a sidearm for festivals and parties, ´cause they really cut through when accompanying a rowdy yelling croud! :cheers:

Oh, and do NOT spend money on a Samick! They suck by all standards.:mad:

Top Bottom