PDA

View Full Version : Any ukulele school or instructors you recommend?

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a question for all of you. Since I am learning how to play the ukulele is there any good ukulele school or instructors that you would recommend? Just curious.

Alana

acabooe
05-16-2008, 04:38 AM
If you live on Oahu, I would suggest Roy Sakuma Studios.

There are 4 locations on the island, and they meet once a week for classes.
I found out that everyone ( no matter your skill level ) starts at lesson 1 and goes from there.

Group classes are 16 per lesson, and you have to pay for the first 4 lessons up front.
Individual lessons are 26 per lesson ( I think ).

I am hoping to start taking lessons at the Aiea location next month.

Check out this link.
http://www.roysakuma.net/rsukulelestudios/index.htm
If that didn't work, just google Roy Sakuma, and you will find it.

Good luck, and remember to have fun.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

Guting
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
roy sakuma aiea, stay just long enough to know the basics and to the point where you can learn on your own.

acabooe
05-16-2008, 01:54 PM
roy sakuma aiea, stay just long enough to know the basics and to the point where you can learn on your own.

O, have you been there?

I am currently learning dragon from a tab, so do you thinkj that I don't need Roy at all?

What, or who would you suggest to learn from on Oahu

Acabo'oe

Guting
05-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I was there when "Joy" was around (mid 90's)

I dunno what it is like now, but it was great. Try and see if it works for you.

Kekani
05-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I sent my older two kids to Sakuma, and they were great. Good oppurtunity to play at Kapiolani Park. After 2 years, I took them out and now send them to Terry Brown in Waipahu. With the youngest, I had an option of going to Terry first, but decided to go the Sakuma then Brown route.

Sakuma will instill good playing technique. Terry does other stuff after that.
-Aaron

tripl3thr33
05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
i was talking to someone else about this but i know in kaimuki, bruce shimabukuro (jake's brother) runs a school called ukulele essence. i dont know anything about their teaching but i'm sure that someone like bruce teaches them well (he's pretty good too).

mrmr
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know of a good teacher in San Francisco? This could be 1-on-1 lessons or a small group with myself and 2 or 3 friends.

Thanks!

hawaiianmusiclover06
06-13-2008, 09:34 AM
here's an update.... I will be having my first 'ukulele lesson today with Herb Ohta, Jr. Thanks for all your help!

thejumpingflea
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
here's an update.... I will be having my first 'ukulele lesson today with Herb Ohta, Jr. Thanks for all your help!

He is an awesome guy. Have fun at your lesson, you'll learn a lot!!