d7?

takesuoutswitch

Reaction score
I keep hearing that 0202 is d7, but there isn't even a D note...its just a,f#, c, a...How is this d7? 0.o"...

I keep hearing that 0202 is d7, but there isn't even a D note...its just a,f#, c, a...How is this d7? 0.o"...

It's considered by many to be the "Hawaiian D7". It still serves the purpose of providing the leading tone to a G.

Other ways to play D7 include, 2223, 5655, 7989, 11-12-10-12

EDIT and you can just take the Hawaiian D7 and add a D on the A string.

Don't forget 2023. I like 2023.

Wow thanks, lol. So then what's it's real name?

Well *technically* I think it would be considered an F# Diminished Triad. (2nd Inversion)

Don't forget 2023. I like 2023.

That is still not "technically" a D7. Instead of repeating the A you are repeating the C. That too would be an F# Diminished.

In a standard Major Chord scale you have the idea of:

1 = Major, 2= Minor, 3= Minor, 4= Major, 5= Dominant 7 (In this case, D7), 6= Minor, 7= Diminished (While 8 is 1 and repeats the cycle)

So if you take the Key of G, your basic chord scale would include... G, Am, Bm, C, D7, Em, F#Dim, and back to G. In the case of this "Hawaiian D7" chord, it fits into the chord scale as the Diminished 7 chord, although frequently we use it in place of the dominant 7 chord. The reason for the ability to interchange them, (to an extent) is because they both contain the leading tone (F#) that resolves to the root. (G)

Last edited:
I think you guys got it backwards. Isn't 0202 an Em7? Hawaiian D7 is 2020 . . .

Top Bottom