I think a found a super-bargain ($320 - shipped)

ChiyoDad

Reaction score
For those of you who might be in the market for an inexpensive acoustic guitar in the $300-$500 range, I think I just found your instrument (assuming that you want a dreadnought, or a OOO-body fingerstyle).

All solid-wood, great reviews, excellent vendor with a return-it-anytime-if-you're-not-satisfied, and $320. You can read all the investigative details and find the purchasing links here on my blog.

The catch? It looks like they changed the "name" of the guitar for Costco (in other words, it's a re-badge). Boo-hoo.
;)

The guitar will arrive in 7-10 days. I'll do a follow-up post with a review after I've thoroughly examined the instrument.

Attachments

• phoenix cab-012a.jpg
    phoenix cab-012a.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015-Toyota-Prius-C-13.jpg
    2015-Toyota-Prius-C-13.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 6
  • subaru-xv-crosstrek-hybrid.jpg
    subaru-xv-crosstrek-hybrid.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3
  • Toyota-Prius-front-side-red.jpg
    Toyota-Prius-front-side-red.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3
I recently bought a brand new Takamine EG341SC Electric/Acoustic from The Guitar Factory on eBay. It's usually $399.00 but you can make an offer, so I got it for $279.00. The EG341C sells for $349 at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend, but it doesn't have a solid top. The EG341SC does (solid spruce).

Did I get a good deal? I'm learning how to play acoustic guitar as well, while learning the uke. I'm a little better with the uke though :)

Did I get a good deal? I'm learning how to play acoustic guitar as well, while learning the uke. I'm a little better with the uke though :)

$100 off is a good deal. I guess it really depends on how you like the sound from the Takamine. All guitars have their subtle variances in sound quality. My classical guitars, a Yamaha C45MA and a La Patrie Presentation, are notably different in their acoustic qualities and their playability.

When the Petaluma arrives, I'll be evaluating it against a Seagull S6 (cedar-top, dreadnought body, but wide-neck). The Seagull S6 was the only laminated guitar (laminated on the sides/back, that is) that seemed to come close to the resonance of an all-solid woods Blueridge (which is similar to the Johnson).

The guitar arrived. It is a JO-26 (aka a $440 Johnson Carolina II with solid Englemann spruce top and solid mahogany sides). The only change is the interior label where it reads JO-76. So you're saving $120 minus any costs for a proper set-up ($20-$65) to adjust the action. Of course, if you know how to adjust the action on guitars and ukes, then you're saving a full $120.

I should have a complete review by Wednesday.

Top Bottom