PDA

View Full Version : I think a found a super-bargain ($320 - shipped)

ChiyoDad
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
For those of you who might be in the market for an inexpensive acoustic guitar in the $300-$500 range, I think I just found your instrument (assuming that you want a dreadnought, or a OOO-body fingerstyle).

All solid-wood, great reviews, excellent vendor with a return-it-anytime-if-you're-not-satisfied, and $320. You can read all the investigative details and find the purchasing links here on my blog (http://chiyostrings.blogspot.com/2008/01/investigation-begins-johnson-petaluma.html).

The catch? It looks like they changed the "name" of the guitar for Costco (in other words, it's a re-badge). Boo-hoo.
;)

The guitar will arrive in 7-10 days. I'll do a follow-up post with a review after I've thoroughly examined the instrument.

NukeDOC
01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
wow, that looks like an awesome find! cant wait to read your review on it! and i love the reply by them.... "basically the only difference...." hahah

JumpingPulgas
01-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I recently bought a brand new Takamine EG341SC Electric/Acoustic from The Guitar Factory on eBay. It's usually $399.00 but you can make an offer, so I got it for $279.00. The EG341C sells for $349 at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend, but it doesn't have a solid top. The EG341SC does (solid spruce).

Did I get a good deal? I'm learning how to play acoustic guitar as well, while learning the uke. I'm a little better with the uke though :)

ChiyoDad
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Did I get a good deal? I'm learning how to play acoustic guitar as well, while learning the uke. I'm a little better with the uke though :)

$100 off is a good deal. I guess it really depends on how you like the sound from the Takamine. All guitars have their subtle variances in sound quality. My classical guitars, a Yamaha C45MA and a La Patrie Presentation, are notably different in their acoustic qualities and their playability.

When the Petaluma arrives, I'll be evaluating it against a Seagull S6 (cedar-top, dreadnought body, but wide-neck). The Seagull S6 was the only laminated guitar (laminated on the sides/back, that is) that seemed to come close to the resonance of an all-solid woods Blueridge (which is similar to the Johnson).

ChiyoDad
01-13-2008, 05:24 PM
The guitar arrived. It is a JO-26 (aka a $440 Johnson Carolina II with solid Englemann spruce top and solid mahogany sides). The only change is the interior label where it reads JO-76. So you're saving $120 minus any costs for a proper set-up ($20-$65) to adjust the action. Of course, if you know how to adjust the action on guitars and ukes, then you're saving a full $120.

I should have a complete review by Wednesday.

n0ukf
01-15-2008, 07:24 AM
The EG341C sells for $349 at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend, but it doesn't have a solid top.

I know you mean it's laminated (plywood) rather than a single solid thickness, but I can't help but think of a top riddled with holes all over. :eek: (Think Willie Nelson's guitar.) :D

ChiyoDad
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm a day late but I completed my review. ;)

Click here to read it. (http://chiyostrings.blogspot.com/2008/01/review-johnson-petaluma-jo-76-aka.html)