Solid Body Electric Uke Makers

vialde

Reaction score
Here's a question for the forum.

Aside from Risa, Bugsgear and Uklectic are there any other Solid Body ukes out there?

Ko'olau make FABULOUS solidbody ukes. So does a guy named Pete Howlett, who makes the "uklectic," but his ukes just do not have a sound that appeals to me at all.

i was looking into this and i saw a scale model of a les paul but im pritty sure that its a custom:confused:

Not quite a Les Paul, but these K-wave by Kiwaya ukes look like Fenders if you take a drink in advance. I believe a similar solid body uke was made in Korea as well, but I can't remember the brand.

There is a current thread from Craig with a link to his recording of "Tenderly" done on a Ko'olau solid. It is phenominal sounding. Of course this is mostly due to great playing, but the uke sounds great.

Ko'olau make FABULOUS solidbody ukes. So does a guy named Pete Howlett, who makes the "uklectic," but his ukes just do not have a sound that appeals to me at all.

@Nuke-ulele

I didn't realize that Ko'olau made solid bodies, you don't happen to have any pics do you? Couldn't find any on their websites.

Any Ko'olau Solid Body owners out there got an opinion?

I'm selling my Elecuke

This was a for-sale posting, but my electric uke has been sold.

Last edited:
Ko'olau CE-1

Hi Guys,

I received an e-mail from John Kitakis from Ko'olau the other day announcing the new Ko'olau CE-1, semi-hollow body tenor. It has a Koa top, mahogany body, satin finish. L.R.Baggs Element active system, and includes a hardshell case. List price $899.00

Here it is:
Ko'olau_CE-1_002[1].JPG

@Nuke-ulele

I didn't realize that Ko'olau made solid bodies, you don't happen to have any pics do you? Couldn't find any on their websites.

Any Ko'olau Solid Body owners out there got an opinion?

See Gaby's post! ;) They have more upscale ones as well. They are right on their website in line with all the acoustics. Just keep scrolling down and you'll find the CE models.

Hi Guys,

I received an e-mail from John Kitakis from Ko'olau the other day announcing the new Ko'olau CE-1, semi-hollow body tenor. It has a Koa top, mahogany body, satin finish. L.R.Baggs Element active system, and includes a hardshell case. List price $899.00

Here it is:
Ko'olau_CE-1_002[1].JPG

awe man. i dont wanna build my own anymore. i just wanna buy that one! think for more money they can make one with a slotted headstock?

Last edited:
I fail to see how that one would be better than a Howlett. Ok, so it has the tone dial, but that's about it. I suppose to each their own. :) It doesn't make me stop wanting the Howlett Uklectic. :rock:

Replying to myself, but one factor, that may or may not be a factor (I don't think it should be with these solid bodies, but that's why there should be more choices.) - is that koa is getting really tough for Pete to find. He's making a switch to more homegrown woods. The choice between koa and not could be powerful for some.

It's the choice between custom or not, lower and higher price, and materials.

Hi Guys,

Here it is:
Ko'olau_CE-1_002[1].JPG

I want one too! I saw the Uklectic but an electric without a volume knob just sucks, especially when you pay more than $800!

Headstock

awe man. i dont wanna build my own anymore. i just wanna buy that one! think for more money they can make one with a slotted headstock?

When I ordered my CE3, John stated they were unable to slot the headstock. I I own two Ko'olaus-one with and without a slotted headstock. I can honestly say that on the standard headstock, string changing is easier. But I love the look of the slots on my M300 SP!:)

A Howlett isn't 800 bucks though... I'm not arguing the preference for volume knob or no volume knob, but the starting price is 475. Of course you can spec it out to have lots of bling for your 800, but then it will have tons of bling.

edit - gosh darnit to heck, koolau is only doing tenors. For tenor fans, that's a hole bunch of awesome because it means yet more to choose from. Howlett does have concert, tenor, and soprano isn't posted yet but he's been posting pics of them for a while now.

Last edited:
are howletts based out of US?

edit: ok i did some research they are not based out of US. they are in the UK.

and according to the site, they are $765 for the tenor. before shipping.

Last edited:
Some of us don't want sticky icky tenors! :p

But speaking of other options, this one doens't exist yet, but Risa debuted a new electric at NAMM. It's also in the Les Paul shape and I believe it's a full-on electric with steel strings and humbuckers, and it's supposed to have more of a rocking sound than the current Risa steel string electrics.

The Howlett soprano electric is in the shape of a Martin, as opposed to a very tiny les paul.

In short, I don't think any of these options suck. A Ko'olau uke doesn't suck, a Pete Howlett uke in no way sucks, and Risa is the one who started this madness, so Rigk doesn't suck either. Lots of awesome choices to go around. :)

Top Bottom