finger board stain

bluesuke

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used this ? I'm planing to do my head stock with ebony and I was going to order it form Stew mac and they recommend a stain because some of the ebony may show some light grain is this necessary ? I want something really black similar to Chuck Moores and William Kings head stocks

I've been using Fiebing's leather dye. It's an alcohol based dye that penetrates into the wood. I originally bought it because it came recommended for use on tobacco pipes. I used it on this cbu build to ebonize the headstock:
CBU0003_DSC0003.jpg

I'm also using it on my current build, to ebonize the fretboard and the bridge. It may wear through eventually, but one Q-Tip dipped twice will do the whole fretboard, so touch up would be easy. Just don't get it on the body!

I'm pretty sure luthiers like Chuck and William use ebony to get that ebony look, but I could be wrong.

Dyeing ebony black is akin to dyeing koa brown. Let the beauty of the wood show.:)

Jude

Leather dye ! Thats exactly why I read this forum. I also wondered what to use . Thanks luthiers lounge
Dan

Thank you guys. I know some of my questions my seem a little silly but I can't tell how much this forum has helped me. It really makes a difference and saves me money on occasion thats always a bonus

For every "silly" question that is asked there are probably a dozen other people who are wondering the same thing. I know that several times I have been on the brink of posting a question when someone else beats me to it.

I used to use Feibings leather dye, but anymore I think the striped look of ebony under a clear coat is great. The downside of using the dye is that it bleeds when used with shellac, which I use as a sealer. I have used it on fretboards, applied with the frets and dots on it, without problem. It wipes right off of the frets and inlay material. If you're looking for black ebony, then I'd suggest Cumberland Acoustic. Steve has made me some great deals on odd sized headstock veneers that are cut from scrap. I've also heard that Allen Guitars is a great source but haven't bought any from them. StewMac is too expensive.

Top Bottom