$50ish uke for my 6 year old

blueskyuke

Reaction score
I was about to order the pink dolphin from MGM for my soon-to-be 6 year old's birthday. Just before I placed the order, I asked her "So what color ukulele would you like?" She said: "Wood color, of course. I don't want some silly baby colored ukulele!" I'm at a loss here. Is there another decent uke for about $50? I have a Kala KA-ST, a Mele Solid Koa concert and a pineapple soprano from waverly street. Suggestions? It's 2 weeks to her birthday.

Wow! I am planning to get my seven year old daughter a pink dolphin very soon. I can't imagine she'd want "wood color" over pink! Maybe you'll have a fine mahagony snob there! ;)

I was about to order the pink dolphin from MGM for my soon-to-be 6 year old's birthday. Just before I placed the order, I asked her "So what color ukulele would you like?" She said: "Wood color, of course. I don't want some silly baby colored ukulele!"
That's a very astute little lady who obviously has good taste. :)

lanikai lu21 is a real uke for that kinda price. I still play mine

Thanks! I'll check with my daughter before I order. And maybe order myself a dolphin instead!!

My now 14-year-old said the same thing before Christmas. The difference was that I already had her dolphin in the house. I ended up buying her a Lanikai LU-21, and keeping the dolphin myself.

I got my 2 year old son a Lanikai LU21 (he wanted my Kala Spruce Thinline tenor, not 2yr old friendly!)- it sounds good enough, he seems to enjoy dragging it around, playing it now and then and till now it has been relatively unscathed from all the scrapes it has been in. Though I think he might have preferred a cherry red dolphin! :)

My daughter changed her mind again. She saw the light blue burst and feel in loved it. I just ordered it.

My daughter changed her mind again. She saw the light blue burst and feel in loved it. I just ordered it.

Awesome! I've been considering getting the blue burst and red burst for my 5yo twins and the pink one for my 7yo daughter as gifts this spring. The only bummer is, if I were buying one for myself it'd be the yellow/orange burst! Guess I'll live with the candy colors. :)

Makala do a pretty cheap pineapple. I picked one up for a friend for about £30-35. So that would translate to about $50. It's nice.

Oops! LOL!
Just got confirmation from MGM, the light blue burst dolphin uke is on its way.

there goes the rest of the conversation. all that disussion... for nothing!!!:(

;)

haha I have the mind of a twelve year old...I can't help it ;) Good luck to your daughter with her new uke! Get 'em hooked young, that's my philosophy!

I bought my grandson a Kala MKS - I restrung it with Aquila's. He plays it when he comes over, but I'll have to admit that I often take it out and play it myself when he is not here - it has really good intonation. It gets almost as much play as my Mele Koa Concert; but not as much as my Kala Acacia Tenor. The MK-S is a great little ukulele, if you get it from MGM I believe it comes strung with Aquilas.

Top Bottom