Frustrated!

grubblybubbly

Reaction score
Grrrrr...

Don't you find it annoying when people contantly assume that ukulele's are toys? i am looking for a new ukulele and all my friends think that there no point in buying a uke over $50 or so. My sister says that my guitar sound better than ukulele's and that i should stick with that. Do other people go through this?

feel free to yell (like so: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!;)

I experience this in some music shops, but (surprisingly) not from people who know me. Most people say "wow, really?" when they find out I play the uke.

lucky... ^^

i plat guitar, and people seem to think it's"more of an instrument", if you could say that.

I get that from music stores too.

I once bought a Kala Pineapple Pineapple at a local music store. The intonation was real bad so I tried to returned it 2 days later. The manager was reluctant to accept it back. I told the manager that I'd be happy to keep it if they set it up properly. He told me that it would cost him $60 of time and why bother with something that cost $75. I told him about MGM, he looked him up on eBay and saw that MGM "bothers" with setting up the ukes he sells. He instructed the clerk to refund my money and told me to order from MGM LOL.

Haha, my lab partner laughed at the idea of electric ukuleles. "What would you need that for? Ukuleles are only for playing around and sitting by the campfire." But reactions like that are pretty much exception. Usually people are like "wow, you play the ukulele? That's awesome! Do you have it with you?" So yeah.

This is why I love the ukulele though, I sometimes feel a bit pretentious taking a guitar camping or away with friends, its all a bit serious, but a ukulele you can't feel that way they are just a great fun instrument.

I remember a quote that Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles said in an interview with Sports illustrated back whe he was about to break Lou Gherigs consecutive game streak. He was asked about his children and how important they were in his life and this is what he said. "Children are the secret of life and people that don't have them just aren't in on the secret." Don't you think that the same thing can be said of the ukulele?

I once bought a Kala Pineapple Pineapple at a local music store. The intonation was real bad so I tried to returned it 2 days later. The manager was reluctant to accept it back. I told the manager that I'd be happy to keep it if they set it up properly. He told me that it would cost him $60 of time and why bother with something that cost $75. I told him about MGM, he looked him up on eBay and saw that MGM "bothers" with setting up the ukes he sells. He instructed the clerk to refund my money and told me to order from MGM LOL.

Good story!

I remember a quote that Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles said in an interview with Sports illustrated back whe he was about to break Lou Gherigs consecutive game streak. He was asked about his children and how important they were in his life and this is what he said. "Children are the secret of life and people that don't have them just aren't in on the secret." Don't you think that the same thing can be said of the ukulele?

YES!

On both accounts.

Well, if this did happen around here, It probably wouldn't bother me, cause, they're the ones missin out :)

But uke is a good thing where I live ;)

Yes!!!

I was at a convention last night and brought my uke along, and was carrying it around in a case, and someone stopped me and asked, "Hey, is that an instrument?" I said, "Yes, it's an ukulele," and they just frowned and said, "Oh." Like it's not really an instrument. Bah!
But, that's really been an exception rather than the rule for me. Usually people are surprised and say, "wow, really?" Though, many often go on to ask if I only play Hawaiian music...

great story. the way i see it, you probably should have ordered from MGM in the first place.

Not here in Hawai'i, the 'ukulele cool factor is eternal here.

great story. the way i see it, you probably should have ordered from MGM in the first place.

Yah probably should have. It was an impulse buy to feed my UAS which is much harder to asuage when you have to wait for UPS to deliver it. The local store actually had a better price then the total price through MGM by $25 but as they say, you get what you pay for.

When I posted on my Facebook for my business that we are selling Ukuleles, someone responded and asked the price range. When I said $30 - $300, one of my regulars, a skater kid, wrote something about never paying $300 for a stupid Ukulele. I deleted the comment and he will get the death eye from me next time he comes in!!!

Let the ignorant be ignorant. They are the ones losing out. :)

or, as you say this guy is on facebook... send him this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJlkEneOYw0 (facemeltingukulele doing a cover of little wing, to save you clicking on the link as a lot of you have prob seen it already)

I had no idea what the uke could do before seeing this... sometimes people just need educating. I've thought things were lame until someones shown me something to completely switch me round.

Last edited:
Ugh. We had company over the other day, and I had my uke out in the living room where I had been practicing earlier, and the guy asked about it so I showed it to him, and played a few chords. He made some snarky comment like, "Two more strings and you'll have a real instrument." I laughed it off, but it did bug me a little bit. Luckily, most people don't respond like that when I show-and-tell my uke.

Ugh. We had company over the other day, and I had my uke out in the living room where I had been practicing earlier, and the guy asked about it so I showed it to him, and played a few chords. He made some snarky comment like, "Two more strings and you'll have a real instrument." I laughed it off, but it did bug me a little bit. Luckily, most people don't respond like that when I show-and-tell my uke.

yeah, that's the kind of thing i am talking about.

this thread has been... REVIVED!!! mmmwwwwuuuuaaahahahahaha!

Top Bottom