can i have your low g knowledge

raecarter

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying it on my concert kala. Does it still allow you to play anysong? Does it sound hugely different etc etc

you can play any song, chords are the same, picking changes though. The sound of chords is pretty different, a nice change, give it a shot

Not much changes in playability. It's exactly like what it's called.
The G's there, just one octave lower. Easiest way to find it is to just try it. String sets are quite cheap.

seems like a really good idea if you have two concerts.... gives you a bit more range depending on what sound you want, think I'll give it a go when my second concert comes through. As kissing says its still a G, just low, so the only difference is its going to give a different feel to what your playing.

You can buy low g singles and switch out just that string. It will only set you back a couple of bucks.

I have a Kala KA-C and the wounded low g string was way over powering so I took it off within 10 mins of trying. I got a set of Worth Clear Nylon Low G and it sounded way better to my ears. But even then, I kept going back and forth from low to high g. One suggestion that I would give is try it for a few days before you decide you dont like it... Also, IMO songs like Im yours dont really sound that good with log G but something more mellow like Hootie and the blowfish, let her cry sounds awesome.

It's good to have one uke tuned to high G, and one to low G. For fingerpicking low G, you might find the low G string a little too loud. But you will learn to adjust your touch when you play low G versus high G, and after you get used to it, you don't even think about it.

I think it is nice to be able to add those few lower notes. And it can add extra depth to a group if you are playing with high G ukuleles.

–Lori

I think it is nice to be able to add those few lower notes. And it can add extra depth to a group if you are playing with high G ukuleles.
–Lori

I agree with Lori that when playing with other people it might be nice to have a low G instrument, just like it would be good to use more than one size ukulele.

However, for strumming and fingerpicking I find high G to be best. But I think that there is a case of using those extra 3 diatonic notes you get with the low G set-up when picking out a melody.

To answer the original question. All chords will sound correct if you change to low G, but tabs won't. The majority of tab arrangements are for high G.

Don't forget that when you fit a low G correctly you have to widen and deepen the notch in the nut. Once you have done that, you can't go back to high G without changing the nut.

Thanks everyone for your help I'm really not comfortable trying to alter the nut do I just widen it? What tool would I use

Thanks everyone for your help I'm really not comfortable trying to alter the nut do I just widen it? What tool would I use

Try putting the string on first. See how it "sits" in the notch. It will probably be to high and may slip out of the notch when you strum it. However, you may not need to adjust it in order to try it out for a few weeks.

If you yourself are not comfortable widening the notch, seek the help of someone who has done it before e.g. a good guitar shop set-up person.

To do it yourself you would need a nut file. It is not quite as easy as it looks either. DON'T take it too low or you will cause the string to rattle on the lower frets.

Ken said - "Don't forget that when you fit a low G correctly you have to widen and deepen the notch in the nut. Once you have done that, you can't go back to high G without changing the nut."

Perhaps if you're using a wound G. I've used the Worth Clear and Brown low G and the Fremont Black and Clear low G without any modification to the nut slot on my KoAloha and Pono ukes.

It's fun trying to play Ken's high g arrangements with a low G strung uke. You have to get the high g's at the third fret, second string. I've just started playing his arrangements but can do it on "Down In The Sally Garden". He has a free tab download of this song, try it both ways, you'll have fun doing it. There is also a Youtube video of him playing it so you'll know how it sounds when played properly.

Jude

Last edited:
Ok I've ordered some worth unwound LG's I've looked at my nut and the gap at the c is the same distance down as all the others but angled wider in a like v shape. Is that what id have to do after I've chanced my luck without adjusting first?

Top Bottom