Playing Uke with your family

SamWise

Reaction score
I've been playing around a year and a half now (played guitar for over 20 years), and the uke has really caught on in our household! My wife loves the Kala Watermelon that I won in one of Deach's contests, and occassionally picks it up (she knows three chords and can play Cecilia). My elder son expressed interest too, so for his 13th birthday in October, I got him a Kala solid spruce top tenor. He's far from religious about practising, and has taken up bass too, but is slowly making progress, and will at some point bust out and improve fast. We decided to make a video together, now that he can change between his first two chords fairly fast!

Nice video! It's great that you can play with your family like that. What a fun activity to share.
Your son is very good looking. He must be popular with the girls!
–Lori

Awesome! Love the behind the head action. I need to try that!

Did I really hear "And now I'm off to smoke some weed" at the end? Hahaha....
Cheers,
Skottoman

We always had instruments around and played in school band etc, but since the uke has come into our lives music has exploded in our home. Now our living room is a music room. My son and one daughter play uke and bass. Both of my other daughters play uke and one is doing great on guitar. Everyone is messing around with the keyboard. My oldest daughter is in a punk band and she and I are both in my band. My husband is our sound man. Our garage is full of amps, speakers mixing boards and various sound equipment. This has all happened in the last two years and I blame the ukulele completely.

I was never a formal music person in my youth; I took up bass and singing when I was 15, so I wasn't surprised that my boy didn't express any real interest in that. I just sat back, waited, let him have a go at things when he wanted, and saw if anything would stick! The house has always been full of music (I play guitar, bass, mandolin, flute, tin whistles, lap steel, melodeon, djembe, harmonica and more besides the uke, and write for guitar magazines), so the opportunity was always there. It's lovely to have it actually come to fruition a bit! My younger son, who just turned two, has always been fascinated with musical instruments, and so might start earlier.

Thanks Lori, he is a bit of a heartbreaker!

haha that's great! I've had my uke for a few weeks, and last week I decided to play in front of my family by way of a jam session with my brother, who plays guitar. It was a lot of fun learning new songs with him, and it beat the hell outta playing alone in my dorm room at school. Jammin with family and friends is definitely the best way to do it! It's super awesome that your whole family has picked up on the uke. It's a great bonding experience! :D

That was great. Time goes by so fast and being able to spend some of that time with family is priceless. Memories your kids won't forget.
My 3 year old wants to be a Luka-laylee star, the 10 year old is in and out with it but is doing a power point presentation on Jake so who knows.

That was great. Time goes by so fast and being able to spend some of that time with family is priceless. Memories your kids won't forget.
My 3 year old wants to be a Luka-laylee star, the 10 year old is in and out with it but is doing a power point presentation on Jake so who knows.

Isn't your three year old going to be a luthier? I vaguely (ok not really vaguely) recall him telling you that he can fix the ukulele:)

Top Bottom