Ukulele building class in LA - April 22-25

Harold O.

Reaction score
Luthier Rick Turner will be teaching a ukulele building class in Los Angeles April 22 thru 25. That's a Thursday thru Sunday. We are limited to 6 students. First come basis. This class is suitable for beginners and experienced builders.

The class will be held in the shop at West Hills Wood in the west San Fernando Valley. Class will run six to eight hours per day. Kits will be provided by Rick. All tools and supplies will handled by West Hills wood. At the end of four days, each student will have a completed instrument of their own to take home.

Bending and finishing will not be done in the class, but Rick will provide a demonstration of both.

Rick Turner is world famous for his Renaissance guitars and Compass Rose ukuleles. Here's a great opportunity to meet and work with Rick without having to spend a fortune or years of time on a self-directed learning curve. AND you'll have a custom built ukulele of your own making!:drool:

For a look at the course curriculum, click on the "Rick Teaches" box on Rick's site.
http://www.renaissanceguitars.com

Cost is $400. Since we are limited to 6 people, a $100 reservation deposit will be required. PM me for more information.

Last edited:
sounds like a great opportunity. not sure if i can afford it. are you expected to do the bending and finishing at home? what's required there?

sounds like a great opportunity. not sure if i can afford it. are you expected to do the bending and finishing at home? what's required there?

We will not be bending during the class. Rick will bring pre-bent sides for our instruments. He will also give a demonstration of bending technique and I am sure we will all get a chance to burn our hands.

Finishing will have to be done afterward. There simply isn't enough time during the four days for applying, drying, sanding, etc. Again, Rick will give a demonstration of how to properly finish our instruments on our own.

Day Four will end with us setting up and stringing the instruments.

Man, I totally want to do this, I just can not get the time off and the $ together by April 22, I have too much going on right now. Do you think he will have another course later in the year, perhaps in the fall?

If we get enough response this time around and people speak up about it, we can maybe find another hole in Rick's schedule. He's quite busy with his own shop plus traveling around the world. It took awhile to get this date set. So the best I can say is "we'll see".

We have three signed up so far.

Last edited:
Our local uke group met to play yesterday. Three of them will be at the ukulele building class.

As it happens, the final day of the class, April 25, is one of the Sundays on our uke playing schedule. So we'll have the players meet at the shop for some playing, visiting with the "new builders", checking in with Rick, and probably some barbecue action. That'll make for a great day!

There is room for a couple more people in the class.

luthier.jpg

Bump Bump. April is fast approaching and we have room for a couple of more people to join in the fun.

Now's a good time to stop thinking and start doing!

Just two weeks out!

I'm guessing there will be one additional (forum) reminder after this, but the opportunity to build with Rick Turner in LA will pass you by if you don't speak up now. The last one of these building classes was NEVER. The next one is in two weeks.

Cancelled

We had several people inquire, but not enough committed to the ukulele building class as led by Rick Turner.

Rick and I will check our schedules and see about setting something up for the Fall.

Top Bottom